PDA

View Full Version : 1963/1964 Avanti Authenticity Manual

lschuc
06-21-2016, 01:18 PM
The 1963 & 1964 Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual is finally completed. It has been eagerly anticipated since it was previewed at the 2015 International Meet. Order your copy today with free shipping.

This 352 page, full-color book was compiled by a host of Avanti historians and restoration professionals to essentially show how Studebaker factory workers assembled the Avanti automobile. Full-color photographs and descriptions show the correct parts and locations under the hood, chassis, interior colors and engine assembles as the cars came from the factory.

Almost every page contains large and clear color photographs to show how parts were assembled, decals placed and the factory placement of all hoses, clamps and accessories.

Corvette restorers have volumns of Bloomington Gold "bibles" costing hundreds of dollars each. This book is comparable at a fraction of the cost.
If you're restoring an original Studebaker Avanti, this book is essential to creating a concours-winning automobile.

Click the link below to order your copy!

https://www.aoai.org/shop/product.php?productid=45

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54066725/authcover.jpghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54066725/authmanual02.jpg

Hawklover
06-21-2016, 01:50 PM
It would be nice if you actually showed some of the pages therein.......you know, to garner interest...as opposed to the proverbial "pig-in-a-poke"....as they say in the big cities "inquiring minds want to know"
The 1963 & 1964 Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual is finally completed. It has been eagerly anticipated since it was previewed at the 2015 International Meet. Order your copy today with free shipping.

This 352 page, full-color book was compiled by a host of Avanti historians and restoration professionals to essentially show how Studebaker factory workers assembled the Avanti automobile. Full-color photographs and descriptions show the correct parts and locations under the hood, chassis, interior colors and engine assembles as the cars came from the factory.

Almost every page contains large and clear color photographs to show how parts were assembled, decals placed and the factory placement of all hoses, clamps and accessories.

Corvette restorers have volumns of Bloomington Gold "bibles" costing hundreds of dollars each. This book is comparable at a fraction of the cost.
If you're restoring an original Studebaker Avanti, this book is essential to creating a concours-winning automobile.

Click the link below to order your copy!

https://www.aoai.org/shop/product.php?productid=45

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54066725/authcover.jpghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54066725/authmanual02.jpg

Albee Basile
06-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Great reference work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ddub
06-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Shoot! I just snail mailed my order today. Had I seen this first I could have ordered on line.

lschuc
06-21-2016, 04:37 PM
It would be nice if you actually showed some of the pages therein.......you know, to garner interest...as opposed to the proverbial "pig-in-a-poke"....as they say in the big cities "inquiring minds want to know"

Go to the shopping cart page online and a couple more page images can be viewed. That is also why I posted the table of contents page too. There are 352 pages in the book, all full color with descriptions. Any Avanti owner or restorer will not be dissapointed.

Silverplate
06-21-2016, 07:41 PM
When will they be shipped?

GrumpyOne
06-21-2016, 07:55 PM
The price of $75 is very reasonable given the scope of the publication. Good Job!

lschuc
06-21-2016, 11:04 PM
When will they be shipped?

We received all books on Monday (June 20) from the printer and all preorders were shipped the same day. Most online orders from today (Tuesday) were shipped the same day. Except for weekends, most all orders are shipped the same day we receive them by USPS Priority MailĀ®, or if after USPS hours, they go out the next day.

unclemiltie
06-22-2016, 06:36 AM
I saw Lew's copy last night. Very well done. I do not have a 63 64 Avanti but plan on ordering one

Warren Webb
06-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Ordered mine a few minutes ago. Looking forward to it as I'm the second owner with my #1 Avanti.

lschuc
06-22-2016, 05:31 PM
Ordered mine a few minutes ago. Looking forward to it as I'm the second owner with my #1 Avanti.

Warren, your book was mailed today, priority mail from Arizona. You should have it in 2-3 days.

JWL4541
06-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Received my copy yesterday. I join in with others who have offered compliments on the book and the time and efforts expended to publish it. I noticed a photo in the back of the book showing Avantis loaded on railroad car transporters for the Las Vegas Dealers Drive Away. According to the dealer invoice for my Avanti (4541), it was part of the Drive Away. I may be looking at my car in that photo. Thanks!

(o{}o)

abkco
06-23-2016, 09:16 PM
I ordered mine yesterday. can't wait!

sailingadventure
06-24-2016, 05:19 AM
I got mine the other day and it`s worth every penny. Very well done with great pictures.

Silverplate
06-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Ordered my copy today. Look forward.

stupak
06-24-2016, 08:49 PM
You go to a show where there are, say 50 '63/'64 Avanti's and 48 of them are customized/modified. Isn't it a little late for an 'Authenticity Manual'? The original 'proof' I looked at contained quite a few errors/misconceptions. I assume that many of them were corrected, but........ I'll look at one in RI before shelling out the $75.00. Yup, I'm a CASO. stupak

Albee Basile
06-24-2016, 09:23 PM
You go to a show where there are, say 50 '63/'64 Avanti's and 48 of them are customized/modified. Isn't it a little late for an 'Authenticity Manual'? The original 'proof' I looked at contained quite a few errors/misconceptions. I assume that many of them were corrected, but........ I'll look at one in RI before shelling out the $75.00. Yup, I'm a CASO. stupak

If you gave valid input -- I incorporated it into the final version of the Authenticity Manual.

Why is it too late? The goal was to elevate the Studebaker Avanti to the status it deserves in the collector car world. I have spent a year and a half of my life working on this. Whatever was modified can be "un-modified".

Al Basile
Author

stude dude
06-25-2016, 02:12 AM
Nice work Al. I know that you know what you are talking about. I look forward to having a copy of this guide. Some Australian Avanti owners need educating too.

Chris.

Albee Basile
06-25-2016, 04:53 AM
Thank you, Chris. The goal is to elevate the Studebaker Avanti to the status it deserves in the collector car world. Soon these cars will all pass on to a new generation. They will be looking for a "road map" when preserving or restoring their car. We think this manual is a good beginning toward reaching that "place". I've owned 5 Avantis over a 46 year period of time and have never lost my love for them. By the way, we are talking about doing something similar for the Avanti II.

Gunslinger
06-25-2016, 07:57 AM
As much work and effort went into the '63-'64 authenticity manual, it seems to me an even bigger undertaking to do it for the Avanti II. Yes...there were certain standard features and specified options but so many custom items were done for specific customers that weren't standard it would take a copy of every production order to detail such changes...and then it may not specify exactly what brand and part numbers for some of those custom items.

Nate Altman bragged they could do four hundred different interiors...fabrics, leathers and vinyls...and also do whatever a customer provided. Add to that they would paint a car in any automotive color available.

That doesn't take into account changes in mechanical and trim items over time and changes made to meet federal safety standards. Cataloging all that into one manual on authenticity would truly be a monumental task. More power to you if you tackle that and can do it. That would be quite an accomplishment.

lschuc
06-25-2016, 09:17 AM

There were, and are, still Avantis that are original, unrestored and low enough mileage where even the exhaust systems have not been changed or replaced. The authors found several of these cars and photographed them extensively. Yes, they may have surface rust, but all parts, nuts, bolts and hoses on these cars were as they left the South Bend factory over 50 years ago.
Others of these cars were photographed as they were being restored, to preserve the exact way and procedure that they were built.

By the way, many of the pages in the original proof last year were thrown away and/or extensivily updated by many individuals who had a hand in proof reading the book and in offering their own proof of Avanti originality.

abkco
06-26-2016, 12:06 AM
Fantastic book and sorely needed. Thanks

Warren Webb
06-26-2016, 05:31 AM
Mine arrived Friday & I sat in my "library" for a half hour or so studying it. I am the second owner of my #1 Avanti that I went through back in the early 90's. My goal then was to revive it to it's original condition. Why I even kept the grinder marks on the firewall ledge that were most likely caused by an errant grinder left on that part while still running. The joints of the rocker panels still have their waves. I just didn't & couldn't make it "perfect." I just left it was it was made. With this book I can go over it with a fine tooth comb & make sure it's right.

Hawklover
06-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Al were you the fellow in Denville New Jersey I used to see from time to time on Rt 46?
Thank you, Chris. The goal is to elevate the Studebaker Avanti to the status it deserves in the collector car world. Soon these cars will all pass on to a new generation. They will be looking for a "road map" when preserving or restoring their car. We think this manual is a good beginning toward reaching that "place". I've owned 5 Avantis over a 46 year period of time and have never lost my love for them. By the way, we are talking about doing something similar for the Avanti II.

Albee Basile
06-26-2016, 06:03 PM
Yes, that was me. I moved to Seattle in 2010.

Bob Caser
06-26-2016, 06:21 PM
I over restored my Avanti many years ago. Having the manual might have helped, but at the time we wanted trailer queen. I have just attended the Blooming. Gold Corvette show in Indianapolis. These people have all the books and manuals, but I dId not see many happy faces.
Bob Caser

Albee Basile
06-26-2016, 11:05 PM
Your point is wll taken, Bob. I restored a 1957 Thunderbird using the CTCI restoration guide. My car earned a Gold medallion and Senior Status at the first convention I brought it to. After that, I found myself with a very expensive "paperweight" that brought me little joy. The Authenticiy Manual was designed not to be a restoration guide or a guide on how to win trophies. I think the best way to describe it is to tell you about a car show I attended just yesterday. A young man came over to me and said his Dad had been a long time member of AOAI and he just given him his 1964 Avanti. He was interested in the car; but did not know a lot about the history behind it, how it was manufactured or what made it unique. He did not want to restore the car -- just preserve it to something close to stock and get it back on the road. I showed him the Authenticity Manual and he said, "Wow, this is just what I'm looking for". He opened his Smart phone and ordered a copy online.

Bob Caser
06-26-2016, 11:19 PM
Your discription sounds like Mike H. If so he knows more than what he is letting on. I will buy a manual for future education and to support all the hard work you have all done to bring this to fruition.

Bob Caser

Albee Basile
06-27-2016, 10:58 AM
I spoke to THE GUY YOU MENTIONED, but he did not buy a manual and he did know his stuff -- I think he had some good teachers! I hope he joins the club, though. The person I talked about in the original post did not know much about the Avanti. By the way, this story is not that unusual. There are many Avantis in this area tucked away in garages and barns. Since I am the contact point for Club Avanti Northwest, I get calls and emails like this on a regular basis. Most have no interest in the Avanti and just want to sell it; but every once in a while I get inquiries like the one I described above. As old timers like me make provisions for the disposition of their old cars, this will be happening more and more. By the end of a car show, our Board Members are usuually exhausted from answering questions about the AVANTI. The first supply of the manual sold out in only a week! I checked with my Thunderbird friends. Their manual now costs $185.00. Bob, I hope to meet you in the future!

Albee Basile
06-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Yes, it would be a tall order. I owned a '69 Avanti II that was really built in '68. It had a 327 Corvette Engine. I knew a member that had the car that was built just two cars before mine. Lots of differences even there. I'm looking for a partner in this Avanti II project. As with 63/64 manual, I had plenty of people telling what I should do; but not many willing to help me do it!

Buzzard
06-27-2016, 11:29 AM
Congrats Al on your massive undertaking. Should you take on the seemingly impossible task of AVANTI II'S, I own 1970 RQA 0332 (Formerly Nate Altman's from San Diego) and 1983 RQB 3703. As they are very original, perhaps I might be able to photograph or assist in documentation somehow?
Let me know.
Cheers, Bill

Albee Basile
06-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Thank you, Bill. I will take you up on that offer. I was talking to Lew Schucart about this today. We will probably start off slowly; but your photos and knowledge will be needed if this is to become a reality. Still looking for a few more good
women and men to make this happen.

Hawklover
06-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Wow!......Joyzee to Seattle, that is like being on another planet!!
Yes, that was me. I moved to Seattle in 2010.

studegary
06-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Thank you, Bill. I will take you up on that offer. I was talking to Lew Schucart about this today. We will probably start off slowly; but your photos and knowledge will be needed if this is to become a reality. Still looking for a few more good
women and men to make this happen.

I will help where I can. I purchased a new 1987 Avanti. I believe that I know more about the 1987-2007 Avantis than most, but not as much as a few.

Bob Caser
06-28-2016, 11:13 AM
I spoke to THE GUY YOU MENTIONED, but he did not buy a manual and he did know his stuff -- I think he had some good teachers! I hope he joins the club, though. The person I talked about in the original post did not know much about the Avanti. By the way, this story is not that unusual. There are many Avantis in this area tucked away in garages and barns. Since I am the contact point for Club Avanti Northwest, I get calls and emails like this on a regular basis. Most have no interest in the Avanti and just want to sell it; but every once in a while I get inquiries like the one I described above. As old timers like me make provisions for the disposition of their old cars, this will be happening more and more. By the end of a car show, our Board Members are usuually exhausted from answering questions about the AVANTI. The first supply of the manual sold out in only a week! I checked with my Thunderbird friends. Their manual now costs $185.00. Bob, I hope to meet you in the future!

Hi Al,
Thank you for your reply. That young man was taught by Gary Johnson and his father and I am happy to call him a friend. You state that you receive calls from people hat have no interest in their Avanti and only want to sell them. In our old neighborhood in Jersey we would ask them to leave as we would not tolerate such poor taste and behavior. I have attached a photos of "your" over restored 64 Avanti .
I promise to get up to Seattle and spend time with you and Gary. 5573955740

Albee Basile
06-29-2016, 09:31 PM
Sounds good Bob. We are pretty sure the SDC/AOAI 2018 International Meet will be in Seattle.

Are those really photos of R-5432?

Al

Bob Caser
06-30-2016, 01:52 AM
[QUOTE=Albee Basile;998919]Sounds good Bob. We are pretty sure the SDC/AOAI 2018 International Meet will be in Seattle.

Are those really photos of R-5432?

Al[/QUOTE

The photos are of R 5051, purchased from Bendix Motors in Fairview, New Jersey. This is my car that has been over restored and never shown since finished.
Maybe Seattle will be it's debut.

Bob Caser

06-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Received mine today. Got a bit of a scare when I picked up the Priority Mail package. The entire end was ripped open and the book slid out easily. However, the book was fine. Maybe someone in the shipping chain wanted a look.
Also strange, I idly opened the book and page C-123 appeared. I was surprised to see my photo of the crate R-3 and R-4 engines. I had picked them up at the terminal in Baltimore just hours before and I had just removed the tops of the crates for my first view. I later delivered the two engines in the crates to the Museum where they promised to keep my crates, they disappeared and I had never taken photographs of the Granatelli markings and the graffiti added by longshoresmen at some point. The R-3 air cleaner, air tube, fender grommet and supercharger belts also disappeared (long before the current Museum administration). The R-3 is shown on page C-119 when it was on display at the Museum. The R-4 is still there.
Re the discussion of horsepower- when I sold the R-3 to a California buyer I first took the engine to Jon Myer to check before shipping it on to the buyer. Jon had it dynoed before he sent it. Milder cam, standard output supercharger- 357 horsepower.
At any rate, I'm VERY pleased with the book and certainly recommend it.

Silverplate
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM
I got my book in today's mail and cannot wait to get time to get really into it. Mine arrived with a torn corner packaging and large gouge in corner binding. Have had experience with the post office before, they most likely tell to go pound sand for that claim. If all books are simply shipped in an envelope mailer its poor. They offer zero protection. I would have gladly paid for shipping and have it arrive safe and sound in a box type mailer.

ddub
07-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Mine arrived yesterday and the packaging showed signs of hard use but the book survived alright. I guess that shows that the package did its job and was needed.

Compliments to all involved in producing this very detailed work. Outstanding job.

Albee Basile
12-19-2016, 06:06 PM
The 1963/1964 Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual is now in a 4th re-print!

Albee Basile
12-19-2016, 09:05 PM
The Studebaker Avanti Authenticity Manual is now in its 4th re-print!

prez55
12-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Order the book and enjoyed. Question ? Did Avanti frames have hidden serial number like other Studebaker. Have had several off frame and have one sitting in shop now. Would love to look if had any idea where to look.