PDA

View Full Version : Sale advice needed for 63 GT Hawk

jlmiranda109
07-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Our family is the original owners of a 63 GT Hawk since its purchase in Puerto Rico in 1963. The car is now in my garage in Florida. Ten years ago I paid to have the engine restored as the car had not run for over 20 years. In 2006 the engine was restored and it ran for several months. It is now inoperable once again as I found water in the oil pan during an oil change. It is in storage and is in need of some tlc which I am unable to provide.

I need some advice on what a fair sale price should be for the car. It has 56,000 original miles! Nothing on it has been restored except for the engine as I described above. Great project car for someone with skills.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joe M.
Fernandina Beach, FL

nels
07-02-2016, 06:54 AM
The most important item when looking to restore a Studebaker is the amount of rust or prior repaired rust in the floor, trunk, fenders and frame. Maybe it's the photos but the color looks a little bluefish not just white. Has it been repainted?
Water in the oil would typically be head gasket leak. Your Hawk, as equipped, isn't a high dollar car, even restored. A nice unrestored running/driving rust free example is probably in the 6k to 12k range. Pretty wide range I know.

jlmiranda109
07-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks Nels.
Original car color was Champagne Gold. In the cars first year it was repainted to Sky Blue. During engine restoration I had them repaint engine compartment to the original gold color. So right now is neither one nor the other. Rust is minimal but surface is showing signs of rust spots thru paint.
Thanks again for the advice. Am thinking of a $ 5000 sale price just to get it moving.
JM

jackb
07-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Do you have a good title ??

studegary
07-02-2016, 04:47 PM
I suggest putting it on eBay with a good description, a low starting price and a reserve price that you can live with. The World market will tell you today's price for your car.

EDIT: Keep in mind that a non-operable car is harder to sell and brings much less money due to the added difficulty and cost associated with transportiing it and people being leary of what may be wrong. Your car's sale would bring more if you got the engine running.

jlmiranda109
07-02-2016, 05:14 PM
jackb,
Yes title is clear. First purchsed by my great aunt in 1963. My father purchased from her in 1984. I purchased from him in 2003.
jm

studegary
07-02-2016, 05:57 PM
jackb,
Yes title is clear. First purchsed by my great aunt in 1963. My father purchased from her in 1984. I purchased from him in 2003.
jm

With that mathematical progression, you should be selling it in 2020.

SN-60
07-02-2016, 06:04 PM
This GT Hawk looks to have a lot of potential...and a clear family history from new means something!....Good luck!

sals54
07-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Thanks Nels.
Original car color was Champagne Gold. In the cars first year it was repainted to Sky Blue. During engine restoration I had them repaint engine compartment to the original gold color. So right now is neither one nor the other. Rust is minimal but surface is showing signs of rust spots thru paint.
Thanks again for the advice. Am thinking of a $ 5000 sale price just to get it moving.
JM

Just my opinion, but I've sold a lot of GTs through the years. I'm not belittling the car, but I'm just trying to give you some sound advice here.
A non-running GT which is essentially an unrestored, entry level trim package is not likely to sell for $5000 anywhere shipping is going to be required. Non-running cars require extra time and attention to ship and therefore cost more. Understand from the shippers point of view. Often times a multi car hauler will have to maneuver cars on and off the trailer to maximize load and weight distribution. A non runner has to be winched in place on pickup and delivery and stay where its put.
Secondly, water in the oil, in an engine that was otherwise in good condition when it was parked, more than likely has a cracked block due to freezing. That will mean an engine replacement, not a rebuild.
And lastly, I would be concerned about rust issues throughout the undercarriage. And the incidentals... brakes? electrical? cooling system? shocks? glass? How much for those?
I hope this helps. Again, I'm trying to be realistic, not heroic.
And just to be fair, I did a quick search on Craigslist and found a running, driving GT with 289 and 4 speed trans, currently licensed and driven for $9K.
But, contact your local chapter of the Stude club members and have them assess it for you. Eyes on, will be a much better judge than surmising from afar.