I got my '59 back on the road!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got my '59 back on the road!

I bought this car in 2000 with the idea of restoring it, but it was more work than I had anticipated. So I started to strip it down to make a hot rod out of it when I ran into financial issues and the car ended up in storage for the following 11 years.

This is what it looked like when I bought it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1959Hawk1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1751453Click image for larger version

Name:	1959Hawk2.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1751454Click image for larger version

Name:	1959Hawk3.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1751455

In 2010 a friend of mine picked me up in his '52 Chevy rat rod and I was instantly envious. I started thinking of the Hawk again so I started looking for a new engine as the old one had locked up from sitting and worked on getting the car titled. I found a full flow '63 289 for the car in 2013 and in 2014 I found the time to do an engine swap. My buddy and I rolled the car out of the garage for the first time in 11 years. This is what it looked like:

Name:	IMG_20130907_153648.jpg
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1751456Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130824_115324.jpg
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1751457

Now its 2016 and after replacing nearly every mechanical and electrical part you can imagine, it runs, drives and stops! Its no trailer queen, the interior is still in rough shape and the body still needs a ton or work, but I actually enjoy it like this. Its pretty much a rat.

Name:	WP_20160801_016.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1751458Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160801_019.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1751459Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160801_010.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1751460Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160801_003.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1751461Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160801_004.jpg
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1751462

Its still missing a lot of trim pieces (I have the pieces of stainless that go on the back of the tail fins, above the brake lights, but need longer screws to mount them) and needs exhaust work still, but it is good enough for the car show in a couple weeks. Next, I will work out the bugs with the charging system and adjust the valve lash.

I am very happy with how the car turned out so far and have lots of plans for it further down the road. I feel that this is one of those projects that will never end!

Also, thanks for all the help with my questions... This forum played a huge role in getting this car road worthy again!
    Last edited by evilhawk; 08-02-2016, 10:27 AM.

Looks like fun Sam! For me, the fun is driving them. Make 'em safe and drive the wheels off of 'em.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Yes driving it is my favorite part! I never had a car that gets as much attention. The closest was my Corvette Stingray.

Comment

Enjoy it and plan for the future when you have located the necessary parts to finish it off. They were meant to be driven.
        Cheers, Bill

Comment

Great job! Have fun and enjoy driving it!

Comment

Well at least the car is back on the road, runs, and stops. It even has the bonus of being a consistant colour and protected from rust. Hope to see you on the road sometime! If you see a shabby old two-tone green wagon with the driver grinning like an idiot, that'll be me!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I really like that black and white theme... Is that the first year for the one piece driveshaft? Maybe sometime you could post a couple pictures of the trans tunnel , to see how it's different from the two piece tunnel

Comment

Bring it up to Duluth, Sunday August 14th for the Northland Wheels Chapter of the Studebaker Driver's Club swap meet/car show. It is an all-makes car show, but I am expecting at least 20 Studebakers to attend. Hope to see you there!
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Studeclunker- I too look like a grinning idiot when driving my Hawk around, I should be easy to spot lol! Ill keep a look out for your wagon as well!

14x7- The car was originally white with red interior, but somewhere down the line it was painted two tone black and white. I havent seen many Hawks painted this way and have been tossing around the idea of re-two-toning it. Also, yes I believe you are right. I think '59 was the first year of the one piece driveshaft, but for some reason my car was converted (crudely) back to a two piece design.. I have no idea why. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of the tunnel for you next time I'm in town.

Milaca- I dont think Ill be able to attend the Duluth show as much as I would love to go. I work Sundays now and already took the 21st off so I can attend Pantowners in St. Cloud. Also, I dont think the car is quite ready to drive that far. Maybe next year.

Comment

Looks Great ! Enjoy

Comment

Looks like a perfect mount for your own "Two Lane Blacktop" summer. Have fun!
                      Or...slap a couple vinyl cling Batman logos on the doors and really attract attention, albeit from a much younger crowd!
                      Andy
                      62 GT

Comment

Looks like your Hawk came from the same place my Packard came from,
                        a junk yard!
                        Glad you have gotten your Hawk up and running, and stopping!
                        My Packard is close to being the same way, soon perhaps this fall.
                        Loads of fun aren't they?
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                          Looks like your Hawk came from the same place my Packard came from,
                          a junk yard!
                          Glad you have gotten your Hawk up and running, and stopping!
                          My Packard is close to being the same way, soon perhaps this fall.
                          Loads of fun aren't they?
                          Pretty much, I bought the car from a scraper who had a field full of junk cars for scrap and parts. He told me he found the car on a reservation is South Dakota and was about to scrap it out. Its been a ton of fun working on it and driving it! I just drove it to a alternator repair shop yesterday and the look on the mechanics face was priceless

Comment

You fixing up such a rough Hawk and Treblig's big project are a couple of good influences on me to find a way to recover on the Hawk that I go screwed on.
                            1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                            1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                            1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                            1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                            1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

MIGHTY COOL ! ! ! After all: Studebakers should be DRIVEN!
                              I'm busy helping a friend with his -53 Starlight that he bought 20 years ago & the only thing he did to it was getting an engine for it & moving it from garage to garage.
                              & just like yours & my own it's gonna be a non-trailer queen.
                              Let's see if I can attach a photo now then...Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1738.jpg
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1708250

Comment

Working...
                              X