Dusty 52 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty 52 Land Cruiser

There is a dusty, but solid appearing, 52 Land Cruiser on ebay right now that has some interesting features. The one that caught my eye was how bare the dash looks. The only stock switch is the headlight switch right of the steering. I don't remember ever seeing a 52 without a heater/defroster switch on the left side of the dash. There does appear to be an aftermarket heater switch under the dash.
    If I was in the market, I would want a closer look at this car. A 52 Land Cruiser with overdrive would make a nice tour car.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Not at all unusual for a car destined for the Southwest states to be sold without the optional​ Climatizer. I had one myself. Bought it in Long Beach, then got transferred to the Northwest.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

That is actually quite unusual in a Top of the line Land Cruiser, however.
      In addition to the Climitizer, they usually also have either Standard or Optionally ordered, a Clock and Cigar Lighter, at least it has A Radio maybe the Optional 8 Tube Push Button Model.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If I was gonna buy another Stude., and it was gonna be a 4 door, I would look close and hard at this one. But, I ain't, and it ain't , so I won't.
        This car really appeals to me.

Comment

I stock heater kits for many years Studebaker for cars not factory heater equiped.
          Most dealers I bought out has at least one complete kit with all parts to install the heater/defroster.
          Have patience because I am slowing way down because of eye surgery starting Tuesday.
          Robert Kapteyn
          studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Here's the link.

As I own a 1951 Land Cruiser, for elegance, comfort, good ride, dependability, just about any year Land Cruiser,("President") is one of the best kept secrets, or overlooked, cars of their era. If you want an enjoyable driver to ride to cruise-ins, or attend meets...hardly anything better. While they might not be flashy, or sporty, they get you there and back in style.

They may never be a great "Investment collector" vehicle, they can make up for it in comfortable pleasure. Bought right, this one could make a great "family" cruiser.
            Last edited by jclary; 08-01-2016, 05:56 PM.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for attaching the link John. I copied it for the original post and then forgot to paste it.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Has anyone personally inspected this car? I might be interested in bidding, but I live in So Cal, long drive. The pics look good, but pics can hide a lot. New to the Stude group. Does anyone know the true value of this car? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Luthierbill View Post
                  Has anyone personally inspected this car? I might be interested in bidding, but I live in So Cal, long drive. The pics look good, but pics can hide a lot. New to the Stude group. Does anyone know the true value of this car? Thanks!
                  Aw shucks...where's your sense of adventure? You are closer than two thirds of the country! On the ensuing "road-trip," you might find a whole flock to follow you back home.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Luthierbill View Post
                    The pics look good, but pics can hide a lot.
                    Pics can hide a lot, especially when the car is so filthy. I've said it before, but this car is a good example - why someone can't spend an hour washing the car, getting the 'stuff' off the seats, and removing the Mexican blankets so the upholstery can be seen? (It's not like it's a 'barn find' that has been sitting since 1958 and the dirt makes it more valuable .)

Says the "paint looks pretty decent" but sure can't tell with all the dirt. Besides the dent on the rear quarter, looks like there is a pretty decent dent on the drivers side front fender top.

But.......this sure might be a diamond in the dust. Bet it would clean up pretty decent, and that's a nice paint color. Not knocking the car, just the presentation.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Love these and would be tempted if I hadn't just found a '59 Lark, V8 HT Auto. This is Stude number 7 so I'm buried.
                      Good luck to whoever is the new owner as I think it's a neat car and agree with John Clary's comments entirely. As for the distance, hell I just bought a new unit in Montreal and drove 5000 miles to get it home(3 provinces and 11 states in two weeks).
                      Bill

Comment

Love 52's. Have had a few a Commander regal 4 door Tahoe Green, 52 Commander Convertible Maui Blue with red leather. The one thing I can't see clearly in the photos is the condition of the chrome. If there is any weak spot on a 52 is the condition of the grille, headlight rims, bumpers, and every other chrome piece on any car.

Does anyone know if a forum member or a club member owns the car? The California plate is a relatively newer style plate and the car is in Salt Lake City. Living in Sandy for a year, I know that rust can work over a car in a couple of years.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                          Love 52's. Have had a few a Commander regal 4 door Tahoe Green, 52 Commander Convertible Maui Blue with red leather. The one thing I can't see clearly in the photos is the condition of the chrome. If there is any weak spot on a 52 is the condition of the grille, headlight rims, bumpers, and every other chrome piece on any car.

Does anyone know if a forum member or a club member owns the car? The California plate is a relatively newer style plate and the car is in Salt Lake City. Living in Sandy for a year, I know that rust can work over a car in a couple of years.

Bob Miles
                          With the car being in Salt Lake there are a lot of members there and I know of a couple that would take the time and go check it out if someone was really interested. got love the 52's I sure do, but not in the market for anymore right now.
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Looking over the photos carefully in the last photo it does show a SDC sticker in the lower right corner of the windshield. So at one time the car belonged to a member. Most of the grille looks intact but will need to be re-chromed but for a knock around driver that would not be of immediate priority. Tires look nice but I don't know if I would trust them on a long trip.

The chrome work on a 1952 probably would be in the neighborhood of $5,000 to have it redone. The 52 Hardtop would be more just because of all the pot metal pieces on the trim around the top, etc.

From what I see, the interior is mostly intact except for rugs/mats. Brakes are up and clutch pedal in up too. It does have the fuel pump in the original position but before it is taken on a drive, all the rubber hoses on the fuel line would probably need to be replaced. It also would not hurt to have an electric pump in line to be a good back up.

This will be a great car for someone that has a connection to 52's that is not concerned with ever getting there money back but just wants to have a 52. Adding what the price of the car may be plus all that needs to be done would put it in the 15K range. Then again, someone could just buy it enjoy it as it is and try to preserve it. My connection is that we had a 52 model as a kid, and also I am a 52 model. I am trying to preserve myself as it is right now

Bob Miles

Comment

When I bought my 51 Land Cruiser, it was from Santa Ana, CA. Mine also did not come equipped with the climatizer, in addition to the cigar lighter, trunk light, radio. I thought that was rather odd.
                              1947 Studebaker M-5
                              1946 Studebaker M-5
                              1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                              1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                              1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X