PDA

View Full Version : Forum Participation

Lou Van Anne
07-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Is it my imagination or is the number of participants on forum declining?

ddub
07-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Sure seems like it to me. When I check in I click on "New Posts". It is now unusual to get a page full (25) and was quite common. My frequency of visiting has not changed. I wonder if those behind the scenes can shed statistical light?

Chris Pile
07-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Well, I'm visiting more times per day - so it might seem like it, but we are getting new folks all the time.

studegary
07-28-2016, 02:40 PM
I think that we would need real statistics on this.

Every week, we get many new participants.
With so many topics previously dealt with, many answers are already here for those that search for them.

Number of participants (Lou's question) and number of posts (Don's response) are two different things.

2R5
07-28-2016, 02:43 PM
I find face book is the new norm

1954khardtop
07-28-2016, 02:46 PM
I can't speak for others, but I tend to be on less in the summer. I still check in briefly each day, but am outside more and at the computer less this time of year.

Sdude
07-28-2016, 02:48 PM
you sure you didn't mean "are a number of participant on forum declining"? I can relate to that.....

Lou Van Anne
07-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Well, I can relate to that also.
you sure you didn't mean "are a number of participant on forum declining"? I can relate to that.....

Commander Eddie
07-28-2016, 03:03 PM
I'm still here most every day, but I seem to have less to say over time. I spend more time just reading other posts.

studegary
07-28-2016, 03:09 PM
Posts 3, 4 & 5 were all by people that joined this Forum Oct. 2004 (strange coincidence).

62champ
07-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Would be interesting to see a chart that shows usage - both forum participants and lurkers.

rockne10
07-28-2016, 04:26 PM
I stop in every day; sometimes twice a day. But I joined eleven years ago when there were only a couple hundred of us and it was not unusual to have half a dozen give and takes per day. Everybody always had something to add. There have been so many people join since then, who know so much more than I, that many topics that I would have previously responded to are now opportunities for me to learn from, not contribute to.

Dwain G.
07-28-2016, 04:46 PM
True, the 'Studebaker Addicts' group on Facebook is very busy, but you also see a big drop in this forums posts during the International Meets and for about a week before and after. Zone Meets probably have an effect also. Surprises me more people don't seem to have their electronics with them to check forums, emails, etc.

41 Frank
07-28-2016, 04:51 PM
I am here lurking and learning several times a day, but like Brad, do not have as much to contribute as I did 10 years ago as today more people are here with more knowledge than myself.

wittsend
07-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Over at the PCCA (Ford Pinto) site I frequent the forum use has dropped - significantly. Most loss is attributed to Facebook. The same for the email based Sunbeam Tiger forum I'm on.

Regarding questions being asked numerous times, I would not discourage it. When people are new they have no idea what has, or hasn't been discussed many times. Frankly I find doing a "search" overwhelmingly does NOT provide me with the answer(s) I seek. I've then spent hours getting nowhere. And, there are some on the site who have no problem giving the same answer(s) over again. They just want to be helpful. Lastly there can be new developments, new part numbers, product discontinuation, change of methods etc. That would not be know if all people did was search and base their decisions on posts that were years old. Asking the question - again - often brings out this new information.

I hear of concern that the Studebaker interest seems to be waning. And to an extent I can understand the concern. It is sad to hear that someone who stockpiled parts is now too old to deal with them and they often are sent to scrap. But the reality is Studebaker is an out of business auto manufacturer where the youngest person having any recollection of a "new" one is at least 53 years old, and likely older than that. Nothing goes on forever.

For what it is worth I was very impressed by the volume of cars, parts and participation when I first logged on six years ago. Don't anguish too much over what the Studebaker community should in fact be proud of.

wdills
07-28-2016, 05:51 PM
I must say that most of my questions have been answered through a search. Most of the time someone has already discussed the topic I have a question about. Because of this, I check the forum a lot but seldom post anything. Occasionally a topic comes up that I feel I can contribute something meaningful to, but most of the time I am just lurking and learning what I can.

Pat Dilling
07-28-2016, 06:11 PM
I can't speak for others, but I tend to be on less in the summer. I still check in briefly each day, but am outside more and at the computer less this time of year.

Yup, what he said :!!: I think in the summer time people are just in front of the computer less.

Mike Sal
07-28-2016, 06:45 PM
All club websites are in decline. I belong to several (old car, military, motor bike, blacksmithing, etc) & they all have a fraction of the traffic they used to have. Trouble is, I don't see an equal amount of traffic on the FB....although I don't visit many sites on FB & don't really care for it.
Mike Sal

greyben
07-28-2016, 06:49 PM
How about a sales pitch in TW explaining the Forum and why it can be useful and interesting repeating occasionally? I don't know how many SDC members actually use the Forum, but it must be less than 10% of membership. As far as actually using the site it seem that fewer than a 100 people account for more than 90% of the posts.

I've been on here less than five years and have seen the more common issues common to Studebaker such as electrical, timing, brakes, oil leaks, etc come up frequently. By now, if I had a better memory, I could probably recite by rote the individual answers and who made them. These are of course interesting to the requester, but not so much to those just reading responses.

Threads with more than 10 posts have probably been hijacked at least once. Lack of user courtesy can be a turnoff to some.

57pack
07-28-2016, 07:05 PM
Hi Lou, I am also away from the computer more during summer. Yard work and more hands on Studebaker time.
Try to log on at least once a day, I'm still here.

Flashback
07-28-2016, 08:26 PM
I been out a lot in the last year with health issues. Back now, but slower this time of year.

raprice
07-28-2016, 08:48 PM
I check in at least once a day. Not the last week, my wife and I were in Seattle for our son's wedding. So, I was away from Studebakers for a brief time. Good to be back. I really can't know if our number is dwindling, but I really like this forum. I don't use or are planning to use Facebook. It's worthless to me. That's just me.
Rog

alaipairod
07-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Summertime and car shows wean me away from the computer.....But I still find time to read your posts, and reply...........:!!:
.........Facebook can't touch what this forum presents...........

JoeHall
07-28-2016, 09:58 PM
I agree, FaceBook groups like, "Studebaker Addicts" have siphoned many members away from here, and they have many members that have never been here. Some are former members here, who became disenchanted, and found a new home there.

FB has some advantages: picture friendly and, "like" and, "share" features promote socialization, and can say much, with a click of a mouse. But FB does not have archives, at least not easily searchable. Also, FB has very few, "experts". Here, we have developed sort of a pecking order among the many experts. But FBers often refer here for expert advice.

Here, anyone who cannot find info in archives, should learn how to use the feature. Sometimes, research has been involved, and a poster just does not wish to expend the time and energy to post the same info repeatedly. However, rehashing, instead of using the archives, propagates socialization.
Similarly, healthcare professionals who work with geriatrics, are the creme de la creme, if they have the ability to listen to the same story repeatedly, and each time act as if it were the first time. So maybe we are good for each other, in rehashing stuff.

Yes, some responses are predictable here, i.e. just post a thread asking for help with a, "freeze plug" ;)

52hawk
07-28-2016, 10:07 PM
I check in daily,but don't post often. I did get tired of the bickering between some of the members,and I know a few people have left because of it.

Jett289
07-28-2016, 10:21 PM
I visit almost daily and sometimes more .. I like to read most everything but I don't post very often as I fear of getting berated for rehashing something that has been said in the past . I also have found the search not the easiest thing to use . I'm also on Facebook and follow a couple Studebaker related pages but I do prefer this forum. If I have problems with my Studebakers this is the FIRST place I come to .

Dads Baby
07-28-2016, 11:39 PM
I check in daily,but don't post often. I did get tired of the bickering between some of the members,and I know a few people have left because of it.

I did take a break for well over a year. It's a shame that people do leave or take a break because we are missing their knowledge.

lschuc
07-28-2016, 11:54 PM
It's summertime... and everyone is out playing Pokemon GO !! :)

Or driving their Studes to shows and cars & coffee!

Warren Webb
07-29-2016, 12:15 AM
I check in toward the end of the day when things quiet down around here. When there are the times I need to search for something I find the search feature here is almost useless. That's when I google what I'm looking for & 95 times out of 100 find it then. Sometimes days will pass before I respond to something here & yet other times it seems you cant shut me up!

Kurt
07-29-2016, 06:57 AM
I check in early in the morning and late in the evening. I don't post very often, but I Do truly enjoy this site. It has definitely evolved. Their are people who used to be here all the time that have not posted in ages. Their are also others who have taken their place. It doesn't feel like their are as many posts as the past, but in general their seems to be way less bickering. Still some, but nothing like it was before.

Every club or social media site continues to evolve. This one is no different.

8E45E
07-29-2016, 07:05 AM
I can think of at least five regular posters who have since passed away while they were active participants here on the Forum, and are truly missed!

At best, we can definitely remember them from their contributions on this Forum, and others may wish to add more to my list.

Leonard Shepard
Bill Glasscock
Bill Glass (Bondo Billy)
Johnny Wipff (Johnny Wiffer)
Art Unger (monomaniac)

Craig

52-fan
07-29-2016, 08:27 AM
The thing I notice most is the lack of a project lots of people are following. When someone has a popular project there is a lot of related posting.
Also, we post more when we are actively working on a project. There is not so much to discuss when you are just driving your car.

jclary
07-29-2016, 08:31 AM
I can think of at least five regular posters who have since passed away while they were active participants here on the Forum, and are truly missed!

At best, we can definitely remember them from their contributions on this Forum, and others may wish to add more to my list.

Leonard Shepard
Bill Glasscock
Bill Glass (Bondo Billy)
Johnny Wipff (Johnny Wiffer)
Art Unger (monomaniac)

Craig

Craig, not only those, you have listed, but I can think of many more cherished SDC brothers and sisters I was blessed to know along the way. I would contribute to the list, but already beginning to get emotional with your post.

Fortunately, for me, I am pretty comfortable with a keyboard, so posting comes easy for me. (Perhaps unfortunately for many of you.):p

Just as life itself, this forum is a reflection of our collective "dynamic" existence. As surely as your chest rises and falls with rhythmic breathing...participation on the forum rises and falls. I recall when our main, and most valuable, communication was limited to Turning Wheels, and very localized chapter meetings. If you were fortunate, your local (state) chapter had a newsletter. I once took on the job as newsletter editor. Back then, most newsletters were hand written. There were no spell checker programs. If you were "spell" challenged, you had to depend on the kindness of someone to proof read for you. Then, chase down an available copy machine, manually staple, address, etc., and mail them.:(

Again, like life, some of you were around at the "birth" of technology giving us this forum.:) I first became aware of the SDC in 1974, bought my first computer nearly a decade later, and accidentally discovered the Forum in 2008. Up until then, I had never really participated in a "Forum." I had participated in "chat rooms," but realized how much of a "time waster" these circular discussions were, and tired of that. Finding the SDC Forum, opened a whole new world of Studebaker enjoyment for me.:!: Unfortunately, I, like others, came here with misconceptions of what this was all about.:confused: I also, due to past experience with chat sites, had to adjust my behavior in how I participated.:o Keeping our discourse within the guidelines of this site's "Terms Of Service," is a constant challenge for those of us with strong passions. I still find myself testing the limits, but not nearly as bad, or often, as when I first arrived here.;)

As a group, we are relatively old, and many are "keyboard" challenged. Therefore, those who have to hunt & peck, with painful arthritic fingers, to post on the forum, make a great effort, and should be appreciated. Then, there are the self-appointed Grammar & Spell Police...who have chased away potential participants. Some of you, have corrected some of my habitual errors, and I actually appreciate it. However, I have had some folks tell me that it is why they no longer participate. If it were not for my "Spell Checker" software, I probably would irritate some of you into leaving the forum.

Anyway, this forum is a "TOOL"...and as any useful device, will remain as long as it provides a useful service. I have avoided "Facebook," because I have too many relatives using it.:confused: Not signing up, keeps me from having to "unfriend" them, along with all the additional complications, gossip, and bickering that would cause.:QQ: If I could figure out how to join without them knowing, I might add it to my "communication tool box" along with this forum.;)

Sdude
07-29-2016, 10:17 AM
I am here lurking and learning several times a day, but like Brad, do not have as much to contribute as I did 10 years ago as today more people are here with more knowledge than myself.

I don't let my lack of knowledge stop me from contributing.Maybe that's not a good thing.

Lou Van Anne
07-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Don't worry, we still love you.
I don't let my lack of knowledge stop me from contributing.Maybe that's not a good thing.

studeclunker
07-29-2016, 12:27 PM
​I found this forum when desperate for help. I had several larks that I was trying to get reliably running and the members of this forum saved me! Especially Jeff who explained the workings of a carb (which I still don't entirely understand) and that a motor only needs three things to run. He was patient with an all-thumbs kinda fellow and walked me through the necessary steps to keep several of my cars running. There have been a host of people here that have been extremely helpful and more importantly patient with me. My previous knowledge of Studebakers was limited to one '62 wagon and the horse-drawn vehicles made by the company. Well, dear old Dad always wanted a Champ (Mum said, "NO, absolutely NOT! No STUDECLUNKERS in my driveway!"). I had no idea what he was talking about, but he thought the 245-six was the cat's whiskers! Dad said it was superior to any V8 on the market!

I don't like Facebook as it's the great black-hole of time. Talk about a nightmare to search! However, I too have trouble searching this forum. There are locations who have worse search-engines than ours though.

Lately, I have been involved with the horses and would rather be out with them instead of pounding this keyboard. This year my health has been crappy and I've been back on here quite a lot. I need to do something about that as horses suffer when not paid attention to, unlike neat old cars. My hope is to finally get Bess and at least one of my Champs back on the road this year. The '60 only needs tires (Ha! no y) to drive. However the old fellow could use at least the transmission re-done. I'm considering that. However, that's yet another thing that will keep me away from here as the internet has progressed so far away from dial-up (only connection available in Fawn Lodge) that there's effectively no internet up at the shop. I suppose that isn't so bad as when I'm there, it's for work, not chatting with my chums.:o

T.J. lavallee
07-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Interesting comment on "Studebaker Fanatics" on Facebook. (Post #24) I personally don't use Facebook much but most younger than me seem to use it a lot. Perhaps this would help to explain some of the drop in forum use. As for me, I really like this forum. The amount of technical as well as historic knowledge offered by participants is both helpful and entertaining.

JoeHall
07-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Since many posters above said our archives do not work well for them, here's a quick tutorial on how to use them:

Go to the block by the magnifying glass symbol, at top right of this page. Type in, vapor lock; it pulls up five pages, with 107 posts on the subject. Type in, aluminum radiator; it pulls up three pages, with 67 posts on the subject. Simple as that. If still not satisfied, try rewording, i.e. vaporlock instead of vapor lock; radiator interchange instead of aluminum radiator, etc..

In the world of Studebakers, there is not much new under the sun. If its ever been posted here, with a little patience, you can find it in the archives.

sweetolbob
07-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Since many posters above said our archives do not work well for them, here's a quick tutorial on how to use them:

Go to the block by the magnifying glass symbol, at top right of this page. Type in, vapor lock; it pulls up five pages, with 107 posts on the subject. Type in, aluminum radiator; it pulls up three pages, with 67 posts on the subject. Simple as that. If still not satisfied, try rewording, i.e. vaporlock instead of vapor lock; radiator interchange instead of aluminum radiator, etc..

In the world of Studebakers, there is not much new under the sun. If its ever been posted here, with a little patience, you can find it in the archives.

I still find that Google does a much better job of searching the forum. Enter (studebaker vapor lock) without the parentheses on Google then click on SDC forum results (698 results).From there you can narrow the search down by even more words.

Tried to copy the search results but no go for some reason, you're on your own.

Bob

DEEPNHOCK
07-29-2016, 05:57 PM
(Opinion)......

Things are just fine.
Things change.

Facebook is an interesting place. But I predict it will eat itself alive.
I use it a lot, but only use a half dozen locations, all for different purposes.
But Facebook is without any constraints. That can be good, or bad.
It is so easy to start a new group, and that means there are way too many groups.
After all, how many people are going to spend a lot of time at the "Blue Studebaker Lark With White Interiors" page?
It will run it's course....
This site will survive.
Craig's point about mortality is apropos.
Rancor is the biggest pox here, and even that is pretty minor, and limited to a recurrent few.

I wouldn't sweat it... After all it is summer....It is hot out... There are Stude shows to go to...

wittsend
07-29-2016, 06:51 PM
Well, I'm one of those who commented about the search function. But, please don't misunderstand, it is like that with almost everything I search for. I know the general aspects of mechanics and cars in particular. One can easily find spark plug gaps, tire pressures etc. I am far more often than not doing something relatively unique.

As an example my '64 Daytona (113" wb) came with a 65-66 McKinnon engine and associated trans (flanged axles too). Having the Chevy motor mounts, exhaust manifolds etc. I easily swapped in a 350 for the 283. Wanting a transmission with overdrive and a first gear start the next change was to a 700R4. Knowing that this is a popular swap regardless of Chevy or Studebaker engine I checked to see what people used for a driveshaft. My hope was to find a shaft from another car that did not need alteration. Yet every search I did came back with comments regarding going to a shop and having the existing shaft modified in the $150-$200 cost range. This somewhat surprised me given that many here are "old school" (and I mean that in a complimentary way) and some CASO (a banner I fly under as well). So, that is the type of things I search for and typically find I don't get the answers I need. BTW a '78 Buick Skylark V-6, 4 dr driveshaft worked just fine as/is (under $20 out the door).

Regarding the large numbers listed for a search..., it seems a double edged sword. The more frequently the questions get asked/answered the more searches there are. But, is that really a good thing? In the example sited above there were 107 returns for "vapor lock." OK, which one's are the really valuable ones??? That is why it seems prudent to ask - again (assuming one will shortly get the right answer). I'd hate to read to 106 posts only to - then - find my answer. Has one really benefited reading 105 potential posts that profit them nothing? The search function has its place. But, to be effective there would have to be culling of all the posts and with thousands upon thousands who would do that? So, if you had a vapor lock problem (on a long journey) and needed a quick answer, what would you want to do? Ask again..., or spend potentially hours looking through 107 old posts? And, yes I realize this is talking in the extreme. But in this case I wouldn't doubt the discussion could meander to Vick's Vapor Rub and the deadbolt lock on the front door.

51champ
07-29-2016, 07:05 PM
I for one would be lost without this forum although i do not post here that often i am on here daily trying to learn. Half the time i do not sign in because i am at work lol but again for my sake i hope it keeps going so i can continue to learn from the good people here on this forum

Aussie Hawk
07-29-2016, 07:10 PM
I visit the Forum at least once a day, but don’t usually log in, so I gather my visit is unrecorded. I only log in to add my 2 cents worth to a post. I do find the rigmarole of posting photos on the Forum limits my participation, but I also understand why it’s set up that way. I set up a Face Book page for ‘Studebaker of Australia’ when we first opened about three years ago. It has a lot of traffic and some photos and stories have had as many as 3,500 views. Some Forum members even pay us a visit from time to time. We post photos of Studes, technical information and obviously parts specials from SoA. We get a lot of comments about these various items but not usually in depth discussion like on the Forum. By the same token we don’t get some of the nonsense that goes on in it either. ;-)

Lou Van Anne
07-29-2016, 08:10 PM
I must admit: I'm addicted!

48skyliner
07-29-2016, 08:53 PM
I have been here for three years since I started my Studebaker project, and I am checking my email several times a day, so I probably look at the forum once or more most days. I think this forum gets more participation than most forums I have used, except for the Prostreet forum. My opinion, which I have stated here before, is that there would be more forum participation if it were more like other forums devoted to cars, motorcycles, or whatever, with a for sale/wanted to buy section and a section devoted to major projects. There is nothing wrong with charging a fee for ads, either per ad or an annual fee.

I am reminded of the elderly gentleman who was being hustled by a stock broker about some investment and famously replied "At my age I don't even buy green bananas". I would be concerned that if I submit an ad to Turning Wheels, I might be listed in the obituary section of the forum before the ad is published.

edpjr
07-29-2016, 09:14 PM
First of all, the nation's economy still sucks. Most people do not have discretionary money to buy or restore any type classic cars.

Next, this forum has been great for me. When I was working to restore my Avanti between 2009-2012 I was on here ALL the time seeking help, asking questions, buying stuff from people, etc. But that car has pretty much been finished for years now and sits safely in the garage except for the occasional Sunday drive or cruise-in attendance. I offer my sincere thanks to the many, many people on this site that have helped me out a dozen times over.

Even though my Studebaker vehicle work is pretty much in stasis for now, I still check this website at least a couple times per week.

JoeHall
07-29-2016, 09:18 PM
I visit the Forum at least once a day, but don’t usually log in, so I gather my visit is unrecorded. I only log in to add my 2 cents worth to a post. I do find the rigmarole of posting photos on the Forum limits my participation, but I also understand why it’s set up that way. I set up a Face Book page for ‘Studebaker of Australia’ when we first opened about three years ago. It has a lot of traffic and some photos and stories have had as many as 3,500 views. Some Forum members even pay us a visit from time to time. We post photos of Studes, technical information and obviously parts specials from SoA. We get a lot of comments about these various items but not usually in depth discussion like on the Forum. By the same token we don’t get some of the nonsense that goes on in it either. ;-)

I just went there and checked it out. Very impressive site! I also liked the pic of the flat six, with cutaway of the water jacket. That will make a believer out of anyone, as to the importance of cleaning the crud out of there ;)

Aussie Hawk
07-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Hey Joe,

Both Chris and I like to keep it well stocked with photos, memorabilia, tech info etc. Also anyone can advertise cars for sale - Obviously advertising cars in the USA has a bit of a drawback with the distance, but we still do post ads for our US fellow Stude brethren ;-) I regularly copy photos and articles from the Forum as a lot of our followers aren't on it, and there is some great stuff on here. The 6 cylinder with the cut away is going to be mounted in a frame and taken to car shows to fly the Studebaker flag. We intended to set it up to run on 3 cylinders with a shortened head, no oil pan, and block sections removed so the crowd can see everything in motion while it runs for short periods. I'm going to post photos of the build, (or would that be un-build), on here after it's finished. Keep and eye on our FB page as I'll be putting them up there as we go.

teejay
07-29-2016, 10:14 PM
Consider myself a lurker/voyeur. View daily 2x. Keep up w/ general- tech- happenings- also truck farmers. Wife asks me often 'What will I do with all those cars if you croak?' I'm 73, didn't someone calculate sdc average age at late 60s? Should we establish an inventory executor concept to keep our beloved studes "in the fold"
if we depart. Excuse morbidity.
Terry 61 Champ 6e5P2 49 2R16 flatbed 455 Olds Hydra/Brownie 46 M16 8'Dodge bed 64 Daytona4D259FL

56Golden
07-29-2016, 10:42 PM
I must admit: I'm addicted!

Lou …Yes, you must & Yes, you are! In this case both are "Good Things!":!:

In the first 19 hours after YOU started this thread it has attracted nearly one thousand "participants" (posters + viewers). Of course most know your "FORUM PARTICIPATION" thread should NOT have been posted to this General Studebaker – Specific Discussion forum according to existing rules. The SDC powers that be created a "special" forum …believe it or not …called the Club and Forum Discussion forum for threads like yours.

If you are still with me, Lou, here is the question:

Had you originally posted this thread …or a moderator "MOVED" it …to the Club and Forum Discussion forum would there have been MORE …LESS …or ABOUT THE SAME amount of "participants"?

Anyone else care to offer Lou their opinion? MORE …LESS …or ABOUT THE SAME "participants"?

clonelark
07-29-2016, 11:40 PM
I don't post nearly as often as i used to,at the start of the year i had a quadruple bypass, was in the hospital 9 days and didn't post on the forum for about a month. i'm sure i haven't posted more than 10 times this year. i try to check in almost every day but was on a small vacation this week. I'm sure i will like Studebakers till the day i die, but am here less than i used to be. As for my bypass i feel better now than i did before i had it.

JoeHall
07-30-2016, 06:55 AM

In the first 19 hours after YOU started this thread it has attracted nearly one thousand "participants" (posters + viewers). Of course most know your "FORUM PARTICIPATION" thread should NOT have been posted to this General Studebaker – Specific Discussion forum according to existing rules. The SDC powers that be created a "special" forum …believe it or not …called the Club and Forum Discussion forum for threads like yours.

Had you originally posted this thread …or a moderator "MOVED" it …to the Club and Forum Discussion forum would there have been MORE …LESS …or ABOUT THE SAME amount of "participants"?

Anyone else care to offer Lou their opinion? MORE …LESS …or ABOUT THE SAME "participants"?

This one is easy: Look at the viewers on line, in each of your above named forums. At this moment, there are 45 folks viewing the General forum; 34 viewing the Tech forum, and ZERO viewing the Club and Forum Discussion. At any given time, the numbers' spread is about the same. So, this thread woulda went unnoticed there, and eventually have been buried. Just not as many folks going there as to the General and Tech Forums.

DEEPNHOCK
07-30-2016, 07:58 AM
All of which tie to what I posted regarding Facebook.
Too many groups/pages/forums will dilute the participation levels (as your statistical analysis proved)
The OP was talking about participation, and the question about searching threads wormed it's way in..
The quality of the search depends on the quality of the thread header.
So many great threads have superb content, but a header that is useless.
They are lost forever because there is no reference to the content in the header.
Sure, you can do an advanced search and include the content, but that's where you get all the laundry, when it was socks you were looking for.
But... To the avid enthusiast, that is a small price to pay to read a new Stude tidbit every once and awhile.

This one is easy: Look at the viewers on line, in each of your above named forums. At this moment, there are 45 folks viewing the General forum; 34 viewing the Tech forum, and ZERO viewing the Club and Forum Discussion. At any given time, the numbers' spread is about the same. So, this thread woulda went unnoticed there, and eventually have been buried. Just not as many folks going there as to the General and Tech Forums.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 56Golden http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=1004095#post1004095)

Had you originally posted this thread …or a moderator "MOVED" it …to the Club and Forum Discussion forum would there have been MORE …LESS …orABOUT THE SAME amount of "participants"?

Buzzard
07-30-2016, 10:19 AM
I, like Lou, am hooked. I start my day with a good book, a Golden Retriever or two, cup of tea or coffee, then the SDC Forum "What's New? This seems to get me invigorated to attack whatever project is presenting itself as most important(right now this happens to be resurrecting a '59 Lark V8 2 dr ht which has been parked for the last 40+ years. All of you have been a huge help and I THANK YOU.
Cheers, Bill

junior
07-30-2016, 11:02 AM
(Opinion)......

...Facebook is an interesting place. But I predict it will eat itself alive...

the sooner the better...blight on our society, IMHO. cheers, Junior

jclary
07-30-2016, 11:58 AM
the sooner the better...blight on our society, IMHO. cheers, Junior

Anybody remember the CB radio fascination that swept the nation in the 1970's??? I still have an old 23 channel mounted under the dash of my retired '60 Lark. Also, have another one stored in one of my buildings. Besides the mobile units, I recall folks building rather elaborate radio rooms in their homes, with, for the time, sophisticated "Base Stations," and antennas almost tall enough to serve as cell phone towers.

Today, except for the Long Haul trucking industry, I can't think of anyone using them anymore.

As for me, I turn my computer on during breakfast. I usually open three tabs. This forum, craigslist, and my e-mail. Being retired, I spend a lot of time outdoors. When I drift inside to cool off, take a break, or have a meal, I'll check the forum, e mail, or do a little internet surfing (news, ebay, craigslist, or links posted here.) At bedtime, I usually turn off the computer. However, as far as signing on to the forum...I never sign off. I just have it set up to automatically sign me in when I click on the forum. I have noticed that (being I am on Eastern Standard Time), Forum Participation seems to follow the sun. At my breakfast time, it seems to "get busy," as people awaken on the U.S. east coast, and build a little, 'till those who work, have to rush out the door. Then, those who have access to the forum at work, sneak in a little participation. Again frequency of postings seem to fall a little bit during evening meal time (referencing my Eastern Time perspective) and picks back up about an hour or so later.

Overall participation, for those of us above the Equator, seems to fall off during summer, (car show, good weather) periods, and especially on weekends. From Friday afternoons, until the following Sunday evening, folks seem to be into activities that keep them away from the forum. (That's a good thing.) This is just my observation for those of us in North America, (Canada & U.S.).

I don't have an opinion of how our "International" participation works, because I have difficulty with global time perspective. For example, I think that 10AM U.S. Eastern Time is approx 10PM Western Austrailia time, but...a day ahead?:confused: So...as suspect as my opinion of forum participation is for North America:whome:... Even worse for our international participants. All I have to say about that, is that I love the international participation.:!: Besides giving us "International" contact with folks of common interests...the mere fact of an opportunity to communicate over such distances, at near "light speed," continues to excite my sense of wonderment.:)

JoeHall
07-30-2016, 12:04 PM
All of which tie to what I posted regarding Facebook.
Too many groups/pages/forums will dilute the participation levels (as your statistical analysis proved)
The OP was talking about participation, and the question about searching threads wormed it's way in..
The quality of the search depends on the quality of the thread header.
So many great threads have superb content, but a header that is useless.
They are lost forever because there is no reference to the content in the header.
Sure, you can do an advanced search and include the content, but that's where you get all the laundry, when it was socks you were looking for.
But... To the avid enthusiast, that is a small price to pay to read a new Stude tidbit every once and awhile.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by 56Golden http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?p=1004095#post1004095)

Had you originally posted this thread …or a moderator "MOVED" it …to the Club and Forum Discussion forum would there have been MORE …LESS …orABOUT THE SAME amount of "participants"?

FaceBook has been around since early 2004, and continues to grow. So it is not going away anytime soon. I have varied interests, and there is more to life than Studebakers, So I like being able to monitor multiple groups, with one sign on. Different strokes, but both this NG and FaceBook contribute to my quality of life. ;)

Studeous
07-31-2016, 10:41 AM
I think it would be neat to add a Drag Racing heading to this site. Long wheelbase coupes and light larks sure do have a lot of racing potential. The difference it the initial purchase price of a rough 66-67 Nova and a 59-66 Lark is enormous. And, yes, I know there is a Drag Racing Studebaker site.

showbizkid
07-31-2016, 04:22 PM

Not to divert from the original topic, but you must also take into account that the Club and Forum Discussion board is not accessible to people who are not logged in as members. IOW, if you're just cruising the Forum and don't have an account, you don't see that board - it's
for "family business" :)

I can tell you that usage does indeed decline over the summer when people tend to be more out and about than snowbound and seeking computer warmth :) As Jeff noted, all things are cyclical.

hausdok
07-31-2016, 09:09 PM
Sometimes folks come on and get into tiffs with another user and then they don't want to come on for a long time.

Sometimes folks put their foot in their mouth and get their comments edited or deleted by a moderator and they leave.

Sometimes folks come here to relax and when they see too much drama they leave.

Sometimes it's just the time of year.

Want to see what kind of activity there is? Scroll down and look to see how many members have read this thread. You'll see that the number of folks lurking and reading is probably about six times as high as the number of folks who regularly come on here and post openly. That's been the stat over on my forum for the past 14 years - lurkers are always 6 to over the regulars. That's OK because the open discussion gives them the information they need to do their Studebaker thing.

studegary
07-31-2016, 09:43 PM
Want to see what kind of activity there is? Scroll down and look to see how many members have read this thread. You'll see that the number of folks lurking and reading is probably about six times as high as the number of folks who regularly come on here and post openly. That's been the stat over on my forum for the past 14 years - lurkers are always 6 to over the regulars. That's OK because the open discussion gives them the information they need to do their Studebaker thing.

Good point. As of now, 302 have read this topic.

BRUCESTUDE
07-31-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm still here most every day, but I seem to have less to say over time. I spend more time just reading other posts.
Ditto for me!!

DEEPNHOCK
08-01-2016, 05:28 AM
Hey! All that happened on Sunday... (really!) :lol:

Sometimes folks come on and get into tiffs with another user and then they don't want to come on for a long time.

Sometimes folks put their foot in their mouth and get their comments edited or deleted by a moderator and they leave.

<snip>

Neil
08-01-2016, 08:51 AM
I lurk here all the time reading topics but rare for me to post unless there is something that pertains to my Stude experiences or info that I dont know or have forgot, that happens often now.

SN-60
08-01-2016, 11:05 AM

And sometimes a moderator becomes a bit too 'overbearing'....... we all need a break from that occasionally!! ;)

Skip Lackie
08-01-2016, 04:03 PM
And sometimes a moderator becomes a bit too 'overbearing'....... we all need a break from that occasionally!! ;)

Funny -- I've never noticed that.

Sdude
08-01-2016, 04:05 PM
:eek: See What You Started Lou!

Lou Van Anne
08-01-2016, 06:35 PM
:!!:Ok, I'll volunteer to be shot at sunrise...will you pull the trigger?
:eek: See What You Started Lou!

Maverick
08-01-2016, 06:57 PM
I left this forum for 4 years and neglected my Lark for the same amount of time, but now I am back. Hopefully to pass on all the knowledge that I gained in that amount of time to others. I mainly left only because I have a 1967 Mustang that took over my limited amount of free time and then there was a 1979 MGB and a 1974 1/4 MGB so many girlfriends so little time to spend with them all.

SN-60
08-01-2016, 07:03 PM
I left this forum for 4 years and neglected my Lark for the same amount of time, but now I am back. Hopefully to pass on all the knowledge that I gained in that amount of time to others. I mainly left only because I have a 1967 Mustang that took over my limited amount of free time and then there was a 1979 MGB and a 1974 1/4 MGB so many girlfriends so little time to spend with them all.

Good to hear you've 'come in from the cold'! :!:

Sdude
08-01-2016, 11:19 PM
:!!:Ok, I'll volunteer to be shot at sunrise...will you pull the trigger?

Naw, man, it's all good..... If you were gone, who's chops could I bust?

StudeRich
08-02-2016, 12:59 AM
I left this forum for 4 years and neglected my Lark for the same amount of time, but now I am back. Hopefully to pass on all the knowledge that I gained in that amount of time to others./Cut/

I kind of regretted my Son selling this Car, it was a very Cute, unusual Car, V8 Automatic and AIR CONDITIONING in a '60 Lark VIII Deluxe 2 Door Sedan IS very ODD, and Rare if nothing else. :!:

We did wonder why it never appeared on the Road here in the County or at our numerous Local SDC Car Shows because it was a turn key Driver.
56914 Jeff, if you have not yet, you need to Post/Register your '60 Lark here:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?82980-1960-Lark-forum-registry/page4

StudeNewby
08-02-2016, 07:13 AM
While my wife plays Spider on her tablet each night, I gravitate here to check on the latest gossip, but more important, LEARN. And learn I have. My thanks to everyone who continues to contribute to my education of All Things Studebaker :!!:

JRoberts
08-02-2016, 08:55 AM
I too find the search function here nearly useless. I think that for folks coming here to get specific questions answered get frustrated and go no further. This is aggravated even further when questions get asked that may have already been dealt with and one with the question gets chastised for not using search. Not a good way to impress folks. I have no idea how to document the rise or fall of the number of participants here, but while I do see some that do not participate any longer I also think there are a number of new participants who participate fair regularly.

StudeNewby
08-02-2016, 10:11 AM
This is aggravated even further when questions get asked that may have already been dealt with and one with the question gets chastised for not using search. Not a good way to impress folks.

Good point, Joe. And even if a question has been answered before, there is usually a nuance or two that has not been previously discussed. Regardless, there are plenty of subject matter experts here that are happy to answer a question for a second, or third, time. Let them!

jclary
08-02-2016, 11:02 AM
...when questions get asked that may have already been dealt with ...

Repetition...while it can get rather tiresome to some, it is intrinsic to the cycle of life. Here is a couple of quotes found on the subject.

Repetition is important in the training not only of animals but also of humans. (Yann Martel)

If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again. (Groucho Marx}

There are many thoughts on the subject, (positive & negative), but just as the cycle of orbits in the universe...repetition is essential.:)

64V19816
08-02-2016, 11:10 AM
I don't have a catchy nickname, I'm not in the "clique", dont have "more" knowledge to share than most others, dont post in vivid varied fonts and colors, dont have a massive photo setup for a sigline........so I mostly search and read.

DEEPNHOCK
08-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Your comments are apropos.
It does not take any of the things you list to participate.
But not all of them are a bad thing.

I post in blue for one reason. It is easier for a forum participant to read.
My sig line has been unchanged for years.
My screen name has been the name of the ranch, and e-mail, for over three decades.
If there is a clique...Leave me out of it.
I'll share... If it is worth sharing.

I don't have a catchy nickname, I'm not in the "clique", dont have "more" knowledge to share than most others, dont post in vivid varied fonts and colors, dont have a massive photo setup for a sigline........so I mostly search and read.

JoeHall
08-02-2016, 11:20 AM

I can certainly appreciate that. Sounds like you do not want nor expect placating. I bet you also get your own coffee. If someone else offers you coffee, you likely don't send it back, or refuse to drink it, if the sugar & cream is not just right. Your post is like a breath of fresh air. Thanks for sharing :)

DEEPNHOCK
08-02-2016, 11:25 AM
I do not disagree with you about Facebook.
Just pointing out the self induced dilution of content.
The more pages, and groups, out there, the less the individual participation will be.
Like the SDC forum... The participation rate for each forum drops off dramatically.
Nothing wrong with that, but more makes the rate drop off even faster.

FaceBook has been around since early 2004, and continues to grow. So it is not going away anytime soon. I have varied interests, and there is more to life than Studebakers, So I like being able to monitor multiple groups, with one sign on. Different strokes, but both this NG and FaceBook contribute to my quality of life. ;)

64V19816
08-02-2016, 12:03 PM
I think in this mobile digital world taking a look at this forum is just like when 20-30 years ago we would casually look through our TW. Probably a lot of sitting on the white throne time paging throw an old TW is replaced by potty time reading the forum on your iPhone and don't say you don't because we all do it :-)

Commander Eddie
08-02-2016, 12:12 PM
I think in this mobile digital world taking a look at this forum is just like when 20-30 years ago we would casually look through our TW. Probably a lot of sitting on the white throne time paging throw an old TW is replaced by potty time reading the forum on your iPhone and don't say you don't because we all do it :-)

I don't. I still use a flip phone and use it only to make and take phone calls. Call me old fashioned. (I have been known to take my TW into the "throne room" from time to time. :D

56Golden
08-02-2016, 01:18 PM
(I have been known to take my TW into the "throne room" from time to time. :D
Doesn't a Sears Roebuck catalog work better???

(sorry, couldn't resist!):lol:

studegary
08-02-2016, 01:25 PM
I kind of regretted my Son selling this Car, it was a very Cute, unusual Car, V8 Automatic and AIR CONDITIONING in a '60 Lark VIII Deluxe 2 Door Sedan IS very ODD, and Rare if nothing else. :!:

Out of more than 50 Studebakers, only one had factory air conditioning. It was similar to that one. It was a 1960 Lark VIII four door sedan with A/C, AT and 259. I bought it in Cleveland, Ohio. I think that others did not look at it because it was in Ohio. It turned out to be a rust-free car that had just been brought up from Texas.

studegary
08-02-2016, 01:28 PM

I am another that does not do that. I do not have a flip phone. I have a fairly new (2016) LG, but it is a dumb phone, not a smart phone. We only use it to make telephone calls.

Maverick
08-02-2016, 01:43 PM

We did wonder why it never appeared on the Road here in the County or at our numerous Local SDC Car Shows because it was a turn key Driver.
56914 Jeff, if you have not yet, you need to Post/Register your '60 Lark here:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?82980-1960-Lark-forum-registry/page4

I am on vacation for all of August and she will be released from her prison this week to reenter into general population again. She needs a transmission as I am without the reverse gear but as long as I am going forward and not backwards I am fine. I am sure there are other things I need to do but she starts right up and still looks relatively the same. I really should do some things with the local chapter or at least get friendly with them as I am sure I will need some help with a few things on the car like the transmission and new seats and carpet. Now that I am 40 I feel that I have matured and should spend less time partying and more time giving back to the community and if that means showing off the car then I am all for that. I also need a better class of acquaintances.

I will also register the car and post the pictures I have of her when I get home.

48skyliner
08-02-2016, 02:28 PM
I have a cell phone that I only use to make and receive calls, never use the camera and I have never texted. I have no cell reception where I live, so only turn on the cell phone when I am out running errands.

I have DSL through my phone company, and I watch movies on Youtube and other sources, but cannot stream the highest quality. A couple of my friends have laptops with the software we use for diagnostics of my engines. I have never had anything but a desktop computer, currently have two with versions of Windows 7. My computers easily handle any activity that is required for this or any other forum I have used.

My digital camera is a 4 mp Canon, made in 2000, still functions perfectly and I have no need for any higher quality/resolution photos for display on my computer or posting to a forum.

As far as photos on this forum are concerned, the non-Studebaker sections of the forum, i.e., Stovehuggers, require you to upload your photos to an on-line service, then post the URL, to save bandwidth. I have previously suggested that the forum should allow normal posting of photos on Stovehuggers, but just make the photos, or indeed the entire posting go away after a specified time, such as 10 days or 30 days. If it is not Studebaker, why should it be archived on this forum?

Sdude
08-02-2016, 02:39 PM
I do not disagree with you about Facebook.
Just pointing out the self induced dilution of content.
The more pages, and groups, out there, the less the individual participation will be.
Like the SDC forum... The participation rate for each forum drops off dramatically.
Nothing wrong with that, but more makes the rate drop off even faster.

I check facebook and the Forum. I wake up and check my phone and there are always several posts and I know I can count on at least one of them being from Jeff Rice. I enjoy them because they have Studebaker content (for the most part). I could do without all the political crap and have considered dropping out because of it. I don't really want to unfriend people because I don't like their political point of view, but I do get tired of the hateful rhetoric. So glad the Forum has a no religion or politics rule.

dleroux
08-02-2016, 03:04 PM
What's this about "No Religion?" We all have faith in our Studebakers

SScopelli
08-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Well, when the cold winds blow in the Midwest, I'm sure the activity will increase.

Until then, even in the Southwest, seems silly to post all day when I have a floor pan to replace and the sun is out.

Still need to patch up a few rust spots..

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8651/28650504741_c024f4c602_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KDKjTF)IMG_2005 (https://flic.kr/p/KDKjTF) by s blazel (https://www.flickr.com/photos/124054617@N06/), on Flickr

StudeRich
08-02-2016, 03:29 PM
What kind of GAS are you on there Sebastian? Does it make you happy? :D

Looks like a LOT of work, but will save another Stude. which one is this?

Lou Van Anne
08-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Well put my friend. (Has my execution been postponed?)
I check facebook and the Forum. I wake up and check my phone and there are always several posts and I know I can count on at least one of them being from Jeff Rice. I enjoy them because they have Studebaker content (for the most part). I could do without all the political crap and have considered dropping out because of it. I don't really want to unfriend people because I don't like their political point of view, but I do get tired of the hateful rhetoric. So glad the Forum has a no religion or politics rule.

karterfred88
08-02-2016, 04:16 PM
OK gotta know--what '60s Go-Kart is that rusting away in the back ground ??

jclary
08-02-2016, 04:31 PM
My opinion is that the picture in post #90 would make one of the best Turning Wheels cover photos...EVER.:!:

Also, would be great for a "month of Spring" calendar.:) I believe every serious car guy could identify with this picture.;)

SScopelli
08-02-2016, 10:55 PM
What kind of GAS are you on there Sebastian? Does it make you happy? :D

Looks like a LOT of work, but will save another Stude. which one is this?

Funny. :lol:. I guess it does look like the propane gas is hooked to my mask, but it really is powering the torch in my left hand..

A little heat on the undercoating and it just scrapes off. Notice the 20lbs of undercoating at my feet?

Besides I get a natural high just working on cool cars..

This will be the floor in the 63 Green Mist Regal R1 I picked up from Stockton 2 years ago..

Wow! that long ago! :eek: I'd better get moving faster.. And as Studejohn noted, I posted this picture in the wrong post.

I will be creating my own post with the build of this car..

OK gotta know--what '60s Go-Kart is that rusting away in the background ??

Actually, it runs pretty well. Slightly modified for a bit more power..

My opinion is that the picture in post #90 would make one of the best Turning Wheels cover photos...EVER.:!:

Also, would be great for a "month of Spring" calendar.:) I believe every serious car guy could identify with this picture.;)

Thanks! I think it was around 104 that day.. Which is the same temperature in Spring in Phoenix. Shade of that three really helped.

BTW the Photo was taken by StudeJohn so he should get the photo artistic credit..

DEEPNHOCK
08-03-2016, 06:45 AM
(Don't pay attention to that Jeff Rice guy. He's a jerk:whome:)...

showbizkid
08-03-2016, 10:44 AM
What's this about "No Religion?" We all have faith in our Studebakers

:woot::!!:

I use a 53-year-old car as my daily driver - I must either be loony or believe in the Power of South Bend!!

Sdude
08-03-2016, 12:11 PM
(Don't pay attention to that Jeff Rice guy. He's a jerk:whome:)...

I was going to "like" that comment but couldn't figure out how to do it.

SN-60
08-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Something that probably would turn off newcomers to this forum is the lack of enthusiasm a few of the 'Stude Forum Patriarch's' have to new thoughts and ideas concerning our favorite subject.....STUDEBAKERS!

Unfortunately, I've seen time and time again that some VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE and WELL RESPECTED Studebaker Forum members, folks that people turn to for advice, adamantly feel that Studebaker automotive history ended, and was set into stone, when auto production ceased in '66 (IMHO)

Inflexible attitudes such as this really don't 'help the cause'..... and we're probably losing a few new SDC AND Studebaker Forum prospects because of it.:( (also IMHO)

karterfred88
08-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Getting back to the original thread content, I have noticed quite a bit of "new" posters lately. Judging only by the number of posts they have made, I would say there is a new group joining so that is hopeful. I do think that we may be "over-answering" them though, as it appears they drop out of the conversation much quicker than the "long timers", that may be cause for them not to return.

StudeDave57
08-06-2016, 06:48 PM
I'm not going to get into the dirty details, or name names,
but my participation reduction comes out of pure boredom with it all.

:cheers:

Aussie Hawk
08-07-2016, 05:21 AM
See ya, don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out. ;-)

JoeHall
08-07-2016, 09:11 AM
See ya, don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out.

LOL. Sad to say, but that's about all anyone can offer someone who is just plain bored. Its hard to fix that, and the fix is usually an inside job anyway.

StudeDave57
08-08-2016, 01:00 AM
See ya, don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out.
That was a pretty constructive comment.
Was it directed at me?
Please note that I never said I was leaving.
But if that is what someone who I have helped has to say- maybe I ought to think about doing so. I am certain I can find better things to do with my time besides helping StudeFolks I have never met...

LOL. Sad to say, but that's about all anyone can offer someone who is just plain bored. Its hard to fix that, and the fix is usually an inside job anyway.
I know of a few ways to 'fix' it, but most are beyond my control.
Either way- after seeing the above comment- why would I bother?

StudeDave '57 :cool:

evilhawk
08-08-2016, 10:32 AM
I have been coming here more often lately since I have been working on the '59 again. I find this site to be very helpful and thanks to all the members who were patient enough to answer all my redundant newbie questions, I was able to put my Hawk back on the road where it belongs! :!:

Thanks again!

-Sam

dean pearson
08-08-2016, 12:13 PM
I'm not going to get into the dirty details, or name names,
but my participation reduction comes out of pure boredom with it all.

Amen. Life's too short. Thanks to the moderators here for showing me the light.
I regret even posting this!

Dean.

Dean.

Aussie Hawk
08-08-2016, 07:19 PM
See ya, don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way out. ;-)

Just a clarification here. The above saying is used often down here in jest. Another example of Aussie humour not translating to US humour.

StudeRich
08-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Interesting. We use that same term here or did, but usually not in a Nice Way! :(

56Golden
08-08-2016, 08:18 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/hug/group-hugging-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)
Aah, that is sooo …sweet; you guys "kissin' ...huggin' & makin'-up"
(an American translation:D)

Aussie Hawk
08-08-2016, 08:43 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/hug/group-hugging-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)
Aah, that is sooo …sweet; you guys "kissin' ...huggin' & makin'-up"
(an American translation:D)

No I wouldn't go as far as that Jim, :-0 But this has happened a couple of times before where Australian humour and US humour did not mesh, and I'm not above apologising if there has been a misunderstanding. By the same token if I have an issue with someone I'll let them know in language we both understand. ;-) This is why many Australian comedy shows over the years have failed in the US, sometimes it just doesn't gel.

jclary
08-08-2016, 08:57 PM
Hey Matt... Lots of "American" comedy shows have failed in the U.S. too!;) In fact, for most of them, FAILING, is the funniest part of the show.:rolleyes::oops:

Aussie Hawk
08-08-2016, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=jclary;1005974]Hey Matt... Lots of "American" comedy shows have failed in the U.S. too!;) In fact, for most of them, FAILING, is the funniest part of the show.:rolleyes::oops:[/QUO

Just recently there was another post on the Forum about the different car parts names we use down here as opposed to you guys. Often I get asked what the USA is like when people find out I travel there semi-regularly. I say it's just like here (Aust), but different in a million small ways. I've even have some issues when travelling in the States getting myself understood, a combination of accent and nomenclature I guess. Anyway I hope that has put that misunderstanding with Dave to bed, I already owe him a few beers at the 2017 Sth Bend meet, for a favour he did for me a while back.

StudeRich
08-09-2016, 04:21 PM
What I have noticed at the International Meets (which has been my ONLY encounter with any of them) about the Australians and also the New Zealanders, is that they are not as SERIOUS as we are, they are more about having Fun and are more "Laid Back", so it follows that we would take things more seriously that they think is a Joke! :ohmy:

Aussie Hawk
08-09-2016, 11:19 PM
What I have noticed at the International Meets (which has been my ONLY encounter with any of them) about the Australians and also the New Zealanders, is that they are not as SERIOUS as we are, they are more about having Fun and are more "Laid Back", so it follows that we would take things more seriously that they think is a Joke! :ohmy:

You're close to the mark Rich. You also have to remember our sense of humour is based on the English, which I know a lot of your countrymen just don't get. It does seems you guys are more tightly wound than us, but hey if we were all the same what a boring place it would be. Oh, if you really do piss a Kiwi or an Aussie off you'll know about it ;-)

Milaca
08-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Just catching up on this forum spat. Been too busy working on a 1963 Daytona hardtop along with watching the Olympics!
As for English comedy, gotta love those old episodes of Benny Hill ;) Of course, such a show would not be made today because of political correctness.

Aussie Hawk
08-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Just catching up on this forum spat. Been too busy working on a 1963 Daytona hardtop along with watching the Olympics!
As for English comedy, gotta love those old episodes of Benny Hill ;) Of course, such a show would not be made today because of political correctness.

Benny Hill ! How old are you Milaca ;-) There is a local murder mystery series made down here that apparently has a large US following - The Dr Blake Murder Mysteries.

Sdude
08-10-2016, 08:48 AM

My favorite British comedy show was Morcombe and Wise. Any fans of them out there?

Quentin
08-10-2016, 09:00 AM
I bought a Studebaker Hawk in May 2014. I spent a lot of time looking, looking, looking at the Hawk, noting its' deficiencies from sitting idle for 10 years, and buying the Manuals and stockpiling parts. I then joined this forum in November of that year, primarily because when I did google searches for research, it always popped up as the answer. I have found it incredibly useful, and has in many instances solved the issues I faced during my build, either through reading old posts or asking direct questions. When I felt I had enough knowledge to muddle through I actually began my build in June 2015. Nearly finished. The only criticisms I have of the forum is that the a) search feature has been difficult to find answers at times; b) some posters find my or others inability to search frustrating because Boris Flootsnoot asked the exact same question in 2007 and they answered the query way back when!
However, those minor things certainly wont get me to use facebook, or use the site less.
Are there less contributors? Maybe, perhaps due to less Studebakers through natural attrition........... or, that the gang of "originals" who worked at South Bend / owned dealerships / were mechanics/racers/rodders back when Studebakers were sold new, are now our senior citizens- there was a survey done last year that showed the age of members at mostly 70+ ??? Theres that old natural attrition again......

Scott
08-10-2016, 09:07 AM
I don't. I still use a flip phone and use it only to make and take phone calls. Call me old fashioned. (I have been known to take my TW into the "throne room" from time to time. :D
Hey, me too! Is it an Oregon thing? I had a smart phone for 2 weeks and did not like it. Where I take my TW is between me and my TW. ;)

DougHolverson
08-10-2016, 10:13 AM
The only criticisms I have of the forum is that the a) search feature has been difficult to find answers at times; b) some posters find my or others inability to search frustrating because Boris Flootsnoot asked the exact same question in 2007 and they answered the query way back when!

Maybe a FAQ section or pinned threads for stuff like "unsticking engines", "no fuel delivery", "patching rust", etc. could be nice.

Buzzard
08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Lou,
Mostly I agree, but for me, the summer (nicer weather) is when I try to work on our property and time permitting, my Stude and other projects. Hence less time sitting inside, more time enjoying the outdoors. We are fortunate we live in the British Columbia wilderness, "off the grid" so there is always stuff to do. Sometimes I think my whole life is ruled by batteries. Having just acquired a '59 Lark V8 HT which sat for over 40+years, I am real busy getting her roadworthy once again. I agree with Doug as to simplifying the search threads for ease of sourcing pertinent information which (most likely) may have been covered before and being non repetitive.
Cheers, Bill

Milaca
08-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Benny Hill ! How old are you Milaca ;-) There is a local murder mystery series made down here that apparently has a large US following - The Dr Blake Murder Mysteries.

I am 44, and loved the show as a kid! As for the Dr. Blake Murder Mysteries, I love the show! I watch it every Friday night. Every Saturday night I watch Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries. And you thought we American's didn't watch Aussie television shows? ;)

dleroux
08-10-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm 62 & "used" to live in MN (Duluth). After 26 years I decided Winter is a lesson for slow learners. Visit at least once a year & I still have great memories & respect for MN & I too love Benny (Bosomy Hill). Are you headed to the DLH event this weekend?

Milaca
08-10-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm 62 & "used" to live in MN (Duluth). After 26 years I decided Winter is a lesson for slow learners. Visit at least once a year & I still have great memories & respect for MN & I too love Benny (Bosomy Hill). Are you headed to the DLH event this weekend?

What is the 'DLH' event? I will be going to the Studebaker Northland Chapter car show & swap meet this Sunday near Duluth. I believe the following weekend is the biggest event for Duluth when the tall ships anchor in the port.

am not r2
08-11-2016, 05:44 AM
I only check in maybe weekly all year. 2 kids in high school and life in general keep me busy. That said I agree with Jeff on the rancor issue. Being polite never goes out of style. Rancor and just rudeness will make me leave quickly. I used to post more but after I got a few rude replies or snide remarks I backed off.
No I don't believe that our moderator is too heavy handed. Rude people need a check on line. In person you would know when you got up off the floor that you had insulted me. On line you can cower behind your keyboard. I would reply to those trolls with wit and humor if I could but I learned long ago to never have a war of wits with unarmed persons.
So there you have it. My two cents and maybe worth half of that. R

JoeHall
08-11-2016, 10:23 AM
am not r2. Long ago, I lived in Syracuse for 7 years. So I know New Yorkers are tough. But if you beat up all who insult, you gotta be beatin up several people every week! Heck, I was insulted at McDonalds' drive thru just this morning ;)

sweetolbob
08-11-2016, 11:11 AM
I believe the following weekend is the biggest event for Duluth when the tall ships anchor in the port.

They just left here two weeks ago. I highly recommend that anyone close go even though the Viking ship won't be present. The Spanish Gallon is worth the price of admission alone. The remainder of the ships are the more common training and sailing ships that come back for the event routinely.

One look at the Viking Ship with the low freeboard makes me think the Vikings were either crazy or just needed to sail west (probably both) because that's not a large nor deep sailing vessel. Too bad it won't make Duluth.

Highly recommend seeing them, Bob

Quentin
08-12-2016, 07:51 AM
I don't have an opinion of how our "International" participation works, because I have difficulty with global time perspective. For example, I think that 10AM U.S. Eastern Time is approx 10PM Western Austrailia time

We in WA (western Oztraya) are 12 hours ahead of you on your east coast, 15 hours ahead of your west coast. Picture breakfast time/dinner time. Generally I log in the evening, so you would have to be early birds to be actually on the forum while I am.

jclary
08-12-2016, 08:03 AM
We in WA (western Oztraya) are 12 hours ahead of you on your east coast, 15 hours ahead of your west coast. Picture breakfast time/dinner time. Generally I log in the evening, so you would have to be early birds to be actually on the forum while I am.

Hey...that's great! While enjoying my morning coffee...I have the opportunity to communicate with someone...TOMORROW!!!:!:...UGH...NOW!?:confused:;)

Skip Lackie
08-12-2016, 04:04 PM
I am 44, and loved the show as a kid! As for the Dr. Blake Murder Mysteries, I love the show! I watch it every Friday night. Every Saturday night I watch Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries. And you thought we American's didn't watch Aussie television shows? ;)

Yeah, we like those shows a lot, too. And another Aussie drama is coming -- a legal thriller called Janet King -- the Enemy Within.

Aussie Hawk
08-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Yeah, we like those shows a lot, too. And another Aussie drama is coming -- a legal thriller called Janet King -- the Enemy Within.

Having grown up with US television shows; F troop, Gilligans Is, Gomer Pyle etc I never thought Aust TV shows would be popular there. The ones Milaca mentioned Dr Blake and Miss Fisher mysteries have become very popular here. Skip the Janet King series has come and gone here, it was followed by another series about the legal fraternity - Rake. About a hapless and hard living Lawyer, getting into all sorts of hot water. There was another good series, 'Jack Irish' starring Guy Pierce (L.A. Confidential, Iron Man 3, Memento) as a private detective. It even has a Studebaker link, he drives a finned Hawk which you see quite often. I won't give you any spoilers for the series mentioned above ;-)

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/jackirish/ Jack's Stude pics - http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_546145-Studebaker-Hawk-1960.html

Janet King - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2645122/

Rake - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587000/