Couldn't help myself!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn't help myself!

This is the Commander we discussed a couple of months back. It was on Carini's show in 2014, I think. Brought it home today. It's pretty solid, a good cleaning and taking care of the mechanicals, I might drive it as is
    .Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160619_180146.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1751205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160619_180136.jpg
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1751206Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160619_180124.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1751207
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Hi Chip, nice looking Studebaker you got there!
    Good luck with getting her going and stopping!
    Saved another one! Good show!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Good deal Chip, if You hurry up with it's needs "You'll be able to Drive it to RI.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

OMG, I love those '50 Commanders and Land Cruisers...especially with the early painted headlight rims.
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
          Good deal Chip, if You hurry up with it's needs "You'll be able to Drive it to RI.
          Don't think it will be road worthy QUITE that soon!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Pull some all Nighters,You can do it Chip. seriously You have a nice Big Road/Touring Car

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
            Don't think it will be road worthy QUITE that soon!
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I like it . Is it an automatic or 3speed OD ?
              Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                I like it . Is it an automatic or 3speed OD ?
                3 speed w/od.
                Chip
                '63 Cruiser
                '57 Packard wagon
                '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

That will be a nice road car. Lose the snow tires, though.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Hey Chip, with the encouragement you gave me for my '57 Clipper Wagon this should be a piece of cake for you. Good luck and lets see some "on the road pics". Congrats.
                    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      That will be a nice road car. Lose the snow tires, though.
                      Maybe you should leave them on for a while - those howling tires might scare some of these hot summer days away

Looks like a nice ride - always thought the bumper guards on those cars weighed 50 lbs each by their looks - good luck.

Comment

Snow tires - oh yeah, keep those on!😂 A lot of folks talk about not seeing the wide whites all that much when our cars were new. In the same vein, you saw a lot of snow tires when these cars were new, especially in the snowbelt areas. Let's start a trend - restored Studebaker with period snow tires. 😂
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Somehow, some kind of error seems to have happened with r1lark's post above. Could be a glitch involving emoticons??? It is preventing me from using the normal "reply with quote" function. So, to add comments regarding his post, I've had to "work-around" to quote him as follows...

Snow tires - oh yeah, keep those on!😂 A lot of folks talk about not seeing the wide whites all that much when our cars were new. In the same vein, you saw a lot of snow tires when these cars were new, especially in the snowbelt areas. Let's start a trend - restored Studebaker with period snow tires. 😂

Back in the late 1950's into the late 1960's, as far south as the Carolina's, there was a trend of one or two crippling, one foot, or more, snowfalls every winter. Living in what I call, "The Edge of Winter,"...it has never made economic sense to gear up for snow removal like you folks who live where "Real" winter is a certainty. However, I do remember my father having a couple of spare wheels for his '40 Chevy, stored for installation starting in late November, and kept on the car until mid March.

A similar trend occurred here several years ago, and hanging in my barn, rusting away, is a couple of snow chain sets. They are decorated with a few years worth of abandoned wasps nest. Except for my Studebakers, (which would never happen) I don't think I own a vehicle the chains would fit anymore.

John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That car would be eye catching with a set of wide whites, but the mud/snow tires take me back. The way the car sits looks period correct. My first car, a Lark, came with those and that's how I drove it until I could afford replacements.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Having owned a '50 Commander 4-door (see my avatar), I can tell you these are nice driving vehicles. Mine rode very comfortably on the back roads as well as the highway. The engine ran like a top and never overheated. It had lots of power and could climb hills like it was eager to get to the top. There was oodles of room for even tall adults. It was just a pleasure to drive. I am sorry I sold it.
                              So, you have a great find there. Take care of the reliability, drive-ability and safety issues and drive it. You won't be sorry.
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                              X