Insuring a Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insuring a Studebaker

Perhaps this question has been asked previously but what insurance company do you recomend for your classic Studebakers? I have looked at several insurers but Hagerty seems to be offering a great deal. $100,000 liability, no deductible for collision or comprehensive.
    a $5000 valuation on the car. What has your experiences been with classic and collector car insurance companys. Any recomendations for companys. Good or bad.

I like Hagerty that's who I'm insured with. They don't have restrictions on where you drive your car nor on the amount of mileage you put on it in a year.

Comment

Hagarty has a good reputation, and has loosened some restrictions, such as using a truck to carry stuff in. I use them
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
        I like Hagerty that's who I'm insured with. They don't have restrictions on where you drive your car nor on the amount of mileage you put on it in a year.
        Are you saying they allow you to drive your Stude to commute and from work and/or school? How about running errands, such as going to the grocery store?

Comment

Yes and No on commute to work, errands etc. Technically there are "expectations" mileage under 5-10K year, no more than 30? days a year drive to work etc. They also base things on you having a primary vehicle as well. Hagerty does not require mileage tracking etc, honor system really. They want to encourage people who use their insurance to drive the vehicles. I have never had a claim but hear nothing but good things from people who did. The customer service people are first rate.
          Scott K

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
            This is news to me. I've been with Hagerty for nearly 20 years and I've never seen anything printed in the policy that says there are no restrictions on where you drive it or how much you drive it. Actually, last time I read through the policy it was specific about not driving it anywhere besides a car show, etc.
            I guess I had better read my newer policy more carefully, or call them to ask!
            I never had to file a claim with them in all these years so I can't speak to their claim handling procedures,
            I did call them once about 15 years ago to ask if I could drive the car to work one day since I was taking it to a repair shop that was just blocks away from where I worked at the time. The rep I spoke to at the time nearly had a coronary when I asked about it; put me on hold to talk with his boss, etc. He finally came back on and said ok, but it had to be kept in a locked and secured area the entire time it was there.

Comment

In Canada, Hagerty apparently does not require an appraisal. However their premiums seem to somewhat higher than does who do.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Blue 15G View Post
                This is news to me. I've been with Hagerty for nearly 20 years and I've never seen anything printed in the policy that says there are no restrictions on where you drive it or how much you drive it. Actually, last time I read through the policy it was specific about not driving it anywhere besides a car show, etc.
                I guess I had better read my newer policy more carefully, or call them to ask!
                I never had to file a claim with them in all these years so I can't speak to their claim handling procedures,
                I did call them once about 15 years ago to ask if I could drive the car to work one day since I was taking it to a repair shop that was just blocks away from where I worked at the time. The rep I spoke to at the time nearly had a coronary when I asked about it; put me on hold to talk with his boss, etc. He finally came back on and said ok, but it had to be kept in a locked and secured area the entire time it was there.
                Reading on-line, that's how all the classic car insurances work, kinda hand-in-hand with, "historic" license plates, available in some states. The classic insurance and plates are cheap, but only a good idea if you plan to operate within the severe restrictions, which specifically state no commuting to work or school no errand running, etc..

They pay well on claims, but the only claims I have ever heard of were for fire, flood, fell off a trailer, etc.. I have never heard of anyone filing a claim that their classic was keyed in a Walmart parking lot, vandalized in the lot at work or school, in an accident going to/from work or school, or any other scenario where the vehicle was being used outside the policy restrictions.

In Kentucky, if you are caught driving your historic plated car to work or school, you can expect to be cited, probably sooner than later.

Comment

We still have in the family a '79 Dodge pickup in good condition with 50,000 miles on it. It only goes about 400 miles a year now. It has a regular PA license plate on it, and it gets its annual state inspection. Last time I had it at the shop a worker asked me why I don't just get an antique plate for it? It qualified in PA after 25 years of age, and that would exempt it from annual state inspection. The problem with that is, if I went with the antique plate it would prevent me from using it as a regular pickup truck to haul things like dirt, mulch, etc., which is what I use it for (admittedly not too often). Unfortunately, I know some people get an antique plate and then try to use the vehicle on a regular basis. They are in for a rude awakening. And this upsets me because when enough people abuse the privilege of the antique plate, it will mean more restrictions, etc. for all of us legitimate antique vehicle drivers.

Comment

I have used Heacock to insure our cars for many years and very happy with them.
                    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      In Kentucky, if you are caught driving your historic plated car to work or school, you can expect to be cited, probably sooner than later.
                      Same here in Michigan. There have been a couple of examples locally where owners have been cited.

Just as an aside, If you have a blanket policy, be sure your insurance limits meet up with the limits required by the blanket policy or you could be liable for the gap.

I have Condon and Skelly through my insurance rep so that everything matches up on the coverage. I got jiggy last year to look at the costs and coverage of other carriers and none of the big time folks came close to the price I have on my classic cars. Hagerty and most of the others were at least 50% higher than the current policy. Not sure why but I'm not changing.

Bob

Comment

I have my 59' Lark with the Hartford along with my other cars, Hyundai and Chevy 1500. They based the Lark's value at $8, 500.00 and there are no driving restrictions. The Lark is certainly no show car but it is road worthy and falls into the NADA classic car values as "Average". It costs me about $450.00 a year. I believe, in my experience, that classic car insurance outfits charge more while offering less. (restrictions) Adding the car to your present auto policy will actually reduce your cost. Insist they use the NADA classic car values guide. The Haggerty guide doesn't even have my 59' Lark Hardtop Regal listed in their value search. That tells me all I want to know.

Comment

I have got my truck insured with grundy for $35,000 and it cost $235.00 a year. We were out driving it one night and the windshield got broke I call then to see what they need so I could get it fixed. They said just have it fixed and fax them the bills and they would pay. I ask them if they wanted pictures and they said no. We got the money in two days.

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            That sucks. In CT there are no restrictions on driving a historic plate car, plus they are assessed at $500 for tax purposes regardless of actual value.
                            Chip
                            '63 Cruiser
                            '57 Packard wagon
                            '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                              That sucks. In CT there are no restrictions on driving a historic plate car, plus they are assessed at $500 for tax purposes regardless of actual value.
                              Looks like you are lucky to be living in CT! I see CT just authorized their, "Classic Vehicle" plates in 2014. Hopefully, they won't wise up in a few years, and realize they are not making enough money. Below is what most of the rest of use have:

Comment

Working...
                              X