50 Champion dash paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Champion dash paint

Anyone find a rattle can color to match dash and seat frame on 50 Champion?

At a Zone Meet a few years ago, a young fellow had a green '51. He had used Dupli-Color 'Van & Truck' paint. It was available in about three shades of a metallic grey at that time. The job this guy did on his dash was fantastic! I think he told me he wet sanded between coats. Or maybe just compounded. Lot of hand work either way.
    Might be best to take an un-faded sample (glove box door interior?) to the paint store, let them scope it and mix some paint and put it in a spray can for you.
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

On a 1950 Champion Convertible that I helped a friend at his Studebaker Repair and restoration Shop in Calif. restore, I bought some Hardware Store spray Cans of "Dove Grey" Enamel and the Grayish Tan came out looking like Factory for the Dash and Column.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Remember that interior trim paint was not high gloss like the exterior. Most often what would be called "matte", rather than flat.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Remember that interior trim paint was not high gloss like the exterior. Most often what would be called "matte", rather than flat.
          Not so sure about '47 to '52 Dash Tops, but I know '53 & '54's were High Gloss, don't know why they would be any different, same Tan or Gray Colors.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            ... I know '53 & '54's were High Gloss, ...
            Perhaps from LA production. My '53 from South Bend was definitely NOT high gloss; I believe the thought being the reflection of the Sun in the driver's eyes. I would be interested in others experience but, rather than steal or lead the OP's thread on a tangent, will start a new thread in the Tech Forum.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Found today at The Home Depot, PERFECT match. Rustoleum Bright Coat, Mettalic Finish, Dark Bronze.Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_184515.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1708088Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_184531.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1708089

Comment

Working...
              X