PDA

View Full Version : C/K Reproduction Weatherstrip Manufacturer

3x2stude
06-23-2016, 10:22 PM
I notice that "Studebaker International" and "Studebaker Glass And Rubber" both use the same part numbers for many of their C/K weather strip parts. Who actually makes most of the reproduction soft parts? I have questions on some pieces and I would rather ask the manufacturer and not the vendor.

JK

karterfred88
06-23-2016, 10:57 PM
You would have to ask the vendor you purchased from, but more than likely it was produced by Studebaker Rubber, or Steele, and some others not in the US, not a real money maker for a US company. Since the vendor supplied it they should be able to answer your questions. Since many of the classic rubber manufacturers also sell direct they might be less than helpful or that particular seal may not be theirs, a vendor may supply one seal from one company and a different seal for the same car sourced elsewhere. Sorry this sounds vague, but it's like asking who made brake linings or pads.

Pat Dilling
06-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Contact Studebaker Rubber Gaskets, Valerie Hansen. She took over the business from her father William Fennessey. They are a manufacturer for more than 45 years. They are a loyal advertiser in Turning Wheels and a long time supporter of the SDC. (615)356-7510 They are out of Nashville, TN

stude dude
06-24-2016, 03:03 AM
I was told recently that S.I. produces most of their own rubber parts. Various quality issues of the past have been resolved with new molds, but some new ones have popped up too. Problems range from relatively minor finishing issues to complete product failures without a solution. As a retailer of these products (and first hand user) we continue to give feedback but are often told (and I quote) 'you are fitting it wrong', 'you are fitting it upside down' or 'knowbody else has this problem' even though EVERYONE else I spoke to does. But the origins of specific problem seals are hard to determine.

Chris.

StudeNewby
06-24-2016, 07:16 AM
Most Studebaker vendors use the original Studebaker part numbers so we consumers can match them up with the parts and service manuals. What a convenience that is!

56Golden
06-24-2016, 07:56 AM
Contact Studebaker Rubber Gaskets, Valerie Hansen. She took over the business from her father William Fennessey.

Valerie is one very nice person to deal with. If heading to the SDC IM in RI this coming week Valerie should be there vending. Stop by, say Hi and ask those questions.

wdills
06-24-2016, 09:02 AM
I bought my new windshield from Studebaker Glass and Rubber. During the conversation I asked some questions about the windshield rubber I had from SI vs. what he sells. He told me that he buys his from SI so they are the same.

Quentin
06-27-2016, 07:31 AM
As most of my seals were disintegrating in my hands, I replaced almost all rubber on my 63 Hawk, apart from the front and rear screens. Had no issue regarding fitting with any piece. (under-door seal needed trimming to size). Purchased from Chuck Collins, who also has groovy website whole-of-vehicle diagrams as to which part number/rubber goes where. Very helpful.

raoul5788
06-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Valerie is here at the Warwick meet.

3x2stude
06-29-2016, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all the help. here is one specific question. On a C-body door gasket the open side of the gasket changes direction 180degrees just above the upper door hinge on an original. Does the repop have that feature?5575855759 The gaskets in the photos are original.

JK

stude dude
06-30-2016, 02:21 AM
Thanks for all the help. here is one specific question. On a C-body door gasket the open side of the gasket changes direction 180degrees just above the upper door hinge on an original. Does the repop have that feature?5575855759 The gaskets in the photos are original.

JK

Doesn't look like a C-body. Looks like a C-cab!

The C-body seal does not and should not change direction.

Chris.

3x2stude
06-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Chris,

Do you have a car with original gaskets in it? I do not think so. This is the body they were in, cut up now.55812

I saved the gaskets, they switch direction.

stude dude
07-01-2016, 05:44 AM
Chris,

Do you have a car with original gaskets in it? I do not think so. This is the body they were in, cut up now.55812

I saved the gaskets, they switch direction.

Actually yes... Have three that I can view within 20 minutes from home. And we have some N.O.S. weatherstrips too. I don't doubt the seals you have are original but sometimes that old extruded rubber collapses internally but the skin remains. If the lip in the seal does a 180 degree roll, is there a point further up the A pillar where it rolls back 180 degrees?

3x2stude
07-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Chris,

It would be great if you could get some pictures of the original gaskets. I didn't mean to sound snotty on the last reply. :)

JK