Heater Fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Fan?

I pulled the heater fan and housing from under the right fender today. There was about 5-10 lbs of caked mud on the unit. When I got the mud off all that was left was a ball of rust.[xx(] The whole unit is welded together with rust. Has any one deleated the fan unit and pluged the holes in the top of the right side vent as well as the vent going into the heater? What did you use? The heater puts out enough heat, when on, without the fan.
    I remember seeing a unit on E-bay about a week ago. Don't know what it sold for.

John Ratliff

I should have a few assemblies as do many of us, why not buy a used one ?

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

It wouldn't be difficult to replace it. As John indicated, used parts are available. SASCO still lists the motors NOS, the vent assemblies are reproduced and the duct is available.

You indicate the heat is sufficient without the blower. In Cloverdale that may be true. Of course, the air to the heat core is ducted from the fender through the duct under the floor. If you block it off you will only have radiant heat. Even in Pennsylvania winters, once mine is up to temperature, I can shut off the blower and have sufficient heat from the air forced through the duct from the vent. Eliminating the duct means no heat flow. Eliminate the motor if you want but keep the duct.

Then there were all those Studes sold to southern climes that had no heater at all; not even a core.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

John,
        Do you have a used blower motor for a 62GT? How much?

Comment

When I was truck shopping, I noted that there were a few Transtars around that did not have the Climatizer option... I was certainly glad I got a truck with it! If you are ever contemplating selling your Stude, it's a desireable option for most places on this continent. Got a battery hold down too!

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

John, I need one for a '56 Power Hawk
            quote:Originally posted by JDP

I should have a few assemblies as do many of us, why not buy a used one ?

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,439.30
            63 Lark 2 door
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

John Ratliff

Comment

John - Here is an NOS fan assembly that was just listed on eBay

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil
              Arnold, Missouri

Studebaker Fever
              60 Lark
              56 Power Hawk
              Phil Hendrickson
              Arnold, Missouri

Comment

I checked, looks like I only shot GT Hawk in the head, no early blowers.

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,439.30
                63 Lark 2 door
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I have a question. Many, many York's ago I was outside and a fellow came over to me, very upset. He just paid $45 for a heater motor and someone told him that the motor he bought is ALL WRONG, he got one that ran "clockwise" and that he needed a "counter clockwise" motor.

I had never heard such a thing....... has anyone else? I told him to reverse the wires.

Comment

Motors come cw, ccw, and reversible. As if there is more than one
                    rotation used on Studebaker, Don't know.

Comment

Mark; what the heck is that big silver monster under that hood? Sure does look like an air conditioning compressor to me! [:0] That would be the first "C" cab I ever heard of with one. I don't think Studebaker even offered one. [:0]

A Truck with air, that would be pretty special! Especially in CANADA!

Even though it is GREEN, I guess it is not yours, because this one is a V-8, and I am pretty sure yours is a Big 6.

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To add to the insanity, I had to replace a heater motor in my Lark. The blower motor was not used for some time(ok maybe a few months since the springtime[)].. Well I found a dead skunk in the road one day so I needed to air the car out. Flip it on and the motor wouldn't turn. Okay, later on I replace the motor only to find the motor in the Lark, which is the one that installs in the bottom of the heater on the passenger side had no holes. Whatever water that would come in would collect in the base of the heater core where the motor resided and rust out the motor mounting point, shaft, and bushings which fused the motor together!! Luckily, the replacement had some holes which allowed the water to drip through rather than collect on top of the motor. I'd call it ventilated vs. non ventilated, lol.
                        Considering my model train hobby, I have never heard of DC motors with a polaritiy like that of diodes(run one direction, don't run the other direction), where they have CW and CCW. They might be wired to where when they plug in with the relative wires on the harness they might operate CW or CCW Usually though, in the case of CW and CCW, I just flip the wires. IE I'd think they would run in either direction depending on how they're wired.
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Not all dc motors act as your model train motors. Depends on internal wiring. Heater motors are cataloged by rotation and voltage.Some are
                          reversible, some are not. If it has an external ground wire it can usually be reversed. My 56Gh has power windows. The motor has two
                          wires but they are not reversed by switching wires. One wire is up and the other is down. A simple dc motor with permanent magnets and insulated brushes with external pigtails can be reversed by switching wires, but not all are built that way.

Comment

Working...
                          X