Studebakers with vinyl wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers with vinyl wrap?

Has anyone got pictures to share of Studebakers that have been wrapped with vinyl? I'm mostly interested in solid colors and not splashy graphics, but any photos would be interesting. I'm considering it a more cost effective solution for refinishing my car than paint. A $3000 paint job is out of the question (or even a $2000 paint job). I'd love to have a shiny car for a change.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Vinyl wraps aren't really that shiny.... they are more satin than anything else.
    Still - would like to see one wrapped.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

If the color is OK, but just not shiny, how about future floor wax? It's not wax at all, but actually a clear acrylic paint that you can apply with a sponge or a brush. You can test it on a small part of the car first.

BTW, thanks for spelling "shiny" correctly. Too many folks think the word is "shinny."
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Well...here's one option ...

If you try it... start a thread, take lots of pics, post, and document your project. We love projects and pics...can't wait...
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          Vinyl wraps aren't really that shiny.... they are more satin than anything else.
          Still - would like to see one wrapped.
          Some wraps are very shiny!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	shiny.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1707505
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            If the color is OK, but just not shiny, how about future floor wax? It's not wax at all, but actually a clear acrylic paint that you can apply with a sponge or a brush. You can test it on a small part of the car first.

BTW, thanks for spelling "shiny" correctly. Too many folks think the word is "shinny."
            Very interesting! My current paint is not quite even in its oxidation, so it wouldn't help that problem. Maybe worth trying, though.

Comment

I believe the tried and true CASO paint job is done with some rolls of masking tape, a gallon of Rustoleum, a can of paint thinner for cleanup, and a selection of various width sponge paint rollers. Should be under $100.
              Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I have never seen a "Wrapped" Studebaker, there very well may not be any.

Here is what our 2000 Ford E-350 looks like in a Semi to Med. Gloss White Wrap.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3595.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1707506
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55713[/ATTACH]
                  Do you mind me asking about how long it took to do the job and roughly what the cost was?

Comment

Scott, when we had our trucking business, my older brother took care of our decal and graphics applications. Therefore, I'm not qualified to comment from a "first-hand" experienced knowledge of having this done. However, besides commercial vehicles, buses, race cars, etc., large vinyl graphics are frequently used on motor homes and other RV trailers.

Perhaps, you could check for local businesses that service those vinyl wrap needs, in order to gain insight and knowledge of what it would take. Like a lot of processes, the vinyl wrap method has improved over time, and just might be something feasible that was not available a few years ago.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55713[/ATTACH]
                      Didn't know you had a U-Haul franchise, Rich!
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC
                      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Here's a good example of something done on an older car. http://cityscoop.us/bellevuewa-signa...or-seattle-wa/

Comment

That Cutlass looks great, but know that wraps DO NOT hide surface flaws such as scratches or rust. So good body work is still needed for good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            Do you mind me asking about how long it took to do the job and roughly what the cost was?
                            These used U-Haul Trucks can be Purchased and before that happens, they Wrap them to hide all the Murals, Advertising, Warnings etc. that are Decaled on the Paint with a White Wrap, so I do not know what it cost them, but a friendly U-Haul Sales Office might tell you if interested.

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                            Didn't know you had a U-Haul franchise, Rich!
                            Notice that is a Discrete, undercover, unmarked, E-350 17 ft. Van!
                            U-Haul? What U-Haul, maybe I happen to LIKE A&W Root Beer ORANGE!!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Some 44 years ago in Minneapolis there was an MGA roadster with the body completely covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting tiles. It bore California plates (a wondrous thing in Minnesota) and must have gotten a lot heavier when it rained.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X