Air Conditioning availaibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning availaibility

Is the "Bob's Studebaker Parts Complete A/C System Kit: still available?

If so, how do I get in touch with them? I called 972-843-3402 and the number is no longer in service.

Any information about AC for my Stude K hardtop would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

I don't believe it is available any longer.

Comment

Kind of a hillbilly fix, but I've been thinking about one of the small portable air conditioners and using a Honda generator to run it.
      I've seen it done on a couple Model A Fords because they guy's wife needed it for better breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        Kind of a hillbilly fix, but I've been thinking about one of the small portable air conditioners and using a Honda generator to run it.
        I've seen it done on a couple Model A Fords because they guy's wife needed it for better breathing.
        Funny, I just heard this remedy mentioned on a re-run of "Car Talk" on public radio over the weekend. Some one called in to ask if A/C could be added to a vintage VW bug. They had a lot of fun with that one.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Have you tried the e-mail address for Lee in the July TW ad?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I utilized directions from Ray Fichthorn on his Ray-Lin Restorations page, and fabricated a system for my '53.

Here's his contribution on the "Tech Tips" page of the SDC web site. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_AC.asp

and a link to his tech page on A/C. http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechIndex.htm

Last edited by rockne10; 08-03-2016, 11:04 AM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Vintage Air has everything you need. I did a little research on their site and bought it as piece parts. As far as I know they don't offer a "kit" like Bob Helms did, but it is not hard to figure out what you need. Is your car 6V or 12V? I don't remember any 6V stuff on their site.
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Anyone ever seen the [Walmart car show jokes]? where they show a house ac mounted to the passenger window and a small generator sitting on the trunk with wires running to it. Now that's about a much you may be a redneck as you will ever find.

Comment

I did what you are thinking about. I bought all the parts from Bob Helm, except the under dash unit and then installed them. Works great. Since Bob is not selling anymore I would go with the Vintage air one. Check ebay for the under dash unit they have a lot of different ones, just need to measure your under dash area. It was suggested to me to make a cardboard box for the size I wanted and then set it under the dash to check size.

It is doable and can be done!

Mark

Comment

Building a template is an excellent suggestion. The under dash unit I got just barely fit. There is a big bulge at the rear where the fans are housed. This bulge happens to be at the worst possible location for my 61 Hawk. I am not familiar with the 53 / 54 dash, maybe you have more room between the dash and the floor.
                    Wayne
                    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Have you tried the e-mail address for Lee in the July TW ad?
                      I just tried the email, thanks.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don Jeffers View Post
                        I just tried the email, thanks.

Don
                        And the answer was "Sorry, but no."

Comment

Working...
                        X