PDA

View Full Version : Weather/Road conditions advice

Sdude
07-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Last year I drove my Studebaker from California to the Intl meet in St Louis and back, driving through 13 states in the process. For those that don't know, I wrote stories about the trip in the November 2015 and the April 2016 issues of Turning Wheels. I would like to continue my adventure next year, driving my car to the South Bend meet.

I know that weather conditions are unpredictable but I would like to hear from members that live along the travel path I am considering taking. The Intl meet is from May 3 - 6th So I will be traveling around the end of April to May 3rd. Please let me know if you are familiar with the roadways and what I might expect during this time of year. I'm interested in knowing if the roads I am considering are good roads and what are the chances I will encounter snow, hail, tornados, or anything else that I am not interested in exposing my car to. Rain I can handle.

I plan to take Interstate 80 through Nevada and take Hwy 93 up to Twin Falls Idaho. From there I plan to take 15 and 20 to Yellowstone and then 212 to Billings Montana. I would like to take Interstate 94 into North Dakota and then head south on Hwy 85 to South Dakota and Mount Rushmore and Rapid City. I would then take Interstate 90 from there through Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and in to South Bend.

I appreciate any thoughts about this trip as I am unfamiliar with these areas of the country.

Lou Van Anne
07-03-2016, 10:53 PM
I made about the same trip, but in reverse, after the Dover Meet....a pleasant drive....but it wasn't in a Studebaker.

Lou Van Anne
07-03-2016, 10:57 PM
Oh ya, Hwy 90 passes about 20 miles north of my families Studebaker dealership in Iowa....beautiful country in June, for sure!...soooo green.

COMMANDERPINK1
07-03-2016, 11:28 PM
I believe the most questionable weather conditions will be on your end of the traveling when you get started!!! It may be rain, snow or even pleasant weather here in the Midwest that time of year. old and o warm, its mostly a crap shoot but road usually clear quickly if its snows.

5brown1
07-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Interstate 90 through South Dakota is good and the speed limit most of the way is 80 MPH. It should be a good time of year weather wise. You will enjoy the Black Hills.

8E45E
07-04-2016, 06:55 AM
In 2010, I attended the International Meet in Glendale, which was held in early June. The week previous, I attended the ATHS International Meet held in Pleasanton, California, which would have been the last weekend in May when I travelled through Donner Pass (I-80). It was snowing at the upper elevations with plows in operation keeping it clear. And yes, they do use salt there, and one can count on it in early May.

Craig

rkapteyn
07-04-2016, 11:05 AM
I use WAZE.
https://www.waze.com
It even tells you where the speed traps are.
Robert Kapteyn