PDA

View Full Version : Late Turning Wheels?????

jclary
06-14-2016, 08:43 PM
I know there was an earlier thread, about the June Turning Wheels. Much earlier...like last month!:rolleyes: Usually, I try to be patient, and understanding regarding the huge effort it takes to gather the content, edit, print it, and get it mailed. After a few days of folks commenting on the great content, I began to anticipate the arrival of my copy. I usually get mine before the first of the month, or, at least the fifth of the current month. This month, however, I've been so busy with my garden, and animals, that I had completely forgotten about the magazine.

Today, after working in 95 degree weather, rebuilding a chicken coup, constructing nests, feeders, etc., at about 3PM, exhausted, I shoved my tools into the barn floor, closed the doors, and made my way into the house for an overdue shower. As I entered the house, my wife informed me that she had prepared a few treats and a meal that we needed to deliver to my mom at the nursing home.

By the time we returned from the nursing home, some pretty aggressive thunderstorms came rolling in. It was about dark when my wife asked if I had brought in the mail? Shucks...I had forgotten all about that, which is unusual for me. So, I go to the mailbox, and there it is!!! Half a month later than usual, my June Turning Wheels.:!: And, I don't think I can stay awake long enough to read it tonight.:QQ::(:p

Is there a logical reason it's so late? Have others experienced similar delays for this month?:confused:

I think of all the hard work Stu Chapman did last year. Studying and keeping up with deliveries worldwide. Things seemed to improve. I hope this is not the start of a trend.:ohmy:

Stu Chapman
06-14-2016, 09:05 PM
Hey John, we received our June issue in Canada today also.

Stu Chapman

Sam Ensley
06-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Mine was late this month also.

studegary
06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
Yours must have gotten "hung up" in the US Mail somewhere. I received my June issue on May 31.

I received my May issue on May 11. It was the May issue and not the June issue that I had started a prior thread/topic on. I never did get an answer as to when it was mailed and why it was late.

EDIT: I can not understand delivering a meal to a nursing home. Both nursing homes that Cathy and my father were in served good nutritious meals with a choice of entrees and accommodations for special needs (they should for what they charge).

Warren Webb
06-15-2016, 01:56 AM
Last year I was having problems for my copy to arrive sometimes 3 months late but the past few months have arrived a couple of days from others in Calif. I hope I haven't tempted the gods of the U.S. Mail by saying this !

BobPalma
06-15-2016, 06:15 AM
:) 'Probably an anomaly, John. They've been arriving on time here in central Indiana ever since that burp last year, which seemed to be nationwide. :cool: BP

Mrs K Corbin
06-15-2016, 06:58 AM
mine is late as well.

jclary
06-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Yours must have gotten "hung up" in the US Mail somewhere. I received my June issue on May 31.

I received my May issue on May 11. It was the May issue and not the June issue that I had started a prior thread/topic on. I never did get an answer as to when it was mailed and why it was late.

EDIT: I can not understand delivering a meal to a nursing home. Both nursing homes that Cathy and my father were in served good nutritious meals with a choice of entrees and accommodations for special needs (they should for what they charge).

Gary, although I have never seen a "perfect" nursing home, this particular one is the best I've encountered, so far. Instead of a large institutional looking structure, it is a series of "Cottages," with only 12 residents in private rooms. The caregiver to patient ratio is much better too.

This facility has a full time dietician, and they offer alternatives to foods patients don't like, or refuse to eat. Although Mom is 95, she is alert, knowledgeable, and regrets that her physical limitations make her dependent on others. While she is surrounded by other elders who have lost much of their mental capacities, she has little tolerance for family, or staff, condescendingly, speaking to her, or treating her, as if she has lost her faculties. In fact, when she first moved to this facility, one of the first things she had me do, is help her get registered to vote in this county.

"Delivering" the meal has very little to do with the quality of the food. But, along with a home cooked meal, I am doing my best to deliver love, respect, and comfort to the person who devoted the very essence of her youth, doing the same for my brothers/sisters, and myself. After years of day/night care to raise the six children she birthed, three more adopted, and untold hours of volunteer community service, she deserves "special" attention.:)

:) 'Probably an anomaly, John. They've been arriving on time here in central Indiana ever since that burp last year, which seemed to be nationwide. :cool: BP

Bob..."anomaly"...at least this time, and, hopefully will not become the "Norm.";)

packard352
06-15-2016, 07:41 AM
I'm just happy mine arrived yesterday... in the UK!

8E45E
06-15-2016, 08:25 AM
"Delivering" the meal has very little to do with the quality of the food. But, along with a home cooked meal, I am doing my best to deliver love, respect, and comfort to the person who devoted the very essence of her youth, doing the same for my brothers/sisters, and myself. After years of day/night care to raise the six children she birthed, three more adopted, and untold hours of volunteer community service, she deserves "special" attention.

Gary doesn't understand because he doesn't have kids or grandkids.

Craig

jclary
06-15-2016, 09:38 AM
My response to Gary's post was not intended to disparage Gary. But, as much of our internet communication is subject to "misinterpretation,":( it was meant to expand, explain, and hopefully, clarify my motives. For all of us, how we express our compassion, is shaped by our experience. We handle it differently due to our level of insight, and what our totality of "life experience" has given us. No two are alike. My intent, was to provide a little "backdrop," of my day, and the length of the delay of receiving my Turning Wheels, had impacted me. I went from anticipation, to disappointment,:QQ: to giving up/forgetting, to a pleasant surprise:) when it finally did arrive.

2moredoors
06-15-2016, 07:33 PM
I received my Turning Wheels today, later than anticipated. I know that Stu worked hard last year to ascertain delivery times, I worked with Stu and he did a great job of informing the membership of shipping times etc. We now have no one performing this task and when things are delayed for various reasons we are not informed. It is the lack of information not the delivery date. Our TWs for the most part are on time. It is those times they are late without an explanation that is frustrating. Perhaps someone in the know could inform us of delays. Unless contacted by the board I am unwilling to contact the printer as to his time of receipt and shipping date as I did for well over one year. As I stated before Stu did a great job of informing the membership. If no one informs Stu he cannot pass along the message.

studegary
06-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Gary doesn't understand because he doesn't have kids or grandkids.

Craig

That has nothing to do with it and I think that your comment is uncalled for. John C. was very politely answering my comment. John referenced a child doing for his parents as they did for him (not for a parent doing for his children or grandchildren). I can certainly understand that as I had aged parents including my father that went into a nursing home when he was 101. I visited him nearly every day, but did not feel a need to deliver food to him (other things, yes). Just this year, my wife, Cathy, has been in two different nursing homes. My father in law and aunt were also in nursing homes for years. What is the extent of your first hand experience with nursing homes?

8E45E
06-15-2016, 10:36 PM
I visited him nearly every day, but did not feel a need to deliver food to him (other things, yes). Just this year, my wife, Cathy, has been in two different nursing homes. My father in law and aunt were also in nursing homes for years. What is the extent of your first hand experience with nursing homes?

Back in the 1970's, my great-grandmother was in a nursing home. She had more than adequate care while she was there, and according to her, the food served was 'very good', but not much in variety. Therefore, she did appreciate some home-cooked Ukrainian food once in a while from the children of a former neighbor of hers, and my mom always sent her baked goods at Xmas.

Your comment implies it is an 'insult' to the nursing home staff when you show up with your own food, which it not.

Craig

41 Frank
06-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Info I have is that the June issue was received by the printer on 5/11/16 and mailed on 5/25/16. Manufacturing time the past 12 months has ranged from 7-11 days from receipt.

Frank van Doorn
Director

I received my Turning Wheels today, later than anticipated. I know that Stu worked hard last year to ascertain delivery times, I worked with Stu and he did a great job of informing the membership of shipping times etc. We now have no one performing this task and when things are delayed for various reasons we are not informed. It is the lack of information not the delivery date. Our TWs for the most part are on time. It is those times they are late without an explanation that is frustrating. Perhaps someone in the know could inform us of delays. Unless contacted by the board I am unwilling to contact the printer as to his time of receipt and shipping date as I did for well over one year. As I stated before Stu did a great job of informing the membership. If no one informs Stu he cannot pass along the message.

studegary
06-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Your comment implies it is an 'insult' to the nursing home staff when you show up with your own food, which it not.

Craig

I do not know how you got that out of what I wrote. It certainly was not what I was stating. I was primarily asking the reason why ( I said "that I could not understand it").

studegary
06-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Info I have is that the June issue was received by the printer on 5/11/16 and mailed on 5/25/16. Manufacturing time the past 12 months has ranged from 7-11 days from receipt.

Frank van Doorn
Director

Thanks Frank. The mailing was ten days late. It looks like the delay was primarily with the printer and not the Editor. IIRC, Good Printers had a much faster turn around than this 14 days (two weeks).

EDIT: I have received further information that indicates some of the lateness was on the part of each party, the Editor and the printer.
As with many things, some information helps in many cases. If the mailing date is posted on the SDC Forum each month, we will know in advance when to expect TW.

SC38DLS
06-16-2016, 07:39 PM
Don't forget the USPS has up to 10 working days to deliver a "periodical rated" piece of mail once it arrives in the local sorting center. Still beats the rest of the worlds delivery records.

Tiggum
06-17-2016, 09:01 AM
As of today (June 17th) I have no June issue. Hope that it arrives this afternoon or tomorrow so that I can read it over the weekend.

As to the minor misunderstanding over the nursing home comment, everyone needs to chill out just a bit. What I read was about a dutiful son bringing his Mom some food from home, which is part of maintaining a tie with the family. This is a thoughtful and caring way to say that the family still cares, even though the no longer can meet the almost constant care needs of the elderly (it's a tough spot to be in for the children as well as the parents; think about it!). As a relatively new member here I have noticed a lot of contention over "issues" which are really not, and a lot of really rude exchanges. The ongoing (for how long now.....months!) exchange over classification of R-3 and R-4 cars being the most egregious of late. My solution is to mind the manners we were all taught by our parents. Nuf said.

Tiggum
06-28-2016, 03:08 PM
June 28, 2016............my June 2016 Turning Wheels arrived today (!)

jclary
06-28-2016, 03:14 PM
June 28, 2016............my June 2016 Turning Wheels arrived today (!)

My JULY 2016 arrived today!!!!!! :!:

In consideration of last months late hiccup, and the fact that this month is the International Meet...I think getting it out this early must have been a yeoman effort.:!:

Tiggum
06-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Then I'd better read this June issue in a hurry (positive thinking).

SC38DLS
06-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Mine arrived yesterday in central KY

Bullet
06-28-2016, 09:15 PM
Received my July copy today in SoCal Thousand Oaks

Mark

JRoberts
06-28-2016, 09:28 PM
Got my July issue today as well.

1954khardtop
06-29-2016, 05:37 AM
Anxiously awaiting my July issue, friends tell me some pictures I submitted are in it! I'm leaving for Warwick in an hour, so I guess I'll have to wait 'til I get back to see it.

Mrs K Corbin
06-29-2016, 06:46 AM
heck I think I missed the June issue!
And here it's July!

Tiggum
06-29-2016, 07:45 AM
June is easy to spot........the cover has a '57 Golden Hawk, painted solid white except for the fin coves, which are red. Beautiful car!

Silverplate
06-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Got my July issue yesterday!

06-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Just got my July issue today at 25405 and it wasn't even bent.

BILT4ME
06-29-2016, 12:40 PM
If July is the 60 Red Lark on the cover, I got mine yesterday! (I just re-joined after a 12 year hiatus....) Got set up in early May so I could've had my Member list before I went on Power Tour. (It arrived while we were gone....)

Mrs K Corbin
06-30-2016, 06:39 AM
Just got my June Yesterday! LOL

bison
07-01-2016, 04:13 AM
Well my regular mailman is on vacation and his temporary replacement .....well i just hope it has not been delivered yet because if it says DO NOT BEND on it , i know this guy will try to cram , it ,everything and the kitchen sink into the mail slot in our house and i will be left with nothing but a ripped piece of plastic, some shredded pictures of some nice looking cars ,pieces of confetti that use to be a turning wheels magazine and one complete , seemingly untouched piece of 11" x 9" paper that has the words DO NOT BEND printed on it.

1954khardtop
07-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Mine came Wednesday, after I left for Warwick. I got back a little while ago, and got to see it.
Nice pictures of my car with the fall colors in the background. I submitted them last fall, and Ann told me they weren't high enough resolution for a cover. She gave me some good pointers and encouraged me to try again, and I forgot all about them. I'm glad she thought they were good enough to share.

Stu Chapman
07-04-2016, 03:22 PM
It's the 4th of July and our July issue arrived today in Canada. That's about as early as I can remember. We must have a replacement postman today though. He didn't bend it but he folded it. Guess he doesn't read well. The Canada Post staff are threatening a strike this week, so perhaps that's his reason for not following delivery instructions.

Stu Chapman

Mrs K Corbin
07-05-2016, 06:50 AM
WOW I think everybody got them on the 28th! Mine was in the mail around the First of July!

Tiggum
07-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Well, folks, here we go again........it is now July 14th, and my July issue has yet to appear here in Nashville. Wonder why Mrs K Corbin's issue arrived around the first of July and mine has not, yet we are both from Middle Tennessee? And by the way, when my June issue arrived on the 28th, it was pristine, not bent and in an intact sealed wrapper, so it didn't appear to have made a "side trip". Puzzled.

Mrs K Corbin
07-15-2016, 06:45 AM
My July issue hasn't arrived, it's the June issue that arrived about the 4th....

8E45E
07-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. Picked it up from the mailbox this morning on my way to work, and will start reading it at lunchtime.

Craig

Mrs K Corbin
07-18-2016, 07:26 AM
got mine saturday as well.... Hmmm

Stu Chapman
07-18-2016, 09:29 AM
got mine saturday as well.... Hmmm

In your case that has to be a U.S. Postal Service problem.

Stu Chapman

Mrs K Corbin
07-19-2016, 06:59 AM
pretty sure you're right!

rkapteyn
07-19-2016, 08:12 AM
That has nothing to do with it and I think that your comment is uncalled for. John C. was very politely answering my comment. John referenced a child doing for his parents as they did for him (not for a parent doing for his children or grandchildren). I can certainly understand that as I had aged parents including my father that went into a nursing home when he was 101. I visited him nearly every day, but did not feel a need to deliver food to him (other things, yes). Just this year, my wife, Cathy, has been in two different nursing homes. My father in law and aunt were also in nursing homes for years. What is the extent of your first hand experience with nursing homes?

My dream has always been that we could built a Studebaker community with a nursing home so that when we have to go there ,we will be with car people when we grow old and can talk with our friends and not have to play Canasta.

Robert Kapteyn

jclary
07-19-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm always amazed at how some subjects, on this forum, hit a nerve and take on a life of their own. Others, garner little interest and fizzle. I started this thread back in June. My attention was merely regarding the "June" issue of Turning Wheels. I probably shouldn't be, but I'm surprised at the response. One personal benefit, for me, is that as folks have kept the thread going, it has prompted me to remember to send my renewal "On Time," this year.;) So...the old familiar saying..."The Check's in the mail!":)

I would, however, like to offer the following. I have been a member for over 40 years. Of all the organizations I have been a member of, Boy Scouts, English Shepherd club, various equestrian clubs, Veterans organizations, and many others...absolutely no other organization has been as dependable and consistent as the SDC. That also includes the Turning Wheels Publication!:!:

So, I want anyone reading this to know, even when we encounter a "hiccup," here and there, it is intended as a "constructive." Also, as a "caution," to guard against complacency...That could lead to a decline in value and performance. We all have a responsibility and investment in it's continued success.:)

Tiggum
07-19-2016, 01:14 PM
My July issue arrived on the 15th............I wonder what the deal is; In the recent past it has been arriving in the early part of the month just as regular as clockwork.

Stu Chapman
07-19-2016, 03:22 PM
My July issue arrived on the 15th............I wonder what the deal is; In the recent past it has been arriving in the early part of the month just as regular as clockwork.

Seems to be a USPS problem in your area. Have you talked to your local postmaster?

Stu Chapman

Colgate Studebaker
07-19-2016, 08:26 PM
When I see a post by Mr. John Clary, I open and read it, no matter what the content. Why? John writes some of the most interesting and thought provoking posts on this forum, with respect and good will always at it's heart. I'm glad that the late arrival issue has righted itself, and that everyone is again living in pleasant Studedom. Bill