'49 LC front bumper - 500 lbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '49 LC front bumper - 500 lbs?

I know that bumper and guards do not weigh that much, but it sure looks like it!! http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5674916899.html

Looks like a nice vehicle, but museum life is not going to be too easy on the moving parts, unless it was driven regularly...

For true! And then, there are the bridge-girder brackets behind them. When I removed the bumpers and brackets from my Avanti, I could definitely feel the reduction in weight at the outer ends.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I have never cared for the wrap around bumpers on the 49s, even without those huge uprights. The bumper cross section is much more massive than the 47-48. If I had that car, I would fit some 47-48 bumpers, reshaped to fit the car as I did with my 48. There certainly is enough brightwork on that front end without that huge bumper. Otherwise, I think it is a very nice looking car, and the price does not seem out of line.
      Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
      See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Looks like they used a tow truck bumper on it!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Those are for pushing all those big 3 cars.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
            Those are for pushing all those big 3 cars.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              Looks like they used a tow truck bumper on it!
              Tom, do you remember your father, mine and other neighbors along Mayflower Road "push-starting" Studes in the winter??? Had to park their Studes overnight near the road in a way so another neighbor could get behind and push with theirs ...aah those good old days!!!
              Last edited by 56Golden; 07-30-2016, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I remember we push started all the fords and chevys.

Comment

Beautiful car for sure

Comment

Working...
                  X