Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which to install first? Windshield or dash panel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which to install first? Windshield or dash panel.

Ladies & Gentlemen:

The dash is about ready to go back in the '55 President State Sedan. I am thinking I should install the windshield first. It would keep any mess with sealants, etc. off the dash. Can you think of an reason this plan of action will not work?

Thank you,
    Charlie D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6643.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1751170

You have one of the most beautiful dashes I have ever seen. I can't think of any reason to install the dash first.
    My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
    sigpic
    Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
    in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

Windshield, most defiantly.
      It'll make the lower portion of the windshield install much easier...(pulling the rope thru).
      Much less cleanup also.

Mike

Comment

I would go for the windshield first. It gives you unencumbered access to the windshield opening. Either way, your biggest challenge will be installing the garnish moldings, without scratching the dash. Scratching a dash is repairable...but cracking a windshield is a bit more serious.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Concur with installing the windshield first. C/K windshield installs are a simple fast task and you can do such alone. But definitely get assistance with the dash... You don't want to scratch or dent that purdy thang...

Comment

Asked the same question about my Wagonaire.
            Definitely went with windshield install first, then installed dashboard. I was worried about poking a hole in my nice dash pad.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Charlie, that dash looks awesome. I installed my dash first and then the windshield later. Having done that, I would recommend installing the windshield first. I did my dash first to get the car running so I could move it around as needed long before I ever painted it.

Wayne
              Wayne
              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I'll order up a new windshield gasket. I am in the process of color sanding the front and rear fenders, the hood and rear deck. A couple of the guys from the Northeast Okla. SDC club will come over when that is done to help me reinstall them on the body. Quite a bit of work went into the dash.

Charlie D.

Comment

Working...
                X