No announcement yet.

Auto trans options for a 245 commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto trans options for a 245 commander?

At 6'4" my long legs have a hard time working the clutch pedal. Thinking of going with an auto trans for my 2R11. What trans will work with a 245
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Take a good look at the engine bell housing interface. Or take a pic. of it and post here. If you have a 1/4" or 5/16" support plate and the starter is low on the drivers side, you can use one of the GM trans adapters.

Comment

Alan, Are you sure?????????? If you can do that, Lots of us would have already done that. Automatic for a 245 is rare.

Comment

That support plate is as rare as R3 heads.

Comment

Oh, no. Don't get them started. I'm so tired of R-3, R-4 threads and the same comments from all the usual suspects that I could just spit. Tom

Comment

I haven't done it or checked it out, but it seems to me that an AT from a 1950 Commander or Land Cruiser would be the easiest to install.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
              Oh, no. Don't get them started. I'm so tired of R-3, R-4 threads and the same comments from all the usual suspects that I could just spit. Tom
              Uh-oh!......MORE twisted panties!

Comment

Why couldn't he use the Studebaker "DG Automatic Drive" transmission on his "big" six"?

Comment

Only a 1950 Commander with the excellent Detroit gear transmission was used with the 245 commander engines.
                  If you an get a 1950 Commander automatic parts car take the whole drive train.
                  Many parts such as bell housing, steering column and torque converter are one year only.
                  The good part is that you can leave it 6 volt.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                  X