X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much might my stude be worth

55 president , Maaco paint , more details to follow
    Attached Files

Hmmmm!...Power windows?......That's rare in a coupe! (come to think of it, they're also rare in a hardtop,... or ANY '55 Stude! )

Comment

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
      55 president , Maaco paint , more details to follow
      Not sure I want to sell , but wondering !

Comment

windsheild replace , used, drivers window replaced, trans overhauled, leaks at electrical connection, i think, brakes shoes replace ,and wheel cylinders, recored radiator , generator rebuilt, wipers don't work , horn doen't work, turn siganals don't work, dash lights don't work , new master cylinder , drivable , but shop said steering is sloppy , really needs frame off restore, driver power window motor works , passenger doesn't , new seat belts,seat material replaced by me ,from jp (east coast) wide radial tires replace in 2010, hardly driven by me , speedometer doesn't work, dash lights don't work , replaced turn signal canceling cam , ( from stude parts ( arizona) work once ,then stopped, applied expoxy to steering wheel rim , and painted in black & white, have carpeting in box , left trunk lid hinge is questionable now, rear window should come out and new weather strip put in ,( questionable as to if it leaks ) but my new package tray wrinkle up ,so who knows, I can't say radio delete, but no radio whatso ever.. No headliner ,I have a 6 volt altnator ,new, ,not put on... Have aluminum spacer ,under a edlebrock air cleaner. dealer installed heater under dash, oh this is a New mexico ,car , floors are awesome solid. will trade for a driveable tucker... Ha
        Last edited by 14x7; 06-19-2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

For driver quality cars, I use this as a guide: http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...ent-value.html
          From the pictures and description I would guess your car is between a #5 and #4 condition. Maybe $5000 on a good day. Keep in mind the values represented on the web site are just guidelines. You could get a real world idea from monitoring ebay transactions. There is one on ebay right now with the bidding at $6700. It is in much better condition than the one you have. you should watch this one to get an idea of what a good one could be worth and price yours from there. That, of course, assumes it sells. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-P...m=381671213229
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

As one who has 2 1955 Studebaker's (Speedster and Commander 2 door hardtop) I have noticed that particular President on Ebay several times since the new year started and before. That car is owned by a dealer and has gotten as high as 18k and still has not sold. I have no idea what the reserve would be.

Looking at your car now as presented, it could be hard to determine a value. I see all the things you have done but if someone walks up, all that you have done is not readily visible. Selling a car really depends on the visual. Yes the floors are great which to anyone that has to replace floor knows that value.

Looking at the first picture, everything appears to be nice. Second picture, engine compartment needs some clean up and paint to match the outside. The firewall can be painted without removing the engine but be prepared to spend time to do it right. If you have to pay someone to do that costs ad up fast.

Third picture asks many questions. Do you have the door panels? What color are they? Seats are blue. Seat Covers? It is good you have the carpet. Headliner?

Seeing what you have done is commendable. What you have to do (or pay someone) can seem overwhelming. Just an opinion, but if you are tired of the car and ready to move on, prepare to sell it to someone that will do all the work and they will pay accordingly. You really do have a car with nice bones, but the difference between a car rated as a 4 to a 3 is a large jump in value. Most of the cars at a show are a high 3 with a very few at a 2 and never see a 1 at a local show.

All that being said, and at your location, I am guesstimating a value of between 5 and 7 thousand. All that depends on how much the prospective buyer is enthused about the car and how much they want it. The pool of buyers, as discussed in other threads, is getting smaller. Most that have a touch on the car in the past, like me, is smaller than it was. I was 18 when I got my first car, a 1955 Studebaker Speedster, and now with my 2 cars I am 64.

When I'm Sixty-Four (The Beatles) - Barbershop Quartet style!â–º GET LEARNING TRACKS: http://julienneel.comâ–º SUPPORT ME ON PATREON: http://patreon.com/trudbolâ–º...

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ
            Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Comment

Three hours left on this 55 Studebaker President coupe and reserve not met:

On the other hand this car is also advertised LA Craigslist:

On Craigslist the owner has the car advertised at $9,500. I guess the smog in LA is bad because it appears to have effected rational thought.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ
              Catfish Paradise

Comment

Seeing what you have done is commendable. What you have to do (or pay someone) can seem overwhelming.
                You'd have to hope for the right buyer to come along with a want and the money. For some of our more talented and energetic Stude tinkerers, what needs doing wouldn't be seen as a deal breaker. To pay a professional shop to fix that punch list would be more than the car is worth.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Let me side in with the few that say that you should keep the car. First all cars don't have to be perfect to be useable, and conversely all restored cars are not necessarily perfect or useable. Much has been already been done to make your car a delightful driver. Nothing that you say that it needs is difficult, time consuming or overwhelmingly expensive, especially if you do some of the work yourself. This car is so close to being useable, and really presentable, that I think that it would be a shame to bail out now! I have owned, close to twenty 1955's over the years, and still own three so I speak from experience.

Comment

I hate to comment on value, but let's be honest. You have a desirable model HT. It appears to be a good starter, to work from. Please forget the time and money already put into it. The guide book references don't apply, as there is much needed to get it to even the drivers level let alone a numbered level. Finish painting the engine compartment aprons, firewall and most likely the trunk interior, install the door panels and some carpet. Clean up the engine compartment and then look for a buyer if you still want to sell it. As a former claims adjuster, my view of value may be a little jaded, but realistic, after 40 years of evaluating vehicles' real world values to the public. But as is, where is--- $2000.00-$5000.00 range. If you were to spend an additional $5-10,000 dollars--then???

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                      For driver quality cars, I use this as a guide: http://www.collectorcarmarket.com/co...ent-value.html
                      What is a "STATESMAN" Studebaker ?
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                        What is a "STATESMAN" Studebaker ?
                        That must be the politically correct version of the President-- values appropriately stored for future reference.

Comment

It sold for $11,900...looks like a steal.
                          Mike Davis
                          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                          X