Wheel/Tire size 1962 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Wheel/Tire size 1962 GT Hawk

Let me start over...I bought 15X7" wheels from a 2004 Ford Ranger that fit on car. Discount Tire here in San Diego is saying I could put 205 or 215/ 70 or 75/15 tires on my 7" Wide rims.
    What size tire would be best for my car? I will not go out and buy 6" Wide wheels. Thank You!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Silver.3 JPG.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1751513 Have the center caps but Ford logo needs to be covered up with sticker or something.

According to the standards set forth by NWRA (National Wheel and Rim Association) for such things, you could run as large a 75-series tire as P225/75R15 on a 7" wheel, or as large as a P255/70R15 70-series tire on that same wheel.

So, really, you can pretty much put anything on those 7" wheels that will clear your Hawk's rear fenders and front suspension.

Be careful when mounting up any combination, however; be sure you have the clearance you need before investing in a whole set of tires. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Actually wanting to put the narrowest width tires on these rims not wider tires. The car now has 225/60/15's on 9" MB Motoring wheels. (too wide for my likening).Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1708265 Nice looking wheels but too wide for this car...at least up front.

Name:	Stu 62.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1708266 A work in progress

Comment

I have late 80's to early 90's Lincoln rims on the car which I do believe are 6 inch wide . The tires are 225/75R15's on there now and I have had no problems .
        No scrubbing and the car drives and rides very nice.. Front end suspension and steering are all in good shape . Car does have power steering so hard to judge
        if its hard to steer .
        Attached Files
        Love my Lark

Comment

215-70-15 on 6 1/2" wheel No clearance problems what so ever.

Name:	20160503_221108 4up.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1708286

Comment

I put (4) FoMoCo 15" x 6-½" 1983-1997 Crown Victoria (fit other Ford models too) rims and 215R75-15 radials on my 1962 GT Hawk. The car looks great and and rides great tooClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1708354. No clearance issues.
            Last edited by 56GH; 08-13-2016, 11:16 AM. Reason: Dates wrong
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
              I put (4) FoMoCo 15" x 6-½" 1983-1997 Crown Victoria (fit other Ford models too) rims and 215R75-15 radials on my 1962 GT Hawk. The car looks great and and rides great too. No clearance issues.
              How about spinning Wheel Covers? Is that a problem or are these old enough to have the blocking bumps on each side of the Valve Stem like Chryslers have?

Some people use Steel Valve Stems to prevent the Rubber ones from being Cut off, but that still does not stop the Wheel Covers from riding hard on the Stems and they CAN be noisy and damaging to the Wheel cover.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 08-13-2016, 12:02 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No "blocking bumps" on the FoMoCo rims but the metal valve stems solve the issue of moving full wheelcovers. Never saw a problem with noise or damage to the covers on two different -K6 Studebakers over 20 years. I believe the metal valve stems are chrome plated brass. I used NAPA 90-416 "Tubeless Clamp-in Tire Valves," TR-416, 1-¼" long.

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1708373
                Bill L.
                1962 GT Hawk

Comment

To me that is just a Band Aid, not a Fix. Thanks, but I prefer the Fix.

I wonder if you could buy "Caterpillar" Grommets or Plastic Rings to go around the Valve Stem Holes, THAT would help.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you notice the NAPA valve stem packaging, the valve stems come with two plastic seals. One of them is 0.625" in diameter and is used for rims with larger holes. However, the FoMoCo rim uses the 0.453" diameter seal. The 0.625" diameter seal fits over the stem and the smaller diameter on it fits right into the wheelcover hole. You could use it to go around the valve stem if you're concerned about damage to the wheelcover.
                    Bill L.
                    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

The wheel covers on my Crown Vic wheels did rotate. Only on the front wheels, and toward the front of the car as if they want to continue rotating as I stop. I used JB Weld to glue a 1/8" x 5/16" x 5/8" piece of aluminum bar on either side of the valve stem where the wheel cover mounts, 3/4" from center of the valve stem on each side of it. It worked great and stopped the rotating. Simple, easy and not enough weight to affect balance. If you do it before buying tires a small weld bead would work well too.

Comment

I haven't had any problems so far with the wheel covers moving .. But haven't logged on more then 5000 kms yet .. I will have to keep an eye on them ..
                        Love my Lark

Comment

Absolutely no wheel cover issues from my 63 Hawk, Marquis 15 x 6 wheels with 225/75 tires

Comment

Has anyone tried to see if 14in rims would fit on the rear of a 62 GT Hawk? I am looking at some centerlines 14in rear rim and 15in front

Comment

I'd go with the 205s.

Comment

Working...
                              X