Wilwood master for Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Wilwood master for Avanti

How can one utilize a modern Wilwood Master Cylinder on a Studebaker Avanti?

Seems custom mounts must be made etc?

I'd guess it also depends on which master cylinder. I know it's different, but I adapted a twin piston, remote reservoir into a coupla 54 wagons. One for my driver, one in my hot rod wagon.
    1.00" piston, works great with the disc brakes, no booster required.

Mike

Comment

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks, but I want to retain the Bendix booster that is on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
          Thanks, but I want to retain the Bendix booster that is on the car.

Here's an adapter 4 bolt to two...

64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The custom conversion mount in post 5 works, but remember you are adding about 3/8" distance from your booster- very close to the max on travel adjustment on the stock booster push rod, you may have to adapt an extension, or a "slug" into the master's piston, to get the needed clearance and throw from the booster. I don't have the necessary travel handy to give you for the replacement M/C but remember to match the OEM one closely, as the lever assembly has a fixed ratio, and the Avanti pedal does not much excess room before you hit the floor, stock. The stock M/C bore was 1 1/8", a smaller bore will add line pressure, but require more travel. The 1" bore Corvette M/C I have on mine, works, but floor clearance at panic stops is-- "sweaty". I'm just going back to the original, but a 1 1/16" may be a good compromise.

Comment

Since Ford, Chrysler and AMC Dual Reservoir Master Cylinders for Disc Brakes are readily available and cheap, WHY would a expensive and incorrect looking Wilwood be any advantage? Just harder to find a replacement or Parts on the Road.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Since Ford, Chrysler and AMC Dual Reservoir Master Cylinders for Disc Brakes are readily available and cheap, WHY would a expensive and incorrect looking Wilwood be any advantage? Just harder to find a replacement or Parts on the Road.
                Looks nifty, and high tech, maybe. Function is the same.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm-Engine-r4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1707999Plus it's much lighter than the 4 bolt cast iron weight that has been a popular Avanti conversion for years. Some people like the look, and the quality of a proven aftermarket piece. I have used them in more than one conversion, and they do work well. They come with the "slug" spacer and also the rear mounting is not flush, like the stock master cylinders.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]56703[/ATTACH]Plus it's much lighter than the 4 bolt cast iron weight that has been a popular Avanti conversion for years. Some people like the look, and the quality of a proven aftermarket piece. I have used them in more than one conversion, and they do work well. They come with the "slug" spacer and also the rear mounting is not flush, like the stock master cylinders.
                    Nice hydro (or hydra) boost, is it working of the stack Eaton?

Comment

A. Because the "bails" that hold down the cover do not have enough "clamping force" which allows B. The rubber sealing gasket to "weep" brake fluid over the sides of the master doing such "nice" things to the inner panel paint let alone the paint on the master.
                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                        Nice hydro (or hydra) boost, is it working of the stack Eaton?
                        It would.....however, I have used a KRC nascar pump, because I had it, and the billet mounting plates I made for the serpentine drive allowed a nice fit.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hi people
                          this is my first attempt at this so please be kind I have a 1940 champion 4door saloon that I'm rebuilding in NZ can anyone tell me if the mechanicals of a 1946 champion are the same ie motor gearbox diff etc if not can anyone tell me where I can get a complete 1940 champion that I buy
                          best regards
                          robin

Comment

Originally posted by Rminch View Post
                            Hi people
                            this is my first attempt at this so please be kind I have a 1940 champion 4door saloon that I'm rebuilding in NZ can anyone tell me if the mechanicals of a 1946 champion are the same ie motor gearbox diff etc if not can anyone tell me where I can get a complete 1940 champion that I buy
                            best regards
                            robin
                            Most of us will be kind, but this is posted in a thread that is discussing Wilwood brake parts. I suggest you start an entirely new post in the General Stude-specific section of this web site. You can copy your current text from this post and paste into the new thread. Click on the oblong "Post new thread" symbol on the left side.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum, Robin.

Ditto Skip's thoughts, your question will not be found for future reference for others unless you use a definitive TITLE on your own NEW String of Posts and also be found by those that can help.

It really should be in the Tech. Forum.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X