PDA

View Full Version : Lost a Hub Cap....

Okiejoe86
06-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Drove my Studebaker this morning for a photo shoot in Downtown Tulsa. Somewhere along the way, the good ol' bumpy Oklahoma roads lead to me loosing a hub cap. i drove back over my route 3 times looking for it. No Luck!!! sad day, these things were original hub caps that my grandfather paid good money for.

So if anyone comes across one forsale in Oklahoma... It is probably mine.

On the bright side, the photo shoot was great! I'll post pictures later this week.

-Joe

Mike Sal
06-18-2016, 02:34 PM
in '98, I bought a 1954 Kaiser Manhattan....the only problem was I was in Illinois and it was in Seattle. It was too expensive to have it transported home, so my daughter took the train out & made a vacation out of driving it home, hitting as many of the classic tourist stops along the way. Every evening I would have to re-locate 2 of the wheel covers because they were rotating & putting the valve stem in a real bind. At the time, I didn't realize there were little "tabs" welded on the original wheels to keep the wheel covers from moving. I figure it was a case of radial tires on flimsy original type wheels.....
Mike S

StudeRich
06-18-2016, 03:37 PM
That has probably become someone's really Cool wall hanging by now. :(

57pack
06-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Know the feeling all to well!
I was driving my 1950 Land Cruiser down Main Street in Glassboro NJ.
Heard that familiar sound of a hub cap hitting the pavement and rolling away!
Never did find it! I searched and searched for it, it just disappeared!
Of course the Land Cruiser hub cap was different and I couldn't find a replacement. This is in the pre Internet days. Parts guy at Fortum Motor Co. In Bridgeboro fixed me up with a truck hub cap and clips.

studegary
06-18-2016, 08:03 PM
Having gone through this with wheelcovers, never hub caps, I have discovered that they always travel much further than one would expect. I can not recall ever giving up the search until I found the cover. Of course, you do not want to wait before searching because someone else may find it before you.

dean pearson
06-18-2016, 10:32 PM
Darnit, that's a bummer. If I lived closer I'd walk that three miles for you and I bet I could find it!

Don't give up that it's in the ditch there somewhere.

Peanut loves stretching his legs!

SN-60
06-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Drove my Studebaker this morning for a photo shoot in Downtown Tulsa. Somewhere along the way, the good ol' bumpy Oklahoma roads lead to me loosing a hub cap. i drove back over my route 3 times looking for it. No Luck!!! sad day, these things were original hub caps that my grandfather paid good money for.

So if anyone comes across one forsale in Oklahoma... It is probably mine.

On the bright side, the photo shoot was great! I'll post pictures later this week.

-Joe

No where near as rare as your caps, but I went through the same thing with my '55 Speedster. (The Doctor's Car)...I lost a wire wheel cover center cap on the road.:( ($$$)....That's when I learned to 'glue' them on at three points with a 1/4" strip of clear silicone! :!:

studeclunker
06-19-2016, 10:51 AM
As the kids say now, 'I feel your pain dooooode,' having lost one over the cliff on our driveway. Same thing, the clangity-clang of the wheel cover coming off and then a quick flash and it was gone! My one consolation is that '64 wheel covers are not that hard to find.

41 Frank
06-19-2016, 12:12 PM
I have lost a wheel cover off my '52 Commander but, like SN60, used some clear silicone in several places, where the outer edge of the cover meets the rim, no more problems.

Studebaker Wheel
06-19-2016, 01:12 PM

So if anyone comes across one for sale in Oklahoma... It is probably mine.

-Joe

Is your '40 a President or Commander? I had the caps for the Commander (same as '41 Commander and M Series 1/2 ton tucks) reproduced. Sold them all and then sold the tooling to Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International. They are still available from him at $75 ea.

Okiejoe86
06-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Is your '40 a President or Commander? I had the caps for the Commander (same as '41 Commander and M Series 1/2 ton tucks) reproduced. Sold them all and then sold the tooling to Ed Reynolds at Studebaker International. They are still available from him at $75 ea.

Mine is a President.

Okiejoe86
06-19-2016, 02:00 PM
I have found another set of President hub caps, but the lettering is different. here is a picture of the one I lost. I am still crying....

dean pearson
06-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Still thinking it's there buy the road somewhere! Darnit assemble a search party!

Dean.

Studebaker Wheel
06-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Mine is a President.

FYI the Commander cap is identical to the President with the exception that the word President is not included. In other words they will fit perfectly and look the same with the only difference being the name. Just a thought to have a cap on it while you are looking for the correct one. A set of 4 of the Presidents were sold at the South Bend swap meet in May.

Okiejoe86
06-19-2016, 07:28 PM
still thinking it's there buy the road somewhere! Darnit assemble a search party!

Dean.

call in the hounds!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI the Commander cap is identical to the President with the exception that the word President is not included. In other words they will fit perfectly and look the same with the only difference being the name. Just a thought to have a cap on it while you are looking for the correct one. A set of 4 of the Presidents were sold at the South Bend swap meet in May.

I took the other three off and hung them on the garage wall. Don't want to risk loosing another one. Thanks for the idea about the commander hubs! :!:

Mrs K Corbin
06-20-2016, 07:09 AM
Have you taught Peanut how to Sniff Em Out? LOL

jclary
06-20-2016, 08:40 AM
I have found another set of President hub caps, but the lettering is different. here is a picture of the one I lost. I am still crying....

You think you're cry'n...just think of that poor lonely chrome jewel...all alone...lying face down in a desolate patch of weeds...shimmering...silently awaiting rescue:QQ::(...remember the parable of the ninety and nine!;) Seek ye the lost hubcap of the President!:!::)

Okiejoe86
06-20-2016, 12:07 PM

He can track down a specific brake dust smell when you get him on the trail!!!!!

TWChamp
06-21-2016, 02:08 AM
Years ago I lost a hubcap and turned around at the next intersection. Thinking I remembered the exact place it rolled into the ditch I walked back and forth several times, and still couldn't find it. The next day I went back and expanded my search and found it about a hundred yards away from the area I was searching.

dean pearson
06-21-2016, 11:04 AM

He'd find it without fail if it had a tennis ball attached to it!

Dean.