PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Warwick,RI. International Meet Attendees.

63t-cab
07-01-2016, 03:02 PM
I never really new if I'd make the Meet,till last Minute. I'm pleased I did so,I met up with Dwight Guess - and finally saw His Black 54 - K in the Flesh :!: very nice Car. bumped into SN60, and met up with Captain Billy "able to put a face too". saw some CT. Studes I know,but did not run into the Owners. really like to see what Some of the Mods are done during some of the restorations,concerning Body Work or under the Hood.People are always thinking how to make some aspect of Their prize possession hold up better to the challenges/usage :)

1954khardtop
07-01-2016, 07:30 PM
Joe,
What struck me about the attendees is how happy everyone seemed to be. Everyone I met seemed to be having a good time, and genuinely pleased to meet each other, compare notes on cars and share their stories. I did not sense any of the rivalry or jealousy I've seen at some non SDC shows.

63t-cab
07-01-2016, 07:49 PM
X 2 Dwight, could it be cuz We only just Drive quarky dorky Studebakers with not much too fuss over :yeahright:. really though did You check out that Yellow Long Bed Champ,where We were waiting for Bill Foy ? the Fella has an R1 under the Hood,and a 5 speed o.d., Turner Discs in Front, and I'll be darned that I can't remember if He had Power Steering or not. any ways He said it was fun to Drive,and He should know.

SN-60
07-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Hey, how about that Avanti ll we checked out with the rear 1/4 windows turned upside-down!:eek:....Interesting and UNUSUAL to say the least!!! :)

63t-cab
07-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Ya right, and I wonder how well It's able to keep Water out. I'm really curious what Chassis lies under neath - did You notice it seemed to hang well below the Rocker Panel :confused:. likely some kind of GM Frame I suspect.

Hey, how about that Avanti ll we checked out with the rear 1/4 windows turned upside-down!:eek:....Interesting and UNUSUAL to say the least!!! :)

plee4139
07-02-2016, 05:37 AM
I agree. I don't know if there are rivalries with members of other clubs as this is the only club I belong too, but every event I've attended with the local club has been fun. We just love or cars!

SN-60
07-02-2016, 06:58 AM
One thing that I noticed was how many Studes, both stock and modified, have had modern A/C systems installed utilizing the small Sanden type compressors......

Folks want to enjoy their Studebakers without frying anymore.....and I'm with that 100% :!:

Bob Bryant
07-02-2016, 07:49 AM
A friend and I went to the meet on Thursday. Many gorgeous and interesting cars and friendly people. The meet appeared to be very well organized and enjoyed by the people in attendance. An aside. If things work out I will be living in the South Bend area by next year and that meet will be anticipated. I left the area 28 years ago and look forward to returning.

jackb
07-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Best venue I've ever been to..... and plenty of grass too !!! Hint: for future Meets. Kudos for all who worked a great show...

1954khardtop
07-02-2016, 10:25 AM
One of the highlights for me was the co-operator seminar. I always turn there first when I get my Turning Wheels, and it was nice to meet the guys in person. After it was over I saw Bob P. in the parking lot, and got his blessing on my battery hold down.

studegary
07-02-2016, 04:38 PM
I agree. I don't know if there are rivalries with members of other clubs as this is the only club I belong too, but every event I've attended with the local club has been fun. We just love or cars!

Peter - People in SDC are so nice that they even turned your headlights off when I noticed that you had left them on when you walked away. I couldn't catch up to you and I never saw you again.

Rerun
07-02-2016, 07:19 PM

Any pictures?

SN-60
07-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Any pictures?

I didn't get any because my camera ran out of memory card....but basically, the owner modified the fiberglass roof 'sail panels' to make room to mount an inverted right 1/4 window on the left side, and an inverted left 1/4 window on the right side of this Avanti ll:ohmy:....also, the body may have been mounted onto a different chassis, but I'm not sure about that.

57studesilverhawk
07-02-2016, 08:43 PM
I really enjoyed the meet and taking the pictures for Turning Wheels, My 57 Hawk made the trip in comfort till the fourth day and then the AC started to make a noise so It had to be turned off, but a great trip, a lot of great people, Thanks for hosting, till the next time , drive safe.

StudeDave57
07-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Any pictures?

I didn't get any because my camera ran out of memory card....but basically, the owner modified the fiberglass roof 'sail panels' to make room to mount an inverted right 1/4 window on the left side, and an inverted left 1/4 window on the right side of this Avanti ll:ohmy:....also, the body may have been mounted onto a different chassis, but I'm not sure about that.

It's quite an interesting ride, that one. There are some photos in one of the StudeGroups on Facebook.

For as much as everyone is talking about the quarter windows- I have to go on record and say that I like the exhaust treatment and the fender emblems as much or more. I'm still not certain of what's under that hood though... :confused: :whome:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

SN-60
07-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Any pictures?

Rerun.......I just noticed that if you go to post # 43 under "Warwick Studebakers", and then view the 3/4 rear view of the '56 Golden, look just above the Hawk and you can see that unusual Avanti in the distance....kind of hard to see, but you may be able to just make out the reversed 1/4 windows....Ed :)

StudeDave57
07-03-2016, 11:41 AM
This may or may not work, but give it a go~

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1230010203689912&set=pcb.1064447383630501&type=3&theater

Thanks to Peter Crisitelloā€ˇ for the photos... ;)
(there are four or five of them)

StudeDave '57 :cool:

plee4139
07-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Gary.

StudeRich
07-03-2016, 03:43 PM
That really is an interesting look, exactly the same as the '84-'86 T-Bird and Turbo Coupes!
55968 55969
..................................And from this angle has a Convertible Look, like the 1/4 Windows on '62-'64 Larks and Lark Types.

55970 55971 Turbo Coupes, definitely NOT your Grandmother's Thunderbird.

The Cougar and XR7 Turbo actually HAD Avanti Style 1/4 Windows (Flipped T-Bird) but not the Avanti Type Rear Glass, it got the Formal Flatter Rear Glass.

With a Hawk front end and a Avanti rear, I always thought these were very Studebaker like, they even had a Borg Warner T-5, 5 Speed Overdrive!
Kinda like a '86 Studebaker Avanthawk Turbo!

SusieQ
07-03-2016, 05:18 PM
I really enjoyed the meet and taking the pictures for Turning Wheels, My 57 Hawk made the trip in comfort till the fourth day and then the AC started to make a noise so It had to be turned off, but a great trip, a lot of great people, Thanks for hosting, till the next time , drive safe.

Evan,
Nice to see you again, and many thanks for taking all of the pix of the show cars and the display cars. I did notice that at my table, there were lots of looks at your pix prior to the competition results. Be safe, Susan Lusted

raprice
07-03-2016, 05:26 PM
As I've said many times, Studebaker people are special. I belong to other antique car clubs (non-Stude) and none of them come close to the feeling I get when I'm with Studebaker people. I've always enjoyed the Studebaker International meets and Warwick was no exception.
Rog