questions about 283 chevrolet engnes in studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: questions about 283 chevrolet engnes in studebakers

I know Studebaker started using Chevy engines at some point.

When used in a Studebaker:

What color was the engine painted?
    Did it have "CHEVROLET" script on the valve covers?

I see these reproductions valve cover decals on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-1966-ST...Cyn0fQ&vxp=mtr

Was thinking maybe they used the smooth top 327 style valve covers and put the decals on them. Can't find any pics.

Any help appreciated.

1. The bare rocker arm covers did not have any script on them.

2. They were 1962-1964 Studebaker yellow at the beginning of the 1965 model year. At some undetermined point during 1965 production, they became black and continued as such for the balance of the 1965 model year and all of 1966.

3. The 283 reproduction rocker arm cover "decals" cited are what you need for authenticity.

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here is one view for you:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1708182 StudeDave57's '65 Cruiser with Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic, Automatic Trans.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, do you have any idea when they went from yellow to black during 1965 production? There wouldn't have been any need for them to make note of it, since it really didn't change anything from a service parts standpoint. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's the other side of my '65 Cruiser's 283~

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1708184

Yes, she's a bit dirty, but what'da want when she's just shy of 300,000 miles...?

One note-
          on these Canadian cars the engine block is always black.

As to Bob's question- I don't think anyone has ever nailed down when that change happened.
          But for the record- Sweet Pea is s/n C515052, and was built in January 1965.

Attached Files
          Last edited by StudeDave57; 08-06-2016, 03:31 PM.
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

They most likely used the Checker, Jeep and GMC 283/327 Blank Valve Covers on the "Stude." 283's.
            As you can see after the first early '65's with Pale Yellow Valve covers to simulate the Studebaker 259/289's, all '65 &'66 Engines/Trans. were completely Black.

Remember these are not ACTUALLY "CHEVROLET" USA Engines, but McKinnon Motors LTD. Canada, Div. of GM: 194, 230 and 283 Engines. They had Studebaker peculiar Serial Numbers and I believe "Canada" marked/Cast in, markings on several Parts.

Bob: I do not know when the Yellow to Black Valve Covers happened.
            My '66 Cruiser is late enough to have the Black Valve Covers, Overhead suspended Gas Pedal, (as ALL '66's had) but has the later '66 "S" Emblem Heal Pads on the Carpets, but not late enough for the Wide Carpet Sill Plates.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Those cars with the chevy engines must handle a lot better than the cars with the stude engine...about 200# less weight over the front end? Must have performed better too.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Now, if they had just used the 327/350 HP and bolted a 4 speed to it..................hmmmmmm.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                  Those cars with the chevy engines must handle a lot better than the cars with the stude engine...about 200# less weight over the front end? Must have performed better too.
                  I think the weight differences were stated here at more like 80-100 Lbs. and they handle noticeably lighter, but not a Lot.

I can tell you that from head to head drag racing experience, that the 283 performs very close to equally the SAME as a 2 Barrel 259 with both having the same Axle Ratio, weight and Transmission.
                  The much better torque of the 289 would blow the 283 away.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

With a 300HP or 350HP 327 and 4speed and/or Powershift, Studebaker could have made a Superlark. All the parts were there. Avanti Motor Corp was using 327's
                    james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                      With a 300HP or 350HP 327 and 4speed and/or Powershift, Studebaker could have made a Superlark. All the parts were there. Avanti Motor Corp was using 327's
                      Probably could have, but seems like they had resigned themselves to producing the most inexpensive best "profit" cars to survive by then.

Comment

Exactly what I'm considering of doing...

Comment

Originally posted by T. Turtle View Post
                          Exactly what I'm considering of doing...
                          Make a super hawk?
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Had to improvise a bit with the decals as I am using PCV system that uses the valve covers for PCV valve and breather set up. This is going in my 49 2R16A.Click image for larger version

Name:	leftside3.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1709598

Comment

Wow, no camel hump Exhaust Manifolds huh? That looks SO different to the McKinnon Engines I am used to seeing.
                              I guess these are the rear dump Truck units that MAY fit your Truck better?

Good job cutting up the Decals to fit.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X