PDA

View Full Version : Stu Chapman's book - shameless plug

Stu Chapman
06-17-2016, 10:49 AM
As most of you know, in 2009 I wrote a book titled "My Father The Car: Memoirs of my life with Studebaker". The first edition was sold out in late 2011 and a second edition was published in 2012. The second edition is now getting close to being sold out as well.

The Studebaker National Museum has a few copies left, as does the Avanti Owners Association International. Our publisher is now down to less than two dozen copies in stock. We will have to make a decision soon if a third edition should be published and would appreciate comments from Forum members as to sufficient interest.

In the meantime, I do have a few copies available in my personal stock and will bring them to the SDC International Meet in Warwick, Rhode Island. If you are attending the meet and would like a copy, please send me a PM, email, or post on this thread with your Warwick contact information and I'll be happy to oblige. Many thanks for all your support.

Stu Chapman

Commander Eddie
06-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Stu,
I still do not have a copy of your book and would surely like to obtain one. I think that as new people join the hobby and our club there will be continued interest. I would hope that a 3rd edition would be seriously considered.

Scott
06-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Stu, this is the kind of book that belongs in many public libraries. Every public and academic library in South Bend and Hamilton should have a copy for starters. That's not many, but there are potentially hundreds of other potential library purchasers. I already have a copy and it's a great book. If they don't know about your book they won't buy it, though!

Gary1953
06-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I would like to by a book from you at RI. See you there.

8E45E
06-17-2016, 01:07 PM
Stu, this is the kind of book that belongs in many public libraries. Every public and academic library in South Bend and Hamilton should have a copy for starters.

Every library in Canada should have a copy; public, and academic.

Aside from being a huge part of Canadian history, it also exposes some business decisions that originated within Canada that could have changed the outcome of Studebaker's automotive operations.

Craig

r1lark
06-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Got Stu's book when the first edition came out - great read, would recommend it to anyone interested in the latter part of Studebaker production, or anyone interested in Studebaker history.

lschuc
06-17-2016, 03:43 PM
The book is still for sale through the AOAI's online store.

https://www.aoai.org/shop/product.php?productid=20

Bullet
06-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Ditto, I do not have one and want to order, so I vote for another printing!

Mark

Stu Chapman
06-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Stu,
I still do not have a copy of your book and would surely like to obtain one. I think that as new people join the hobby and our club there will be continued interest. I would hope that a 3rd edition would be seriously considered.

Ed, as noted in my post #1, you can order from either AOAI or the Museum. If you're going to Warwick I can accommodate you there.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-17-2016, 04:52 PM
I would like to by a book from you at RI. See you there.

Thank you Gary. PM sent.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Stu, this is the kind of book that belongs in many public libraries. Every public and academic library in South Bend and Hamilton should have a copy for starters. That's not many, but there are potentially hundreds of other potential library purchasers. I already have a copy and it's a great book. If they don't know about your book they won't buy it, though!

Scott and Craig....thank you for the suggestion. I know the Hamilton Public Library has it but that's all that I know of. I'll check with the Museum to determine what arrangements they have made in the U.S. for their books. I'll check with the Hamilton Public Library to see what we can do in Canada.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-17-2016, 05:00 PM
Got Stu's book when the first edition came out - great read, would recommend it to anyone interested in the latter part of Studebaker production, or anyone interested in Studebaker history.

Thank you Paul.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-17-2016, 05:03 PM
Ditto, I do not have one and want to order, so I vote for another printing!

Mark

Mark, you don't have to wait for another printing. As noted in my post #1, you can order from either AOAI or the Museum. If you or a friend are going to Warwick, I can accommodate you there. Send me a PM with contact information.

Stu Chapman

JoeHall
06-17-2016, 05:12 PM
I just ordered a copy from AOAI, and look forward to reading it.
Thanks Much!
Joe H

8E45E
06-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Have you had any new information or clarification since your book was published in 2009? (Example here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?76896-JFK-The-Studebaker-Mercedes-Benz-Connection )

Is there enough new information to warrant updating your book aside from a reprint?

Craig

Stu Chapman
06-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Have you had any new information or clarification since your book was published in 2009? (Example here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?76896-JFK-The-Studebaker-Mercedes-Benz-Connection )

Is there enough new information to warrant updating your book aside from a reprint?

Craig

Craig, updating or adding an addendum on reprinting would largely depend on the size of the print run. If no changes were made then it would be economical for a lower quantity run, say 350 copies. As additions are made either the cost goes up or the quantity has to increase. For example, the original printing run was 1,000 and the second was 350. I have had a few members suggest that some copy could be expanded upon. Anything is possible.

Stu Chapman

ndynis
06-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Stu:
Thanks for the "shameless plug". I have started to buy your book several times but somehow it just never happened. Ordering today. Look forward to a good read.
Nick

ndynis
06-18-2016, 08:55 AM
JUST AN FYI IF YOU ARE BUYING:

I just tried to purchase Stu's book at the Studebaker Museum and it is not listed when you go to "books, video, and stationary". I had to go to AOAI to purchase it.

Stu Chapman
06-18-2016, 06:07 PM
JUST AN FYI IF YOU ARE BUYING:

I just tried to purchase Stu's book at the Studebaker Museum and it is not listed when you go to "books, video, and stationary". I had to go to AOAI to purchase it.

It's there. After accessing the Museum site, click on Museum Store, then click on Books & Video, then click on Books, Video & Stationery, then click on Studebaker History, then scroll down to "My Father The Car". Glad you were able to order it anyway from AOAI. Thanks.

Stu Chapman

Kato
06-19-2016, 10:13 AM
I definitely would like a copy of your book Stu. Will order today and I agree you should seriously consider a reprint. I am a recent Studebaker convert and there will be more in the future who will want to buy your book.

Buzzard
06-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Nick, I was in the Studebaker museum about ten days ago, saw Stu's book but got sidetracked as we left so didn't get it then. I have made other arrangements with Stu seeing as both Stu & I live in Canada.
Hope you enjoy your read.
Happy Father's Day!

Stu Chapman
06-19-2016, 11:45 AM
I definitely would like a copy of your book Stu. Will order today and I agree you should seriously consider a reprint. I am a recent Studebaker convert and there will be more in the future who will want to buy your book.

Kevin, PM sent.

Stu Chapman

Stu Chapman
06-22-2016, 04:06 PM
Thank you to all those members who placed orders through the Museum and AOAI during the past week. I will have a very limited supply of my books with me at the SDC International Meet at Warwick, so please look me up if you wish to obtain a copy.

Stu Chapman

JoeHall
06-22-2016, 05:10 PM
"My Father The Car" arrived in the mail today. As mentioned in post #14 above, I ordered it from AOAI. Order date was the eve of 6/17/16. So order to receipt time was less than five days, to 40160, here in Kentucky.

Glancing through the book, I can tell its gonna be an excellent read.

Thanks for the, "shameless plug" Stu :)