Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 Lark Bumper interchange

Good evening everyone,
    I'm trying to get my (new to me) '59 Lark back on the road after 40+ years.
    Do the bumpers from a 1963 Lark interchange with an early 1959 Model? I have local access to the 1963 ones.
    Thanks in advance as I know you know.
    Cheers,
    Bill

I use a 62 on the front and the sculptured center looks like it was made for it but I'm not sure if the 63 differs. No idea about the rear.

Len

Comment

I just went through this myself a couple months back. 59-60 use the same bumpers. Rear is different from the front in that it has no holes to mount a license plate. Otherwise the same. 63 bumpers wrap around much more than 59-60.

Comment

You will find bolt hole issues. The 63 bumpers are pretty similar to the '59 except for the notch that was added in '60 to allow more air to the grill, and bolt holes. Bumpers were wrapped around fenders in '64, extensions were added in 62-3 to give a similar look.

Comment

Even if you get them to fit, they will not appear to be correct.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks guys. II'm having trouble locating ones locally.(British Columbia). I may have to use the '63's until proper ones surface. Unfortunately grandma tore these ones up.
            Yesterday was "startup" day after sitting for 40 years. A little rough at first, now purrs like the proverbial kitten. We are real pleased.
            Cheers, Bill

Comment

Hi, here is a post I made to this same type of question.
              I describe the differences between Lark bumpers.
              It also includes some photos.

FYI: All Lark bumpers will fit all years, but there are differences.

Enjoy...
              Stude Preferred

Comment

Stude-Preferred,
                Thanks for all the effort you put into your response. Just to be clear, as I have '63 units available(3 holes) would I use the '63 mounting brackets as well? Thanks for the pics showing the differences.
                Cheers, Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                  Stude-Preferred,
                  Thanks for all the effort you put into your response. Just to be clear, as I have '63 units available(3 holes) would I use the '63 mounting brackets as well? Thanks for the pics showing the differences.
                  Chances are the earlier bumper brackets would probably work. By the looks of thing, Studebaker added another bolt hole just out board of the two original holes from the earlier bumpers. Even with nothing behind that hole, you could simply put in a bumper bolt just to cover things up...

Comment

Buzzard, I asked the same questions answered in the earlier post. I have 63 bumpers on my 60 lark. As 62 champ states above, the 63 bumpers will fit fine on a 59 lark. Just cover the open holes with dummy bolts. I much prefer the look of the 59-60 bumpers, though. I'm getting a pair rechromed and taking off my 63's.

Comment

abkco
                      I too prefer the early style but the old gal who had this car tore them up pretty well. So I'll have the '63's on a temporary basis until I can find some originals in re-plateable condition.
                      Thanks for the clarity.
                      Cheers, Bill

Comment

OK you guys were absolutely correct. The '63 bumpers fit the '59 Lark. However, as the '63 (rear) has the provision for a licence plate and two bumperettes which have the licence plate lamps, I feel it doesn't look quite right and you end up with six holes to fill with small bumper bolts. So this will be temporary until I can find the originals. Thanks for all your help.
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Stude-Preferred,
                          Cheers, Bill
                          Hi, Just saw your question. When I bought my 60 Lark, it had a 64 3 hole bumper installed. I just added an extra set of nuts & bolts to cover the holes. Worked fine.
                          So you don't have to add the 3 hole bracket.

One thing I never discussed, the length of the bumper brackets. When the 64 Models came out, they were longer, but the frame length stayed the same. So the bumper brackets grew in length, to extend the bumper out to fit.

The '63 brackets might be longer than 59-60 version. So you can experiment to see if they fit. I will say when mounting a bumper with 3 holes, the bumpers appear to be sturdier. Or at least the wrap-around sides seem to be. I did this analysis when comparing the '64 bumper on my '60 Lark, to my Grandmother's factory installed 64 Daytona bumper.

The test was a fist pound to the wrap-around section. The 2 hole version vibrated more.

Keeping Studebaker's alive.....
                          Stude-Preferred
                          Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 08-01-2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Yes, the Chassis Parts Catalog shows different Part Numbers for almost EVERY year of Lark Bumper Brackets.

Recall that the Grille Panel grew in DEPTH from '60 to '61 and '61 to '62-'63 and again in '64 when the Length increased and the Grille Panel was gone and the Hood lengthened, all the time the Frame did not move, the Bumper BRACKETS did.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	59 Seamist Grn HT1.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1708104 Click image for larger version

Name:	Regal 6 OD 2 Door Gold1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1708105 These are clickable TWICE, for a better view.

I find that Pics from your computer save the Web Space we Pay for, because they display Med. size and only enlarge when needed. As opposed to Photo Bucket Pics that are way too small to see on their Website, will not enlarge, BUT if you Post them here they are often TOO Large, bigger than your Monitor display.

We could also save Space and Money if those who always insist on re-posting the COMPLETE original post when replying, instead of deleting the unneeded portion of text AND Photos would stop that unnecessary habit.

Including NOT re-posting their sometimes HUGE Signature on EVERY Post on the same string, we already know who you are the first time!
                            At the bottom of your post there is a checked "show your Signature box", you can unclick it for that post only & it will not display.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 08-01-2016, 03:46 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich;1004578[COLOR=#b22222
                              We could also save Space and Money if those who always insist on re-posting the COMPLETE original post when replying, instead of deleting the unneeded portion of text AND Photos would stop that unnecessary habit.

Including NOT re-posting their sometimes HUGE Signature on EVERY Post on the same string, we already know who you are the first time!
                              At the bottom of your post there is a checked "show your Signature box", you can unclick it for that post only & it will not display. [/COLOR]
                              I completely agree. I think that these excellent suggestions will get lost in this bumper post. Perhaps you or a moderator could format the information into a separate post to become a sticky.
                              How many times do we need to see the giant picture of Bob's grandson or the large pictures of the fleet from NC?
                              I try to only use the quote of the pertinent material, as I have done with your quote above.

Edit: I see that you have started another post on this - Thanks!
                              Now we just need the information to be made into a sticky so that it remains.
                              Last edited by studegary; 08-01-2016, 04:37 PM.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X