1957 Broadmoor Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Broadmoor Script

I have one perfect "Broadmoor" emblem that could be used to reproduce these impossible to find pieces. Does anyone know where to start and would anyone else be interested in getting a pair?

Not a bad idea! Unfortunately, I've seen a few folks that own these wagons replace the 'Broadmoor' script with either 'President' or 'Studebaker'....I believe that all these scripts will interchange.

Comment

At this point I would explore scanning and printing in 3D. There are many companies that specialize in chrome plating plastics and similar materials used in 3D printers.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There have been 2 or 3 posters in the recent past who have asked for ideas to produce pieces on their 3D machines.
        This would be perfect for them.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

ME ME ME!!!! i have been looking for a pair for several years now! When I was at SI at the last SB Intl meet the guy helping we said there was a pair of NOS scripts at SASCO when the move took place and when all was said and done they were "missing" when they got to the new SI facility. I will help locate a pot metal caster.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I have been chasing a 'Provincial' name plate for a customers 1958 Wagon for 5 years. Is there anything out there?

Chris.

Comment

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I've dealt with C.A. Brown, Inc. in Cranston, RI to make some investment castings for throttle arms in silicon bronze, though they do other materials as well. See http://www.browncasting.com/.
                I gave them a 3D printed master in nylon (see http://www.shapeways.com) which C.A. Brown used to make a silicone rubber mold, then wax replicas for the casting process. The wax copies get dipped in plaster and ceramic powder, dried, and the wax melted out, then the cavity is filled with molten metal. The finished surfaces replicated those of the nylon master. The cost was tolerable to make about 50 parts, each about 2.4" long. Note that sand casting, as used in iron and aluminum foundries, can't produce surfaces as smooth, though plaster mold casting might. The original scripts were zinc die castings made in machined metal molds using pressure injection with shrinkage only about 0.6%.

While you could create a 3D CAD drawing and print out a master in plastic or wax, it's probably easier and cheaper just to send them the one part you have. Making a silicone mold from the part won't damage your original. The only problem is that the final replica parts will be smaller by the shrinkage factor of the metal, plus a little for the silicone rubber and wax replica making. If you had parts cast in brass, the total shrinkage would be about 1.5-2.0%. On a script 6" long, that might move the outer mounting pins about 1/8th inch closer together. A little work with a jeweler's file on the fender holes might be needed. Silicon bronze alloys shrink a little more. Otherwise, you would have to make the CAD file, enlarge it by 2% in all three dimensions, then print out a master and cast to have the pins in exactly the same place as the original.

If you make a CAD file, Shapeways can print it out in several types of plastic or they can laser sinter stainless steel powder and infuse it with copper. You could just polish the stainless/copper part or get it chrome plated. I did have Shapeways make a fun script for Kent White at Tinmantech using a nylon/aluminum powder mixture. It polished up pretty well to look almost like metal, but not good enough to actually use on a car. The edges were a little rougher surface and not easy to polish. Shapeways can tumble parts in corn grit or other media to polish parts but it tends to round off sharp edges and corners a little. The Shapeways web site says they can also print a wax part, investment cast it in brass, and polish it for you, but the maximum length of a brass part made that way is only about 4". The stainless/copper parts can be much larger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carb_arms_castings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1707914Click image for larger version

Name:	carb_arms_082014_1.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1707915Click image for larger version

Name:	carrosserie_kent_white_1.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1707916Click image for larger version

Name:	script_detail.jpg
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1707917
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I noticed the reproduction scripts for the 1953 grill bars include enough shrinkage that a couple of the holes in the grill bars need to be "stretched".
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                    I have been chasing a 'Provincial' name plate for a customers 1958 Wagon for 5 years. Is there anything out there?Chris.
                    You MIGHT be interested in this then:

It's a great deal and will be a nice one for someone!
                    I also have a pair of NOS Provincial emblems that could go with the car if someone on the forum buys it.

James The Bell Collection Bellingham, WA.

That is from Post #17 on this string:
                    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...33#post1002233

StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I will put some on Ebay in the next month.
                      I will trade a Broadmoor for a 1957 Pinehurst (not1956).
                      Robert Kapteyn
                      studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                        I will put some on Ebay in the next month.
                        I will trade a Broadmoor for a 1957 Pinehurst (not 1956).
                        There was no Pinehurst in '57.
                        That was a one year car- only in '56.
                        The other '56s were Pelham and Parkview.

The '57 wagons were Pelham, Parkview, Provincial, and Broadmoor.
                        And Scotsman, but it had no script besides 'Studebaker'.

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If casting companies are as sophisticated as plastic molders all you should need is a CAD file - preferably made from the engineering drawings and they ought to be able to make all the adjustments to the file to account for shrinkage. If you provide me the engineering drawing I ought to be able to output the STL or other CAD 3D file you need.
                          A real, original part should be provided as a reference tool.
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I wonder if the Stud. museum has the drawing for these scripts?
                            Dan White
                            64 R1 GT
                            64 R2 GT
                            58 C Cab
                            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                              There was no Pinehurst in '57.
                              That was a one year car- only in '56.
                              The other '56s were Pelham and Parkview.

StudeDave '57
                              Senior moment
                              I need one 1957 Parkview script N.O.S.
                              I have a N.O.S. Broadmoor to trade.
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X