X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers @ 2016 Meltdown Drags

Report here:

Cool beans. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-17-2016, 04:15 PM. Reason: corrected year from 2106 to 2016!
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob you summed it up well with your report . We missed last year but have been there since the first one . One year I asked Ted if this was like it being at the track back in the day and he said pretty much . The cars have to be period correct so it's hopefully going to stay that way . Good to see you as well . Ed

Comment

Bob, thanks for the report and also for the column in the September issue of Hemming's Classic Car. Very interesting. I agree with it entirely. The "wing and a prayer "inclusion of the 59' Lark sure brought it home to me. Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
        Bob, thanks for the report and also for the column in the September issue of Hemming's Classic Car. Very interesting. I agree with it entirely. The "wing and a prayer "inclusion of the 59' Lark sure brought it home to me. Great job!
        'Glad you enjoyed both the report and the new Hemmings column, Tony. Thank you for the feedback. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The Thursday, September 29, 2016 Hot Rod magazine daily blog included this lengthy, interesting report on The 2016 Meltdown Drags:

Note the opening paragraph, where it says the drag strip set a one-day attendance record, apparently the largest crowd since Opening Day [as Rockford Dragway] in 1964!

A couple items of Studebaker interest:

1. The red Weiand Cylinder Head Special flat-track racer #45 powered by the flathead Ford V8. That car is owned and driven by SDCer Ron Johnson of Rockford IL. Ron owns one of the nicest 1956 factory overdrive Golden Hawks on the planet, and has owned it since circa 1970.

2. The owners of The Lark Ness Monster, Mike and Lauren Lewis, won the top door prize, a new 350 Chevrolet crate engine! Here is Mike's Lark at the 2016 event. It has (I think!) a 368" Chevy engine and does some impressive wheelies:

Cool beans. BP

Comment

Working...
          X