Desperate need for Parts for Avanti 1001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate need for Parts for Avanti 1001

Apparently this Avanti had Power Steering originally, but today while I was checking out the good work that my Son Mike, local Whatcom County Chapter Member Jim Huxhold and James Bell were doing on the rear of the Avanti, I discovered something we had not really noticed.

It now has the Manual Steering Bellcrank, Reach Rod and Pitman Arm even though we believe it was originally built as a P/S Car.

The P/S Ram brackets are still hanging from the frame, we have the P/S Pump mounted on the Engine and I think it has the quicker P/S Steering Gear.

That being the case, it makes sense to put it back like it originally was, not the way we found it.

This is where our big problem comes in, I checked the Parts Catalog to find out the P/S Pitman Arms for Avantis are Avanti peculiar.

We have the rest of the P/S Setup from a '64 V8 Wagonaire.

This is where YOU all come in, we REALLY NEED a Avanti P/S Pitman Arm 1557147, in good usable condition. Unless you would like to do a Donation to the Americas Car Museum Foundation, (LeMay) they will pay the fair market value of this Part.

The Annual Can-Am Zone meet is very soon: Fri.- Sun. Aug. 5, to 7, hence the importance of this.

James Bell our Zone Director will be at the Zone Meet in Kamloops, B.C. Canada and could pick up a Pitman Arm if any of you know who has one and also if you will be there.

Also keep your eyes out for a nice STRAIGHT '59-'64 Lark 8 #2 Crossmember (the Engine Support/Door Post Crossmember) on all body types of Larks and Lark Types, a 1547767 or 1550389 should work (or ALL Avantis #1555889) we have a badly damaged one and can cut the outboard ends of a Lark X-Member off to make an Avanti one, and use it on this very special Car.

Thanks very much for any leads or help; The Whatcom County Chapter of SDC, Bellingham, WA.

Good progress is being made on the re-assembly of the First production Avanti #1001:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1751429 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5128.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1751430 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5132.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1751431 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5134.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1751432 <Mike routing the "E" Brake Cable.
    The Radius Rods (Traction Bars) & Stabilizer Bar were installed with all New Bushings.

Name:	1557147 Pitman Arm.jpg
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1751433
    Pitman Arm for Power Steering is the Picture Number 1308-99.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-01-2016, 01:40 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

SI has both of those cross members listed in the current catalog.

Comment

Rich
      I have a complete control valve rebuilt with the pitman arm as an assembly, but I hope they know the reach rod is also different, as is the bell crank arm casting. PM me, I would be willing to do some trade for the manual parts they won't be using for one of my pet "future projects" .

Comment

Rich. I have to go look. If I have the Pitman arm, it is part of complete car.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Is this the car that was painted psychedelic green when you found it? What a difference!
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

One and the SAME! I think we are still finding psychedelic Green Metal Flakes from under that car on the floor of James' Shop!

Name:	IMG_3925.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1708099 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1708102
            Picking it up from the Upholstery Shop

Name:	IMG_3920.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1708100
            That's StudeDave57, (in Hoodie) my Son Dave in the process of loading the seats in our family E-350.

Name:	IMG_3929.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1708101 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4918.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1708103
            The LeMay (ACM) Group, Avanti 1001 work party headed back to Tacoma.
            Last edited by hausdok; 08-06-2016, 02:36 PM.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Quite a shine on this Avanti....that's probably a basecoat/clearcoat paint job?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Quite a shine on this Avanti....that's probably a basecoat/clearcoat paint job?
                Yep, not my choice, but what the Body Shop graciously donated.

One or two off-topic posts are OK, but lets please not lose the Focus of the issue... The Special Avanti P/S Pitman Arm.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Yep, not my choice, but what the Body Shop graciously donated.

One or two off-topic posts are OK, but lets please not lose the Focus of the issue... The Special Avanti P/S Pitman Arm.
                  OK Rich, I don't have that part, but I hope you find it.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                    Rich
                    I have a complete control valve rebuilt with the pitman arm as an assembly, but I hope they know the reach rod is also different, as is the bell crank arm casting. PM me, I would be willing to do some trade for the manual parts they won't be using for one of my pet "future projects" .
                    Thanks very much PM sent, that MAY work out.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-01-2016, 01:49 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studerich.
                      Nostalgic stocks these new and I think they may be made in Solid gold

Last edited by hausdok; 08-06-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I checked. My Avanti is manual steering, so no joy there. Have some inquiries out. I have a '61 Lark VIII rolling chassis here, no motor in it, but I have welded stuff to the ends of the batwing crossmember. Don't know how straight it is; it's hiding in tall grass.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                          I checked. My Avanti is manual steering, so no joy there. Have some inquiries out. I have a '61 Lark VIII rolling chassis here, no motor in it, but I have welded stuff to the ends of the batwing crossmember. Don't know how straight it is; it's hiding in tall grass.
                          The portion of the Engine rear Support #2 Crossmember that extends beyond the frame Rails and bolts to the Floor Perches gets CUT Off on Avantis as there is no support in that location so it does not matter.

I only call the C & K Crossmembers "Batwings", but I am sure you know which one we need as long as it is from a Lark or Lark Type.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            Thanks very much PM sent, that MAY work out.
                            PM sent back-just need sending info!

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                              Studerich.
                              Nostalgic stocks these new and I think they maybe made in Solid gold

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56908[/ATTACH]
                              SI used to have them-but mine's free, I forgot to gold plate it though.

Comment

Working...
                              X