Bought another engine,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought another engine,

Have been looking over my 49 half ton, knowing the whole time the engine is locked up. I put oil down the cylinders, but can remember this engine smoking very badly back when we were using it. It also had two dirty in chassis overhauls back when too. So I chased down a flathead six from Craigslist. Poor connections, and a lot of texting, finally made it to the sellers home. Turned out to be a great guy that was refinishing a started but not completed 53 pickup hot rod. The 245 has been inside a dry shop, with everything from the fan belt, carb, gen., starter and dist. cap in place. Made a deal, loaded it up, have had it cranking over, may try and start it today. Has the 3 speed, no OD, attached, so the whole clutch assembly is in there. What is nice are the plugs the PO made to cap all the water openings, rad and heater hoses, don't think anyone would do that if it was a junk engine. The engine in the 41 Commander sounds OK, but is reassuring to know I have a spare handy. I figure the time to get something is when you see it, and not when you desperately need it.

Is this the one from up in Sioux City?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

That is the one, had it advertised last year too, but never made contact then. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7013.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1707354

Comment

I sent a PM

Comment

I've got one for sale. 1949 Commander six, 249 cubes. The guy I bought it from said it was rebuilt and only used a few thousand miles before it was removed when the vehicle was hot rodded. It's been in indoor storage since I have had it. $600 and you pick it up in redwood City, CA.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
          X