Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will an early 259 crank fit in a 224 block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Will an early 259 crank fit in a 224 block?

I have a customer that needs his 224 engine rebuilt. I am unable to find oversized pistons for the 224. I have found an early 259 crank and pistons that are oversized accordingly. Will the "early" 259 crank fit the 224 block? Are the rods the same? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yes this is done quite often, the Blocks, Rods, Heads all the same and interchangeable. Of course boring the Block is usually done due to the difference in the New Stroke vs the old.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stroke doesn't change the bore, so do I need to clearance the block for the added stroke?

Comment

Are you talking about cutting the bottom of the cylinders to clear the Crank throws? As I said all 224, 259, 289 and even 304 Blocks are basically the same so I have no idea what you are thinking.

I was talking about the wear patterns in the Cylinders on a Used Block due to the short stroke, will not work with the longer stroke unless bored or seriously honed depending on condition.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

OK. Yes I definitely need to bore this. It is standard bore size with .008" taper on the cylinder walls. I could not find an oversized piston for the 224. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by 51 Stude View Post
            OK. Yes I definitely need to bore this. It is standard bore size with .008" taper on the cylinder walls. I could not find an oversized piston for the 224. Thanks for the info.
            When push comes to shove, .008 taper is not the end of the world. This is especially in view of the consideration of the kind of use that engine will see.

Comment

Yes but when the customer wants "no smoking" from the engine I need to have an alternative. This is good because he wanted more power anyways.

Comment

Working...
              X