Studebaker Paint Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Paint Source

As I had stated in my post about the 2/2008 Issue of Hemmings, there is an article that The EPA is planning to put new rules in effect around 2010 to stop allowing paint to be sold to anyone who doesn't have the proper equipment which includes the paint booth..

I was planning on trying to paint my Avanti next year in school.

I had tried a few p[laces to get a match for my 63 Avanti's Turquose paint. I had the charts and brought in the trunk lid to a few places. None of them could get a match to todays base paints.

Does anyone know of a supplier that has close to matching paint for Studebakers . I'd like to get the color as close as possible to the original. I realize that the formulas from 63 are different than todays paints. Any help/direction would be appreciated..

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.....

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

If my memory is correct, the paint# 's you have are DuPont #s. If that is the case, a good quality paint supplier like Keystone or others should be able to match it or at least get close to it. If you need help let me know outside of here.

See you in the future as I write about our past
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

If my memory is correct, the paint# 's you have are DuPont #s. If that is the case, a good quality paint supplier like Keystone or others should be able to match it or at least get close to it. If you need help let me know outside of here.

See you in the future as I write about our past
      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

What Don said...plus, all good paint stores will have a device that they hold up against your paint. It "takes a picture" and translates it into a paint formula. If you have some good, original paint on that trunk lid, it should be easy for the paint store to perfectly match it.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

What Don said...plus, all good paint stores will have a device that they hold up against your paint. It "takes a picture" and translates it into a paint formula. If you have some good, original paint on that trunk lid, it should be easy for the paint store to perfectly match it.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I actually took the lid and a dupont paint code from 63 to a dupont paint store by me...The guy behind the counter said the code was useless, didn't apply to todays paints..Tried the computer scan..the matching dots were off..Said the best he could do was get a close match..

I'd like to get as close as I can.The only reason I'm posting this is that I plan/hope to paint it next year so, I'd like to get the reasearch part started now...

Comment

I actually took the lid and a dupont paint code from 63 to a dupont paint store by me...The guy behind the counter said the code was useless, didn't apply to todays paints..Tried the computer scan..the matching dots were off..Said the best he could do was get a close match..

I'd like to get as close as I can.The only reason I'm posting this is that I plan/hope to paint it next year so, I'd like to get the reasearch part started now...

Comment

In these days, it is 3 Turquoise Avanti -63 in Sweden.
                One of them was in a acident some years ago.
                The paintshop did a scan,
                and came up with a modern color that was a perfect match.
                The color name/code is
                Citroen 658.
                If this help, please let me know.
                I will paint my car sometime.

Lennart...
                -63 Avanti R1
                -61 Champ 6E5 122"
                -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112"
                -58 Golden Hawk
                Lennart...
                -63 Avanti R1
                -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
                -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
                -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

In these days, it is 3 Turquoise Avanti -63 in Sweden.
                  One of them was in a acident some years ago.
                  The paintshop did a scan,
                  and came up with a modern color that was a perfect match.
                  The color name/code is
                  Citroen 658.
                  If this help, please let me know.
                  I will paint my car sometime.

Lennart...
                  -63 Avanti R1
                  -61 Champ 6E5 122"
                  -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112"
                  -58 Golden Hawk
                  Lennart...
                  -63 Avanti R1
                  -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
                  -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
                  -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

Not disagreeing with you Dick, but even with the advent of 'puter matching'...
                    Matching old paint to new paint is a black art...
                    (I was going to say crapshoot, but that would be crass and crude[}])...
                    I have been to several of my better distributors that are highly trained in paint color formulating, and after they get the 'compter match formula' the guy goes in the back and still measures the paint the old fashioned way.
                    Sure, he has a 'formula', but the stuff is still metered out the old fashioned way.
                    The last few paint jobs I have been associated with (names changed to protect the guilty)...Have been 'close', but not 'on the money' perfect.
                    And this is from the pro's!
                    Maybe I am too fussy.
                    That's why I chose a bland (if not bright) solid color paint.
                    Ease of maintenance, and repair.
                    Parsimonious to the end....Stude style!
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Not disagreeing with you Dick, but even with the advent of 'puter matching'...
                      Matching old paint to new paint is a black art...
                      (I was going to say crapshoot, but that would be crass and crude[}])...
                      I have been to several of my better distributors that are highly trained in paint color formulating, and after they get the 'compter match formula' the guy goes in the back and still measures the paint the old fashioned way.
                      Sure, he has a 'formula', but the stuff is still metered out the old fashioned way.
                      The last few paint jobs I have been associated with (names changed to protect the guilty)...Have been 'close', but not 'on the money' perfect.
                      And this is from the pro's!
                      Maybe I am too fussy.
                      That's why I chose a bland (if not bright) solid color paint.
                      Ease of maintenance, and repair.
                      Parsimonious to the end....Stude style!
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I did what Dick had suggested and had them take the computer but, as in my previous response, it was way off target..And that was using the inside of the trunk hood which is sheltered from the weather..He couldn't get a good match from the top of the hood.

I even tried a few of the paint supplies on the web and none of them could/had a match for Avanti Turquose which suprised me as I thought that was one of the more popular colors.

Comment

I did what Dick had suggested and had them take the computer but, as in my previous response, it was way off target..And that was using the inside of the trunk hood which is sheltered from the weather..He couldn't get a good match from the top of the hood.

I even tried a few of the paint supplies on the web and none of them could/had a match for Avanti Turquose which suprised me as I thought that was one of the more popular colors.

Comment

From Glasurit's website: Unfortunately, they don't show a chip.

BLUE ARGENTE MET is Silver Blue Metallic. Doesn't sound like turquoise, but you never know.

CITROEN BLEU ARGENTE MET AC658 1979-1984 6*02*07.00

Comment

From Glasurit's website: Unfortunately, they don't show a chip.

BLUE ARGENTE MET is Silver Blue Metallic. Doesn't sound like turquoise, but you never know.

CITROEN BLEU ARGENTE MET AC658 1979-1984 6*02*07.00

Comment

Working...
                              X