PCV valve help 1964 R2 GT - pix needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCV valve help 1964 R2 GT - pix needed

Does anyone have or can take a clear photo of the hardware and piping of the PCV valve system, mine was trashed before the purchase and I have nothing to reference.

Thanks in advance.....
    It is an addiction!

I have 3 1963 259 engines and they are all configured differently, one is draft tube only, one has a PCV system that has the appearance of after market. The valley cover has a fem.ale threaded nipple welded on it that a check ball (pc valve)is threaded in to it. The check ball is the PCV that vents in to the base of the carb. One of the other engines has a cap bolted through the valley cover with a tube off it that is directed in to the base of the carb there is no PCV nor is there any place for one. With this assembly, the cover can be removed and a draft tube can be installed. On the engine with the PCV there is no option for a draft tube, except if the valley cover is changed out. I myself am pro draft tube FWIW. I have seen breather caps vented directly in to the exhaust with no crankcase exhaust going back into the engine. With the draft tube system your engine is not breathing in crankcase exhaust. Directly into the exhaust is probably the best system but unconventional. If you have the threaded nipple in the valley cover, the PCV will simply thread in to it with a rubber hose to the base of the carb. California and some other states had different rules about PCV. There is a mixture of stationary, slow moving, military, municipal, and trucks with varying PCV systems, some factory and some after market. They all can be converted to a draft tube or to a PVC system. Some systems breath filtered air (breather cap connected to the air cleaner) and some don't. You can configure your engine any way you want as there are many available configurations. If you want factory original it may require some research as to what state and application it was intended for.

Comment

None of Post Number 2 applies to a R1 or R2 Engine.

The 1964 Model Standard 259 & 289's had the Lifter cover mentioned in Post # 2 with a threaded fitting welded to it to screw in a PCV Valve, if you have '64 just make sure this type of Valve has Flow TO the Carb.

The only other Factory PCV system for these engines was the New York and Calif. required 1961 to '63 type with the PCV Valve in line in the Hose from an adapter under the rear Lifter Cover Screw using a Vented, open, breather type Oil Cap or Caps.

Getting to the R2 (also Jet Thrust & R1) question, there should be/was a Nipple screwed into the center, lower rear of the AFB Carb. that had a Ball Check inside, the hose ran to the small fitting on the rather large Tube from the Right side of the Oil Pan.

The Large Fitting on that Pipe goes directly to the Right side of the Air Cleaner.
      This system includes BOTH the Upper & Lower (Low & High Speed) systems required on all Vehicles sold in calendar year 1964 anywhere in the U.S.

The old Draft Tubes do not remove moisture from the engine and other crankcase contaminants, Fuel and Oil Vapor etc. as well as a PCV System.

An exhaust siphon PCV type system must have a Bung welded into the Exhaust Head Pipes and would be overkill for a Stude. and never approved for Auto Factory use.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-06-2016, 12:16 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

None of Post Number 2 applies to a R1 or R2 Engine.

Getting to the R2 (also Jet Thrust & R1) question, there should be/was a Nipple screwed into the center, lower rear of the AFB Carb. that had a Ball Check inside, the hose ran to the small fitting on the rather large Tube from the Right side of the Oil Pan.

The Large Fitting on that Pipe goes directly to the Right side of the Air Cleaner.
        This system includes BOTH the Upper & Lower (Low & High Speed) systems required on all Vehicles sold in calendar year 1964 anywhere in the U.S.
        Exactly as Rich says! The PVC valve screws into the base of your carburetor (available at SI) connects to the small outlet on the breather tube coming off the side of the oil pan with a oil resistant rubber tubing. It can't get easier than that.

No picture necessary.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

My '63 R2's PCV system is close to original, I will try to take some pics if you don't find what you need from others. Pretty hard to photograph though, much of it is obscured by other "stuff". Here is a pic of an original R series PCV valve disassembled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3030052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1707775

Comment

Working...
          X