This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 finless hawk

Hi everyone. I am a new member from down under.
    Working on buying my first Studebaker.
    I have found a 1960 ex New Zealand finless Hawk.
    Can't decide if its genuine.
    has any one seen or heard of such a beast.
    Regards Allan
    Allan Tyler Melbourne Australia

All 1960 Hawks had fins but the fins were removable so it's certainly possible that it's still a 1960 model. The serial number on the driver's side doorpost will tell you what it is for sure. If it's a '60 Hawk, the serial number should begin with "60V".

Comment

All 1960 Hawks had fins but the fins were removable so it's certainly possible that it's still a 1960 model. The serial number on the driver's side doorpost will tell you what it is for sure. If it's a '60 Hawk, the serial number should begin with "60V".

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by alpayed

Regards Allan

I believe some of the Hawks assembled in Belgium had the fins deleted on them.

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by alpayed

Regards Allan

I believe some of the Hawks assembled in Belgium had the fins deleted on them.

Craig

Comment

All US 1960 Hawks had fins, but some originally sold outside the US did not have fins. If you are concerned about this, get the build order for this car from the SNM. That will tell you where the car was assembled and more.

The serial number may start with 60V or 60S. All US 1960 Hawks were 289 V8s, but some export 1960 Hawks were 259 V8s or 170 ci six cylinder engines.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

All US 1960 Hawks had fins, but some originally sold outside the US did not have fins. If you are concerned about this, get the build order for this car from the SNM. That will tell you where the car was assembled and more.

The serial number may start with 60V or 60S. All US 1960 Hawks were 289 V8s, but some export 1960 Hawks were 259 V8s or 170 ci six cylinder engines.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Couldnt you special order them without fins in the US? Seems like it
                was Studebakers policy of doing WHATEVER the customer wanted.

Tom
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Couldnt you special order them without fins in the US? Seems like it
                  was Studebakers policy of doing WHATEVER the customer wanted.

Tom
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Could someone post a photo of a finless Hawk?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Could someone post a photo of a finless Hawk?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Here is my 60 Hawk - I definned it. One was bent when I bought the
                        car, and I didnt like them enough to spend the cash to fix it. I used
                        '55 top fender stainless and taillights.

Picture was taken about 15 years ago, roughly 10 years ago I totalled it.[V]

Tom

Comment

Here is my 60 Hawk - I definned it. One was bent when I bought the
                          car, and I didnt like them enough to spend the cash to fix it. I used
                          '55 top fender stainless and taillights.

Picture was taken about 15 years ago, roughly 10 years ago I totalled it.[V]

Tom

Comment

I am trying to post a link to a photo tken in mid 1960s of a 1960 "finless" Hawk owned then by my Dutch friend. I have seen a few of these surviving and also two Golden Hawks that may have rolled out from the Belgium plant without the fins. But living in Finland I decided to keep the fins on mine ....

Pekka from Helsinki, [u]Fin</u>land

Golden Hawk 1958
                            President State Coupe 1955 (Mild Kustom)
                            sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I am trying to post a link to a photo tken in mid 1960s of a 1960 "finless" Hawk owned then by my Dutch friend. I have seen a few of these surviving and also two Golden Hawks that may have rolled out from the Belgium plant without the fins. But living in Finland I decided to keep the fins on mine ....

Pekka from Helsinki, [u]Fin</u>land

Golden Hawk 1958
                              President State Coupe 1955 (Mild Kustom)
                              sigpic

1960 Lark VIII Regal convertible - 1964 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X