Stolen wind deflectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen wind deflectors

Were the stolen wind deflectors recovered, or the perpetrators ever identified from the incident at the National Meet in Glendale a few years back?
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

We have "Wind Deflectors" over here but they are not Windows, what was taken were Vent Windows from the front doors of a 1930's Stude.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Geez Matt get your facts right!
      Brian Greenall
      Melbourne, OZ
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
        Geez Matt get your facts right!
        LOL, Lol!!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ah, the English language...how it divides people of common ancestry.

Comment

The last I heard was that the BoD's had identified the culprit and it would be 'aired' in TW's. NEVER HAPPENED! Like all the other SDC monetary 'problems', the REAL story, nor 'justice', never reaches the members. Sort of like government cover-ups. stupak

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
              The last I heard was that the BoD's had identified the culprit and it would be 'aired' in TW's. NEVER HAPPENED! Like all the other SDC monetary 'problems', the REAL story, nor 'justice', never reaches the members. Sort of like government cover-ups. stupak
              Just like we never heard the real story behind the Packard prototype that was featured on the cover of TW once (August 2002) . I STILL want to know if it was McKeehan behind that or someone else. It was a fraud.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Just like we never heard the real story behind the Packard prototype that was featured on the cover of TW once (August 2002) . I STILL want to know if it was McKeehan behind that or someone else. It was a fraud.
                Scott, I believe it has well established that Paul McKeehan indeed duped both Turning Wheels and The Packard Cormorant Editors with his imagination and less-than-clever artwork. A mea culpa was published in The Packard Cormorant, explaining how knowledgeable people had been fooled, and insuring that steps were in place to be certain that such would not happen again.

As for Turning Wheels, I will not presume to speak for the late Art Unger. My personal opinion (opinion, mind you) is that Art was too embarrassed to pursue following it up with something of that magnitude in Turning Wheels. He knew he had been fooled, so let's cut him a little posthumous slack as to having been embarrassed to the point of possible humiliation. It's happened to all of us at one time or another, and just because you or me might not have handled it that way, we shouldn't cruicify someone who did. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
                  Were the stolen wind deflectors recovered, or the perpetrators ever identified from the incident at the National Meet in Glendale a few years back?
                  Sorry Matt, don't know the answer to the question you started THIS thread to find out. IF …the vehicle owner filed a theft report with the Glendale Police Dept. (between 5/31 - 6/6, 2010) you should be able to get a copy of it and find out whether the case is still open or has been closed. Here you go: https://www.glendaleaz.com/police/ho...licereport.cfm

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Scott, I believe it has well established that Paul McKeehan indeed duped both Turning Wheels and The Packard Cormorant Editors with his imagination and less-than-clever artwork. A mea culpa was published in The Packard Cormorant, explaining how knowledgeable people had been fooled, and insuring that steps were in place to be certain that such would not happen again.

As for Turning Wheels, I will not presume to speak for the late Art Unger. My personal opinion (opinion, mind you) is that Art was too embarrassed to pursue following it up with something of that magnitude in Turning Wheels. He knew he had been fooled, so let's cut him a little posthumous slack as to having been embarrassed to the point of possible humiliation. It's happened to all of us at one time or another, and just because you or me might not have handled it that way, we shouldn't cruicify someone who did. BP
                    Well Bob, I don't know why Art would be too embarrassed. He did not create the thing; the author did. I respectfully disagree that the membership was owed nothing regarding the truth behind the sham. It felt like a double poke in the eye to me.
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I remember reading that article with disbelief that President Sherwood Egbert would have put a very young person without a technical degree in charge of a major engineering project (engineering a new Packard). I spent my career in engineering (electrical) and never saw this kind of thing done. I can't recall the name of the man who was in charge of the Avanti development project, but he was a qualified, experienced, degreed engineer. THAT is how it is done in industry. The writer of the article did not even know how industry works.
                      -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

Rich,
                        I’ve seen you make similar comments countless times to other posters on the forum. Why do you do it, and always in such a condescending manner! I can only think you are a pedant. Did it really matter if I got the nomenclature incorrect, anyone who knew of the incident would have known what I meant.

However, thank you for correcting my description. I will certainly be on my game from now on not to use the wrong or Australian name for an item. Mudguard for fender – tyre for tire – quarter vent for window vent spring to mind
                        Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia
                        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          Well Bob, I don't know why Art would be too embarrassed. He did not create the thing; the author did. I respectfully disagree that the membership was owed nothing regarding the truth behind the sham. It felt like a double poke in the eye to me.
                          Man!!, did you fellows REALLY think that 'Packard' was a real car????....I realized it was done with 'creative artwork' in about TWO SECONDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            Man!!, did you fellows REALLY think that 'Packard' was a real car????....I realized it was done with 'creative artwork' in about TWO SECONDS!!!
                            And so did I.

Comment

Curious about what the fraud prototype Packard looked like. Does anyone have an August 2002 TW and a scanner and can scan that photo and email it to me as an attachment?

Mr. FitzSmons, Packard did have one guy leading a whole division who was in charge of many projects whose education might raise some eyebrows today - that was Jesse Vincent, Packard's Engineering Vice-President. According to a book someone just gifted me, The Packard Story by Robert Turnquist, many of Packard's most famous engines were the "brainchild" of Vincent. He had apparently quit school in the 8th grade and acquired his engineering bonafides by working in machine shops and through correspondent courses. He joined Packard in 1912. He was the designer of Packard's Twin-Six and the Liberty engine for the military for WW1. After that he and his staff developed (from the book) V-eights, straight eights, V-twelves, inverted V-twelves, horizontal twelves and 24-cylinder W engines.
                              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                              Kenmore, Washington
                              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                              '69 Pontiac Firebird
                              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Working...
                              X