PDA

View Full Version : What are all the knobs?

Bmallett
06-13-2016, 10:07 PM
I have a 1950 Champion and I am trying to figure out what all the pull switches on the dash are. Here's what I think they are, at least from what I can tell.

W - Water? Is this for the water flow for the heater?

H - Heater? Fan level?

Start - I know the starter level. ;)

D - ???

A - I would think Air, but no air. ???

IL - Interior Lights or Instrument Lights?

L - Lights

Thanks for the help guys. I'm slowly understanding it all. ;)

fiveftsix
06-13-2016, 10:41 PM
First is correct, second (H) is for the hood.
Third maybe correct if it`s an auto otherwise it would have a button on the floor by the clutch pedal.
D is for defroster/demister
A is for the heater or air blower
IL, is for instrument lights if pulled out to first detente or out to second will bring on the interior and map light too
L, lights first detente markers second headlights
Geoff

jclary
06-13-2016, 11:18 PM
We, on the forum, try to help when we can. However, not all of us have '50 Champions, and a lot who do own them, don't participate on the forum. But, the best tip I can offer is to let you know that our Studebaker vendors, and Ebay offer original owners manuals. Also, if you plan to keep the car, shop manuals, chassis manuals, and body manuals are available. You can get them in print and on CD's. About the best money you could ever spend on a car you plan to keep and enjoy.

Bmallett
06-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Ha!!! Good. Oops. I knew that one. lol

Thanks Geoff. Yes. It's an auto. Which brings me to another question though. The linkage was disconnected when I got the car. I reconnected it and it now kicks into low gear like it should. How would I tell if this is an overdrive transmission? The tag is a Borg-Warner DG-150. I haven't been able to pull a lot of info on it though.

thanks again for the switch info.

Bmallett
06-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Hey John,

thanks. I have a shop manual I ordered, but it didn't have the switch info. The switches that were being called out in the schematics were generic. Maybe you I missed something though. I'm looking into getting an original owner's manual next.

fiveftsix
06-13-2016, 11:52 PM
As far as I know the DG150 wasn`t fitted in Champions till 54
But the DG200 was
They are three band auto transmissions.
The shop manual isn`t very helpful on details like switches
You really need to get all of the manuals if possible
The shop manual,body manual and the chassis manual.
Studebaker had some strange ways of doing things !!!
Bit like me when I think of it !!! LOL

You can buy the body parts manual but not find out things like the front clip or fenders,grill etc
You`ll find that in the chassis parts manual ?????
Now are you understanding why you need them all !!!!!
And for a description of the controls well those you are informed about in the owners manual !!!
They are all available from various vendors some original and some reprints that are in the lists on this forum and you can also obtain them cheaper in CD format too
Geoff

55 56 PREZ 4D
06-14-2016, 01:49 AM
The vendors would be your most reliable source for the manuals and catalogs but they are also available on ebay.
http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Bmallett
06-14-2016, 07:33 AM
As far as I know the DG150 wasn`t fitted in Champions till 54
But the DG200 was
They are three band auto transmissions.
Geoff

Hey Geoff,

I am trying to figure this car out more. Supposedly, the original family purchased the car new. It was a 3rd generation when I purchased it because he wasn't in a position to return it to shape. The original purchaser was an amputee and had to have an automatic. The serial number on the PO matches that on the transmission, so I am fairly certain that the transmission is original. However, the motor has a different number. (Which sucks for me because that is what the car was titled under in Arkansas and I am in Oklahoma. VIN verification is a PITA since it was listed under the original engine number even though all the other numbers match the PO)

I found information about the DG-200 a LOT, but the 150 seems to be pretty thin. :(

Bmallett
06-14-2016, 07:34 AM
Here's my PO... (Don't know if this helps or not)

swvalcon
06-14-2016, 08:43 AM
For what the controls are and things like that you need to get a owner manual just like you have on your newer brand x.

RadioRoy
06-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Ha!!! Good. Oops. I knew that one. lol

Thanks Geoff. Yes. It's an auto. Which brings me to another question though. The linkage was disconnected when I got the car. I reconnected it and it now kicks into low gear like it should. How would I tell if this is an overdrive transmission? The tag is a Borg-Warner DG-150. I haven't been able to pull a lot of info on it though.

thanks again for the switch info.

The Studebaker automatic transmission does not have an overdrive. Top gear is straight through, input speed is the same as output speed, just like other automatic transmissions of the day. It does have a locking torque converter, though, so there is no slippage or loss of output RPM once the converter lock engages.

Overdrives on automatic transmissions did not appear until some time in the late 70's or early 80's, long after Studebakers were ancient history.

fiveftsix
06-14-2016, 02:38 PM
It looks like your going to have to put a fifth manual on your want list, the Automatic Transmission Preliminary Shop Manual !!!
As no doubt you`ve found no information about auto`s in the 50 Shop Manual. ;o(
Geoff

greyben
06-14-2016, 04:18 PM
And since it's an automatic I think a supplemental owner's manual was provided to cover operation of the automatic.

Corvanti
06-14-2016, 05:09 PM
i have a '51 Champion with an automatic transmission. it's a DG-150 and starts out in 2nd gear. i believe it is the original trans for the '51 and the '50. somebody please let us know if this is not "correct".

my best guess is that a P.O. sometime in the past 66 years replaced the original trans in your '50 with the DG-200. another question for the transmission experts: did the DG-200 originally have 1st gear start in Studebakers so equipped from the factory?

Bmallett
06-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Corvanti, mine used to start in 2nd gear as well. I lifted it and found that the linkage rod had stripped out. I unbolted the adjuster and spun it on good to the rod. Then I pulled it back to the connection pin and put the bolt back through. There were multiple rods. Not sure if that will help yours or not, but that solved my 2nd gear issues and allowed it to properly kick down a gear too when needed.

Bmallett
06-14-2016, 08:07 PM
RadioRoy,

saying that hat the Studebaker transmission didn't come with an overdrive and that they didn't exist until the 70's is confusing to say the least...

History and operation of the Borg-Warner Overdrive TransmissionThe B-W OD transmission originated during the 1930s to solve a number of problems that existed on cars at that time. It uses a freewheeling clutch that began life in the 1920s and later added a planetary gear set (operated as a purely mechanical device in the early 30s) and eventually finalized the design by using electrical components to operate the system by the late 1930s. Most every automotive manufacture offered the B-W OD set up as an option on their cars at one time during their production life.
Manufacturers who focused their marketing toward operating economy were all heavy promoters of the B-W overdrive. Studebaker probably made more OD-equipped vehicles than anybody. Other AMC marques (Hudson, Rambler, Nash) were also big users. Ford first offered the Borg-Warner OD on Lincoln Zephyrs beginning in 1941. Fords and Mercurys received the B-W OD as an option in 1949 and the F-series trucks got OD for 1953. (Before 1941 & 1949 Ford, Lincoln & Mercury used a two speed axle to lower engine revolutions – The Columbia axle - not discussed here).

1954khardtop
06-14-2016, 08:19 PM
I believe Roy is saying the AUTOMATIC transmission didn't come with overdrive, not the manual.

fiveftsix
06-14-2016, 10:50 PM
i have a '51 Champion with an automatic transmission. it's a DG-150 and starts out in 2nd gear. i believe it is the original trans for the '51 and the '50. somebody please let us know if this is not "correct".

my best guess is that a P.O. sometime in the past 66 years replaced the original trans in your '50 with the DG-200. another question for the transmission experts: did the DG-200 originally have 1st gear start in Studebakers so equipped from the factory?

Now that`s interesting, I gleaned my quote via the SI catalogue which stated the DG150 was fitted to 54 Champions and that it was the DG200 that was fitted to a 50 Champion on page 244 of the auto trans section????
Typo error ???
Geoff

RadioRoy
06-15-2016, 12:29 AM
I believe Roy is saying the AUTOMATIC transmission didn't come with overdrive, not the manual.

Yup. That's what i said.

rockne10
06-15-2016, 02:17 PM
The DG150 is a light duty transmission first offered in the 1950 Champion. The DG200 was first offered in the 1950 Commander.