Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Studebaker building - New Studebaker National Museum building???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Studebaker building - New Studebaker National Museum building???

Food for thought...

http://tinyurl.com/jt27j34

I don't understand. Why the roll-eyes? This is good news!
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Having toured the fabulous Studebaker Museum this June, I would heartily support a larger facility if funds allow.
      Keep us posted.
      Bill

Comment

Not sure I understand - the article that comes up when you click on the link says nothing about the Studebaker National Museum.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Easy, guys: Jim's OP says "food for thought," implying simple daydreaming. Nothing wrong with that, but nobody is considering moving The Studebaker National Museum!

Let's not let our Forum Imaginations run wild and turn fiction into fact ...not that it has ever been done here previously, of course. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ah Bob, some realists are just no fun! However it would be fun to see all the museum cars bounce around whenever a freight train went by.
            Ron Smith

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
              I don't understand. Why the roll-eyes? This is good news!
              Ron, the sarcasm emoji was inserted because some people reading this post probably have no clue of what has transpired in South Bend of late. Changes that were thought to be impossible less than 10 years ago are certainly very possible now. The 3rd Generation of Movers & Shakers after Studebaker "pulled-the-plug" on South Bend now have firm control over the City, and therefore the future of the Studebaker National Museum as well. What the Mayor wants to do with the Studebaker National Museum …or where he wants to move it …WILL HAPPEN!!! FWIW; The former Studebaker 6-story Building (a.k.a. Building 84) with over a half million square feet under roof …can fit 10 of the current SNMs inside it! Moving the SNM into Building 84 can provide plenty of room for expansion. i.e.; entire display sections dedicated to Avanti …another to Studebaker Horse-drawn Wagons …another to Studebaker Military Vehicles & other Government products …another to Pre-War Studebakers …another to Post-war Studebakers …another to the history of the Studebaker Family & the Corporation …another to Vehicle Designing …another to Studebakers in Racing …another to view current restorations in-progress …a kids Lil' StudeFolks area …bigger/better restaurants …more & large meeting rooms and conference areas …a large banquet hall, etc., etc., etc.

So Ron, considering the above do you now know why this was inserted in the first post of this thread???
              Last edited by 56Golden; 08-03-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Moving the museum would take it away from the Oliver mansion a very worth while site to attend,right behind current SNM building

Comment

Went to google Maps to see what the building actually looks like currently. That is one HUGE building! I also tried to do a screen capture and am unable to do so. All the same, I can see where it would be a nice place just with new more modern windows, even without the fancy-schmancy additions the developer wants to add on.

I still don't get the roll-eyes. However maybe a bit. You see, I don't know all the back-story behind all of this. All the same, I don't see where they would give over even one full floor, let alone half the building, for the museum. It would be nice though if the museum could be located on the bottom floor of the structure. Problem is, we already have a very nice museum and I wonder if bigger is better in this case. Just the bottom floor of building 84 would be several times larger than the current museum including increased costs to run and maintain. Not to mention the cost of moving everything in the current building. Sometimes it's better to be satisfied with the bird in hand than to risk losing it for two in the bush!
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Maybe I'm being naive, but all this looks like things are moving in a very positive direction. The technical center in the old Studebaker assembly building looks like it will come to be. I'm very happy for the good folks in South Bend. Things are definately looking up.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Maybe I'm the one being naïve, but why would anyone think that after a climate-controlled building was put up expressly for the Studebaker National Museum only eleven years ago, someone would now be talking about moving it?
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob Palma already reminded us that Jim's initial post was simply "food for thought". No one here has indicated any move is being contemplated. But I can add my thoughts to the plate.
                        The renovations and upgrade to Ivy Tower are being financed with an eye to attracting business and industry. Once a building of that size is ready for occupancy I would suspect all tenants would be encouraged, and the City of South Bend might well prefer to vacate the current museum rather than have vacant space in the new. Reiterating, that is just a thought. We have an outstanding museum as it is, where it is. If the region and traffic grows, the museum should grow with it. And where better?
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                          Maybe I'm the one being naïve, but why would anyone think that after a climate-controlled building was put up expressly for the Studebaker National Museum only eleven years ago, someone would now be talking about moving it?
                          Bill, people will be living and working in "Building 84" (a.k.a. Ivy Tower in the new "Renaissance District" of South Bend) ...so why in the world would it not also be "climate controlled"??? BTW; I just ordered my 2017 SDC International Meet official T-shirt from the Studebaker National Museum. You might want to be sitting down when you see what is boldly pictured on the front of it!!! Check it out here: http://www.studebakermuseum.org/stor...rt-gray_00983/

Also take a look at this: http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...86cc3a71e.html

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
                            Bill, people will be living and working in "Building 84" (a.k.a. Ivy Tower in the new "Renaissance District" of South Bend) ...so why in the world would it not also be "climate controlled"??? BTW; I just ordered my 2017 SDC International Meet official T-shirt from the Studebaker National Museum. You might want to be sitting down when you see what is boldly pictured on the front of it!!! Check it out here: http://www.studebakermuseum.org/stor...rt-gray_00983/

Also take a look at this: http://www.southbendtribune.com/news...86cc3a71e.html
                            Sort of a very ugly looking shirt. Just my thought however.
                            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              We have an outstanding museum as it is, where it is. If the region and traffic grows, the museum should grow with it. And where better?
                              Where better? The Administration Building...........
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                              X