Brought home a 1962 GT Hawk, help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brought home a 1962 GT Hawk, help needed

My wife followed me home as I drove the Studebaker about 30 miles without any problems but later she said the right rear wheel was wobbling. The rear quarter panel was smashed behind wheel opening and I wonder if the wheel had come off at one time. The owner had said he had a tire blow that caused the damage and there is wheel with blown tire in trunk. Not sure how to check this out, the wheel on there now is not loose.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Dent 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1751376 Pretty well flattened

Name:	Dent 2.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1751377

Name:	No dent 3.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1751378Working on getting the kinks out

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1751379Not bad but going to get a lot better

Check for a bent rim and/or a bent axle.
    You state that the wheel is not loose, so I take it to mean that not only the lug nuts are tight, but that there isn't play in the wheel bearing.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Haven't raised wheel off ground yet so probably is a bearing issue, using all my play time getting that one dent on car banged out...pounding on that fender is like beating on a 1/2" steel plate, not like the recycled beer can cars being made now.

Comment

I had a 1962 GT Hawk that I bought on eBay from California that had an obvious wobble in the rear wheel when it was delivered. It turned out to be a bent rear axle. Not a huge deal to replace, but a bit of a PIA due to being a twin-traction. Jack it up and give it a spin to see what's going on back there.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Had a rear wheel wobble on my 1962-63 GT Hawk.
          It turned out to be the rear wheel hub had come loose, rear axle nut worked loose allowing the hub to wear on the axle key.
          Trip to the local salvage yard (we had them then) obtained a used hub, nut, axle, and drum. No more wobble.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
          X