PDA

View Full Version : 1932 St Regis Broughm on E-Bay

that guy
07-16-2016, 01:00 PM
I had the only bid on the 1932 Studebaker St Regis Broughm from Michigan on E-Bay. Due to sellers remorse or disappointment that it did not sell for more money the seller backed out. He said the pictures were over a year old and he hadn't seen the car since he put in the trailer, he said it was very rusted and he didn't know how much of it was there. He was more than a little upset that over 230 watchers and only one bid. I'm sure this car will show up again but for now it remains in Michigan. Caveat Emptor What a big disappointment.

jclary
07-16-2016, 01:13 PM
So...You are "THAT GUY!";) Welcome to the forum!:!: Just curious, but are you new to the forum, but not Studebaker? Do you have other Studebaker vehicles? Sorry the guy backed out on the deal. I don't know how that works, or what recourse you have. But, in some ways, it might just be fortunate you did not get it. Seems like, just a few days ago, there were two of them available. Even if you picked up both, there were still lots of parts missing. So much, that even having enough to build a rod would have been difficult.

Keep looking, some pretty interesting stuff keeps popping up.:)

sweetolbob
07-16-2016, 02:21 PM
I had the only bid on the 1932 Studebaker St Regis Broughm from Michigan on E-Bay. Due to sellers remorse or disappointment that it did not sell for more money the seller backed out. He said the pictures were over a year old and he hadn't seen the car since he put in the trailer, he said it was very rusted and he didn't know how much of it was there. He was more than a little upset that over 230 watchers and only one bid. I'm sure this car will show up again but for now it remains in Michigan. Caveat Emptor What a big disappointment.

I came close to bidding but just couldn't justify it. I'm about 1 1/2 hrs north if the car is in Inkster. If you can work out something with the seller, I'll volunteer to go look/take pictures if you need a set of eyes locally. Not surprised at the # of watchers as I'll bet they were split between the curious and the ones hoping to get it cheaper if no one bid.

As far as the seller backing out, IIWM instead of getting Ebay involved as in reality they can't/won't really do anything, I'd stay in touch, let him know you are interested and plan to put in on the road in all it's glory.

Bob

Chris Pile
07-16-2016, 04:22 PM
St. Regis models are cool cars (the long doors). I hope the owner lets someone buy it and save it.

that guy
07-16-2016, 08:33 PM
I came close to bidding but just couldn't justify it. I'm about 1 1/2 hrs north if the car is in Inkster. If you can work out something with the seller, I'll volunteer to go look/take pictures if you need a set of eyes locally. Not surprised at the # of watchers as I'll bet they were split between the curious and the ones hoping to get it cheaper if no one bid.

As far as the seller backing out, IIWM instead of getting Ebay involved as in reality they can't/won't really do anything, I'd stay in touch, let him know you are interested and plan to put in on the road in all it's glory.

Bob
Thanks for the offer Bob but he was pretty adamant about NOT coming to see it, I tried before bidding was over and again after bidding had ended. Some one from Wisconsin made him a better offer. By the way what is IIWM? I'm kind of new to this and don't know all the lingo. Thanks again for the offer!

sweetolbob
07-16-2016, 09:07 PM
IIWM, If It Were Me. Does that mean he sold it to the guy from Wisconsin? Sorry you missed out, it would be a unique ride. IAC, In Any Case, stick around you may find something else here. Welcome :!:

Best, Bob

that guy
07-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I am new to the forum so it might take a bit to figure things out, I have owned a Studebaker since about 2005 or so. I thought it would be cool to get another one, I have met some super nice people along the way and that's what makes the hunt for parts so much fun! Maybe some day I will get a shot at another one.I wonder how many are actually out there? I can think of about maybe 8 or 10 1932 St Regis Broughms
So...You are "THAT GUY!";) Welcome to the forum!:!: Just curious, but are you new to the forum, but not Studebaker? Do you have other Studebaker vehicles? Sorry the guy backed out on the deal. I don't know how that works, or what recourse you have. But, in some ways, it might just be fortunate you did not get it. Seems like, just a few days ago, there were two of them available. Even if you picked up both, there were still lots of parts missing. So much, that even having enough to build a rod would have been difficult.

Keep looking, some pretty interesting stuff keeps popping up.:)

Hallabutt
07-17-2016, 02:05 PM
A couple of useless bits of information that I have picked up along the way. In the 70's I chased the former Phil Hill owned President SRB, as it changed hands several times. I was always close, case of a day late and a dollar short. I believe that the car is in Don Armacost's collection today. It may be the best of it's kind, certainly the most valuable! At that time there was reported to be three Presidents, what the count might be today is anyone's guess. Maybe friend Dick Quinn has more updated information. There may be more survivors then most people might believe. People seemed inclined to save the bodies, and dispose of the chassis'. No doubt that WWII scrap drives took it's toll. Not unlike the oval headlights that were saved because they were considered special, so too the SRB bodies have seemed to have survived because of their uniqueness. While on an ASC tour in Montana, we visited a gentleman's collection who had three bodies that had lost their chassis. There is another one in Spokane that was dug out of an old dump sight in Idaho, and a complete and driven Model 73, I believe, in Harrington Wa. My point is that while we see few completed cars many more bodies have survived.

The cars were produced in both 1932 and 1933. The bodies were unchanged throughout the two years. This is where I might get into trouble, I know that the smaller chassis (Dictator) used a different body then the larger cars. I can's remember whether the larger cars shared the same body. There may in fact have been three unique bodies depending on the chassis used. I'm sure that Dick or Rex will be around to correct some of this!

This body style was also shared with the 1932 Pierce Arrow Model 54, and the 1933 PA 836/1236 (Club Brougham). While the style is obviously the same I have it on good authority that the stampings were different. Many of the Pierce Arrows have survived, and have been restored, so if you want to treat yourself to some beautiful examples of this body style, just do the search.

that guy
07-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Thank You for sharing the information!As I think about the St Regis a friend told me once that he thought there were less than 1,700 of these cars made so that would tell me not every dealer had one to sell, and like you said WWII scrap drives and accidents and life in general and Hot Rodders took a bunch also.
A couple of useless bits of information that I have picked up along the way. In the 70's I chased the former Phil Hill owned President SRB, as it changed hands several times. I was always close, case of a day late and a dollar short. I believe that the car is in Don Armacost's collection today. It may be the best of it's kind, certainly the most valuable! At that time there was reported to be three Presidents, what the count might be today is anyone's guess. Maybe friend Dick Quinn has more updated information. There may be more survivors then most people might believe. People seemed inclined to save the bodies, and dispose of the chassis'. No doubt that WWII scrap drives took it's toll. Not unlike the oval headlights that were saved because they were considered special, so too the SRB bodies have seemed to have survived because of their uniqueness. While on an ASC tour in Montana, we visited a gentleman's collection who had three bodies that had lost their chassis. There is another one in Spokane that was dug out of an old dump sight in Idaho, and a complete and driven Model 73, I believe, in Harrington Wa. My point is that while we see few completed cars many more bodies have survived.

The cars were produced in both 1932 and 1933. The bodies were unchanged throughout the two years. This is where I might get into trouble, I know that the smaller chassis (Dictator) used a different body then the larger cars. I can's remember whether the larger cars shared the same body. There may in fact have been three unique bodies depending on the chassis used. I'm sure that Dick or Rex will be around to correct some of this!

This body style was also shared with the 1932 Pierce Arrow Model 54, and the 1933 PA 836/1236 (Club Brougham). While the style is obviously the same I have it on good authority that the stampings were different. Many of the Pierce Arrows have survived, and have been restored, so if you want to treat yourself to some beautiful examples of this body style, just do the search.

that guy
07-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Now I am getting messages from the guy in Michigan with the St Regis to back out of the deal so he doesn't get charged from Ebay, But now I am wondering if he even had a car? I tried get him to tell me what he actually wanted for the car thinking we might still be able to make a deal and no response. So I guess he made the deal with the guy from Wisconsin or he still has it, in any event BEWARE of somebody selling a St Regis Broughm that won't let you see it.

53commander
07-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Sorry you got beat on that deal. Welcome to the forum, the more members from Jersey the better :!:

tstoj38
07-20-2016, 07:28 PM
This car is listed on Detroit CL.

sweetolbob
07-20-2016, 07:53 PM
This car is listed on Detroit CL.

The listing is 13 days old, if I read it correctly.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5672708957.html

DEEPNHOCK
07-21-2016, 06:52 AM
That is against Ebay rules.
It also smells of a scammer.
Tread lightly, and be careful.

Now I am getting messages from the guy in Michigan with the St Regis to back out of the deal so he doesn't get charged from Ebay, But now I am wondering if he even had a car? I tried get him to tell me what he actually wanted for the car thinking we might still be able to make a deal and no response. So I guess he made the deal with the guy from Wisconsin or he still has it, in any event BEWARE of somebody selling a St Regis Broughm that won't let you see it.

jclary
07-21-2016, 07:26 AM
That is against Ebay rules.
It also smells of a scammer.
Tread lightly, and be careful.

Wise advice here. Especially, these days, and especially if a handful of cash could be involved when meeting face to face to either buy or examine items for sale. An incident that took place out in the country, a few years ago, still troubles me. In a rural area, only ten miles north of me, a wonderful gentleman lost his life attempting to sell his GM Suburban. This man was a rather wealthy, well respected retired businessman, who, in retirement, had devoted his time, and money to volunteering in many charitable community causes. It is my understanding that he was going to sell his late model Suburban on Craigslist and donate the money. A very trusting individual, he had agreed to meet a potential buyer at a particular intersection.

That evening, the Suburban and the owner were reported missing. I can't recall if it was days or weeks later, but the man's bound body was discovered inside a freezer in a rented storage unit somewhere in Tennessee. The creepy man and woman, who murdered him, were apprehended with his stolen vehicle. In addition to this horror story, I recall the idiot serial killer, in one of the upper mid-west states, who was running ads on craigslist, promising farm work. For those poor victims, he was taking them out and hunting them down for sport. Even if the odds are low that you encounter such evil creeps...the deadly consequences justify being suspicious and cautious.

rkapteyn
07-21-2016, 07:32 AM
I have an 1932 Model 55 engine short block , transmission and a complete front axle with brake drums and springs and steering box with steering wheel for sale cheap.

Robert Kapteyn
studebaker@mac.com
815 212 2389
Joliet Illinois

that guy
07-22-2016, 05:08 PM
It is on the Studebaker Addicts International Face Book page now and I am not on it to warn them about this person, I wish them luck?
The listing is 13 days old, if I read it correctly.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5672708957.html

rkapteyn
07-23-2016, 09:02 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Studebaker-St-Regis-/331903772220?nma=true&si=sHGuHcmZ1Lu75nzj90j8tyMqsEc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This car sold for $1900.00

that guy
07-23-2016, 07:52 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Studebaker-St-Regis-/331903772220?nma=true&si=sHGuHcmZ1Lu75nzj90j8tyMqsEc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This car sold for $1900.00
Yes I was the winning bid but the guy would not let me see the car or anything and he would not tell me how much he wanted for the car

that guy
06-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Yes I was the winning bid but the guy would not let me see the car or anything and he would not tell me how much he wanted for the car
He's back! I had the winning bid the last time this guy put this car on E-Bay. He backed out saying he had a better offer elsewhere and basically told me where to go and what to when I got there, never gave me the chance to make a counter offer of which if he had done his math would have been a little more than he is asking now. If anyone is interested in this car keep an eye on this guy, Well I know Studebaker folks are pretty sharp and can most times see a Flim-Flam coming a mile way so there you go I Hope This Message Finds You All Well, Thanks For Your Time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-Studebaker-St-Regis-/332284907142?hash=item4d5db94e86:g:9boAAOSwXetZU6uW&vxp=mtr#viTabs_0

r1lark
06-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Are those the same pics as last year's eBay ad?

that guy
06-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Are those the same pics as last year's eBay ad?
yup, mostly same pictures, a couple of others that I did not see before. but it was about this same time last year.

that guy
06-28-2017, 08:04 PM
It's been one year and a week since this car was on E-Bay Same pictures same guy selling it. BEWARE!

that guy
06-28-2017, 09:33 PM
It's been one year and a week since this car was on E-Bay Same pictures same guy selling it. BEWARE!
He is on Detroit Craigslist again also! https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/6156509891.html

Mrs K Corbin
06-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Didn't someone post recently about finding a frame and wheels, etc. in the woods?
There's a frame for someone if it works.....

Maybe Johnny Cash a few parts together! lol

that guy
07-21-2017, 08:12 PM
I wonder if this car will show up yet again? It was almost a year to the day when I had the winning bid on it and listed with all the same photos

that guy
08-13-2017, 09:30 PM
This car is BACK! yet again I see a post that Richard Bloomquist had the winning bid this time around, Unfortunately the word is Mr Bloomquist has passed on. So his son is trying to complete the deal, I don't think it is going to end well, I am sorry for your loss Mr Bloomquist, and sorry you got tangled up with the guy from Inkster Michigan. Good Luck

that guy
09-02-2017, 08:16 PM
I see this car sold for the third time in 13 months and its still located in Inkster Michigan I wonder how the new owner will make out? I wish them Good Luck and Much Success with it. If it is some one on this forum I hope they will share their story about it with us.

jclary
09-02-2017, 08:52 PM
I see this car sold for the third time in 13 months and its still located in Inkster Michigan I wonder how the new owner will make out? I wish them Good Luck and Much Success with it. If it is some one on this forum I hope they will share their story about it with us.

Some of our members are also members of the AACA, and Antique Studebaker Club. Hopefully, someone will come by and 'splane it. Chances of this vehicle being lost to the ages is high in the best of circumstances. I hope this one lands on its wheels, with the attention it deserves.

that guy
09-03-2017, 08:11 PM
Some of our members are also members of the AACA, and Antique Studebaker Club. Hopefully, someone will come by and 'splane it. Chances of this vehicle being lost to the ages is high in the best of circumstances. I hope this one lands on its wheels, with the attention it deserves.
I found a thing on Facebook about Mr Cord Bloomquists ordeal `with this car I don't think he or the people on that site have seen this forum I think it may still be available in Inkster Michigan I am seriously thinking that there is no car, it's just some weird game the guy from Michigan is playing on people. Some one on that Facebook page said they knew the guy and didn't say he was a good guy.

Hawklover
09-04-2017, 08:13 PM
All the more reason every American should be packing "heat"...also love the signs all over the Houston area......"You loot we shoot"...just like the riots of the 1960's.

Wise advice here. Especially, these days, and especially if a handful of cash could be involved when meeting face to face to either buy or examine items for sale. An incident that took place out in the country, a few years ago, still troubles me. In a rural area, only ten miles north of me, a wonderful gentleman lost his life attempting to sell his GM Suburban. This man was a rather wealthy, well respected retired businessman, who, in retirement, had devoted his time, and money to volunteering in many charitable community causes. It is my understanding that he was going to sell his late model Suburban on Craigslist and donate the money. A very trusting individual, he had agreed to meet a potential buyer at a particular intersection.

That evening, the Suburban and the owner were reported missing. I can't recall if it was days or weeks later, but the man's bound body was discovered inside a freezer in a rented storage unit somewhere in Tennessee. The creepy man and woman, who murdered him, were apprehended with his stolen vehicle. In addition to this horror story, I recall the idiot serial killer, in one of the upper mid-west states, who was running ads on craigslist, promising farm work. For those poor victims, he was taking them out and hunting them down for sport. Even if the odds are low that you encounter such evil creeps...the deadly consequences justify being suspicious and cautious.