PDA

View Full Version : How alike are the 1963 Studebaker Avanti and 1966 Jaguar E-Type 2+2?

rgallatin
06-30-2016, 06:34 AM
A four-seater version of the XK-E coupé was added in 1966. The 2+2 offered the option of an automatic transmission and a body 9 in longer. Front and back views of the two cars are surprisingly similar.

Avanti and 60s sport coupes including the 1966 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 (http://www.theavanti.net/60ssportscars.html)

8E45E
06-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Alike in concept, but different enough to be able to tell them apart a block away; unlike some of today's new cars.

Craig

t walgamuth
06-30-2016, 01:45 PM
How alike are they? Not much. the Jag is a stretched sports car with unibody and advanced fully independent suspension all around, disc brakes and a twin cam motor. The Avanti is a body on frame derived from the sedans dating back to the forties. It does have a svelte shape with small frontal area and fiberglass body but its technologically pretty primitive compared to the Jag.

48skyliner
06-30-2016, 02:07 PM
I had a 63 E type roadster, rebuilt from a wreck I bought in 64. Just about everything on the road was primitive compared to the E type when it first appeared, including all the high priced Italian cars. This was at the time when Jaguar was winning the Le Mans 24 hour race several times, and certainly knew how to build good suspension and brakes. I never had any serious problems with the engine or transmission, but every week some part would fail, from door handles to tachometer drive, constant annoyance to the point where owning it was just not that much fun. The problem with the British car companies was that they never bothered to fix the problems, so the last ones built had all the same problems as the first ones. I had one of the first Rover 2000TC sedans sold in the U.S., nice driving car, but with constant problems, and I am told the last ones built were still blowing head gaskets like the early ones.

sals54
06-30-2016, 02:29 PM
How alike are they? Not much. the Jag is a stretched sports car with unibody and advanced fully independent suspension all around, disc brakes and a twin cam motor. The Avanti is a body on frame derived from the sedans dating back to the forties. It does have a svelte shape with small frontal area and fiberglass body but its technologically pretty primitive compared to the Jag.

This is sad, but true. An Avanti is the better looking sister of the Lark. Most of us have had that sorry experience of meeting her as we picked up our sorta good looking prom date. But, I digress.
Nevertheless, equally equipped Larks will better the Avanti in performance, even at speed.
Besides, the Jag XKE is still considered among the most beautiful cars ever made... period. And that's not just Jag owner's opinions, but a consensus of automotive enthusiasts for the last 50 years. The Avanti, as loved as it is by many, is still quirky enough to be thought of as an "also ran" in the design department.

packard352
06-30-2016, 03:56 PM
The E-Type Jag as it's referred to in the UK and when it became a 2 + 2 car had a very ungainly look about. When the last variant was sold, with a V12 engine and 2 + 2 body, it looked very unattractive. Enzo Ferrari is reputed to have said that Lyons had designed the most beautiful car ever designed with the only problem being... it wasn't a Ferrari.

Where the E-Type (XKE) and Avanti differ is this; today's prices for E-Types (Series 1) if you can find them are in the stratosphere - how about £150K requiring full restoration. There is one going for auction in July in the UK with a price guide of £245,000 - almost the price of 3-bedroom house in the UK.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C761010

As big a fan of Studebakers as I am, I doubt the brand will ever hit the league of Ferrari's, Astons and Jaguars.

My late-father nearly bought a brand new Avanti when I was a small boy when living in London; he regretted selling his beloved '56 Golden Hawk.

The Design Museum's photo make for compelling visual arguments that they are possibly similar, they are not for some very obvious financial reasons.

Xcalibur
06-30-2016, 08:46 PM
And, a sadly related anecdote... a clown I used to work with swore his neighbor had gotten an Avanti (like mine) and I should come see it... you got it; it was an XKE... duh!!!

thunderations
06-30-2016, 09:21 PM
They both used Dunlop disc brakes on the front.

t walgamuth
06-30-2016, 11:03 PM
But the Avanti was a magnificent effort for a dying company.

sals54
06-30-2016, 11:26 PM
But the Avanti was a magnificent effort for a dying company.

So true and soooo sad. Too bad GM sabotaged the Avanti body production or it may have been a better ending for the Avanti.

Andy R.
07-01-2016, 02:14 AM
And, a sadly related anecdote... a clown I used to work with swore his neighbor had gotten an Avanti (like mine) and I should come see it... you got it; it was an XKE... duh!!!

To be mistaken for an E-type is about as high a compliment any car can receive...Well, except Harold's (2+1?)...

http://www.carpassion.com/forum/uploads/monthly_07_2012/post-67079-14435400295477.jpg

The most frequent Avanti comparison to an English car I hear is Jensen Interceptor (rear window form).