Packard Hawk Owners, a Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk Owners, a Question!

Here's a question for Packard Hawk owners:............I was wondering if the padded exterior armrests unique to Packard Hawks are functional....that is, do they provide added arm comfort when one is driving with the windows cranked down and with his/her arm resting on the door?

OR, were they put there just for a 'unique decoration?

Today was a gorgeous day here in Boston, and I decided to drive my Speedster (The Doctor's Car) to work. Coming home it was quite warm and, resting my arm on that chrome plated die cast belt moulding was, in fact, anything but comfortable!

Did Studebaker-Packard experience this problem in '57 and decide to do something about it on the rather expensive 1958 Packard Hawk?..(I never drove one of those babies)

Not an owner, but I have worked on and driven Packard Hawks. To me, and my understanding, the exterior vinyl (not leather) "arm rests" are not really functional or comfortable. I believe that it was just a styling item to be different.

Also, I do not believe in driving with your arm there, especailly since my cousin lost her left arm that way when she was sideswiped by a dump truck.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Personally, I enjoy having my elbow out the window, resting on the vinyl. The vinyl does get warm, but nothing like chrome! It is very comfortable. Come to Colorado and we will go for a ride!
      Carey
      Packard Hawk

Comment

Can't comment Ed, never driven the car!
        Brian Greenall
        Melbourne, OZ
        sigpic

Comment

It's all in how and if the window stop on the window regulator is adjusted. The top of the stainless window frame has to be flush or slightly lower than the top of the padding to utilize it well. Also if you have a late addition Packard Hawk the stainless trim outside the padding can get pretty warm too!.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
            Can't comment Ed, never driven the car!
            Really Brian?...You haven't driven that beeeeeeuuuuutiful Packard Hawk yet?

Comment

I have two Packard Hawks, one which I drive often and one close to being finished. I REALLY enjoy sticking my arm out the window and the padded arm rest is just the right size and height for me. I get many comments at shows on it, and I believe it REALLY adds to the luxurious fit and finish of this top of the line model. I love the smell of leather in the Packard Hawks and Speedsters. I am considering finishing my 1957 Golden Hawk in a white Packard Hawk leather interior, which I understand is identical to the 400 except for the exterior padding. Ask the man who owns one! (where have I heard that before?)

Comment

55S, I am about to restore a 57 Golden hawk and I do own a Packard Hawk with a WHITE leather interior.
                But I don't think you could go past this factory 57 GH interior combo! Of course outside colour can govern the interior colour too.

Ed , I hope I didn't rob your posting!
                Brian Greenall
                Melbourne, OZ
                sigpic

Comment

55S, I am about to restore a 57 Golden hawk and I do own a Packard Hawk with a WHITE leather interior.
                  But I don't think you could go past this factory 57 GH interior combo! Of course outside colour can govern the interior colour too.

Ed , I hope I didn't rob your posting!

Nope, no problem Brian,...that is a super nice interior shot....it's a 1958 GH interior isn't it?

Comment

No 57 Ed, I have the same interior for my new GH project that my buddy collected all the parts for as well as this interior scheme which is factory for the car.
                    Brian Greenall
                    Melbourne, OZ
                    sigpic

Comment

Question on the white leather interior: Are those cloth inserts? (I have a similar interior already and it is vinyl and cloth.) I would like to go with all leather. I would also change the door panels to the Packard Hawk type with the built in interior door handles.

Comment

Paul, those are 57 GH interior with cloth inserts and white vinyl.
                        The PH in my signature has a white leather interior .
                        Check your PM's.
                        Brian Greenall
                        Melbourne, OZ
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi, Just been looking at your photo bucket pics - what a great restoration job. Out of interest, which Packard Hawk was restored as you have a shot of two P/Hawks both needing some work. The other question I have relates to the trunk mat - what is the fabric? Did you stitch to fit... or did you purchase like that?
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Richard, the Jewel Beige car is a separate car to the ones on the trailer, I purchased those cars only last year.
                            The beige car I have had for 7 years.
                            the trunk material I purchased from SMS auto fabrics and had my trimmer sow it up from the original patterns I had with the car.
                            I have a lot of Packard Hawk parts if you need any.
                            Brian Greenall
                            Melbourne, OZ
                            sigpic

Comment

Richard, the Jewel Beige car is a separate car to the ones on the trailer, I purchased those cars only last year.
                              The beige car I have had for 7 years.
                              the trunk material I purchased from SMS auto fabrics and had my trimmer sow it up from the original patterns I had with the car.
                              I have a lot of Packard Hawk parts if you need any.
                              All I can say is........."Dig that boot"!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X