Crank Pulley Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Pulley Install

What do you guys use to install the pulley hub to the crankshaft? How tight is the fit? 289 Stude motor.-Jim

They make a special tool.The tool and a toaster oven to heat it up made it pretty easy.

Comment

Yep, a damper installer. You need to verify that the particular tool you buy has the correct threaded insert for the crankshaft. Some do...some don't.
      Like mine...it didn't have the correct insert, I had to make my own. I used a diesel truck wheel stud. The machine shop that modified it hated it...too hard..! But they got it done.

Mike

Comment

Some 1 1/2" -2" Dia. spacers, a huge flat washer and the Crank Bolt, a longer one for Power Steering Cars works best, and just "Push" it on there, they are not all that hard of a interference fit.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, Rich gave me the answer I was hoping for. I'm not going to pull it off completely, just far enough to put the longer pulley bolts in for the p/s pulley. How long is the p/s crank bolt? -Jim

Comment

The 537522 is 3" the 515111 is 2 1/16" from Pg.169 S.I. Catalog, if you look them up in the Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog you can tell which fits what model, year and equipment.
            I am pretty sure those are the longer ones.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Chuck Collins has one that sells for $59.00 Check out the bottom of this page. https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.html
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Phil Harris does a crank pulley installation tool for $49 that is just magic.

Comment

Working...
                X