PDA

View Full Version : chrome valve covers

leonard
06-10-2016, 05:52 PM
HI, I think this is the first time I'm back since my accident mothers day, my family and I are still banged up,but we are doing the bestwe can. anyways I'm looking for a pair of chrome valve covers for my 289v/8 64 cruiser,any suggestions. thanks in advance. leonard.

studegary
06-10-2016, 06:05 PM
I am glad that you are all on the road to recovery.

In another recent post, someone had chrome valve covers on a 289 that they wanted to replace with painted covers. Perhaps you can perform a trade that would benefit you both or just purchase his. (I'll leave it to you, or someone else [Craig] to search out that topic/thread.

DEEPNHOCK
06-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Give Jerry Forrester a call... He usually has a pair hanging around.

Forrester's Chrome For-Street  
Plating Service
Address: 3990 Bankhead Hwy, Douglasville, GA 30134
Phone:(770) 949-8942

289stude
06-10-2016, 08:17 PM
He did all my R1 stuff looks great.

leonard
06-10-2016, 09:16 PM
thanks,i will call him tomorrow. leonard

Deaf Mute
06-10-2016, 09:42 PM
There were two sets for sale at the Upper Mississippi Valley Zone Meet in Kansas City last weekend, but I don't know who had them. Perhaps someone here does.

sals54
06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
Personally, I like the mid 50s valve covers in chrome a lot better than the later style used on the R1/R2.

spokejr
06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Leonard,

How nice of chrome do want? I have a pair of the earlier type (without vents and four bolts) that are, let's just say "patinated". I would let these go cheap if you are interested.

Ken Buchanan

leonard
06-11-2016, 12:12 AM
thanks spokejr,have only 2 studs sticking up,i want good grade of chrome covers.leonard

41 Frank
06-11-2016, 09:54 AM
That was Myron Macdonald from Missouri.

There were two sets for sale at the Upper Mississippi Valley Zone Meet in Kansas City last weekend, but I don't know who had them. Perhaps someone here does.

tim333
06-11-2016, 11:09 AM
I'm in Shorewood Ill, text me 678 773 5764. I have a pair, not perfect but very reasonable. Tim

sals54
06-11-2016, 11:36 AM
thanks spokejr,have only 2 studs sticking up,i want good grade of chrome covers.leonard

Adding the extra two studs is easy enough. Just replace the two shorties with the longer ones.

spokejr
06-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Adding the extra two studs is easy enough. Just replace the two shorties with the longer ones.

Sal should know, the set I'd like to sell he installed on the R1 engine I am building. Unfortunately the finish probably isn't up to the standard you are seeking. The catch is you would need the vented valley cover too and the one I have isn't plated. All the same, I'd let the set go for $25.00 plus shipping. If anybody is interested, PM me.

Ken Buchanan

leonard
06-11-2016, 11:03 PM
I called jerry he did not have any covers.

Chicken Hawk
06-12-2016, 07:10 AM
HI, I think this is the first time I'm back since my accident mothers day, my family and I are still banged up,but we are doing the bestwe can. anyways I'm looking for a pair of chrome valve covers for my 289v/8 64 cruiser,any suggestions. thanks in advance. leonard.

I have a pair show quality but not cheap.

Ted

leonard
06-12-2016, 12:42 PM
how much do you wantfor them,and are there 2 holes at the top were the studs come thru? were in Indiana are you?leonard

rockinhawk
06-12-2016, 06:02 PM
I called jerry he did not have any covers.I(f you send him some painted ones and some $$$, He'll send you some chrome ones back.

leonard
06-12-2016, 07:13 PM
that's not he said. leonard

Chicken Hawk
06-12-2016, 07:46 PM
how much do you wantfor them,and are there 2 holes at the top were the studs come thru? were in Indiana are you?leonard

There are two holes in each (like the original R engine valve covers. $295 plus shipping. Am located almost exactly between Indy and Ft. Wayne, about 60 mile from each. Or 3 mile south of James Dean's home town of Fairmount.

Ted

leonard
06-12-2016, 10:21 PM
thank you TED for the info. I guess I will have my valve covers chromed, it will cost almost the same as yours only thing I will save on shipping, and I will be able to say they are the original valve covers that came from the factory with the car. thanks again. and by the way HAPPY FATHERS DAY. LEONARD:)

Dwight FitzSimons
06-12-2016, 11:14 PM
Just one tidbit of information that one should remember when shopping for valve covers for a '63-64: Avanti valve covers do NOT have any clips spot welded on the VC for ignition wires whereas Lark & Hawk valve covers DO.
-Dwight FitzSimons

Jessie J.
06-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Parts is parts is parts ...but any opportunity to obtain needed parts from famous Studebaker racer Ted Harbit is a limited opportunity for active interaction with a living hero of Studebaker performance history.
An avid Chicken Hawk fan since 1961, I bought my R-3 headers from Ted some 20 years ago. Of course he won't remember, but I'll never forget.
Thanks Ted for the lifetime of Studebaker information, entertainment, and inspiration. It has been well worth every hour and every cent expended.

fpstude
06-13-2016, 02:45 PM
If you do have valve covers chromed be sure the fill tube is not included. If you do, the three layers of the chrome process will not allow the oil breather cap to be installed. I didn't know this and had to grind the chrome material off.

Chicken Hawk
06-13-2016, 03:25 PM
Parts is parts is parts ...but any opportunity to obtain needed parts from famous Studebaker racer Ted Harbit is a limited opportunity for active interaction with a living hero of Studebaker performance history.
An avid Chicken Hawk fan since 1961, I bought my R-3 headers from Ted some 20 years ago. Of course he won't remember, but I'll never forget.
Thanks Ted for the lifetime of Studebaker information, entertainment, and inspiration. It has been well worth every hour and every cent expended.

You're WAY too kind Jessie. Thanks anyway though, very much appreciated even if not deserved.

Ted

tim333
06-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Fpstude, I wish I knew not to plate the fill tube. As you stated, cap will not slide on.

jclary
06-14-2016, 12:10 AM
You're WAY too kind Jessie. Thanks anyway though, very much appreciated even if not deserved.

Ted

Ted, one of the highlights of my recent trip to the South Bend swap meet, was to meet you and your lovely wife. I was at your sales table, when some fan, rushed over, gushing over getting to meet "THE LEGEND!" As I watched your encounter with "The Fan," I also observed Mary Ann's reaction.:)

While you and your wife, are so gracious, and handle the attention with first class humility, it reminded me of something we have in common. The best way to describe it, is in terms of a good running pocket watch. (Especially a Studebaker pocket watch.) Like a person, a pocket watch is a fascinating complex assemblage of parts. It has a face, hands, and some look better than others. However, when you open up the watch, the hardest working part, is a rather delicate little wheel and spring..."THE BALANCE!" That's what we have in common. We both found, and married "OUR BALANCE." The little regulator that brings order.:!:

It was not just that little brief encounter I observed between you and your fan, but Mary Ann's quiet reserved grace, that revealed who keeps you well grounded.:) You two are a team:!:...and that's what makes you such a "LOVABLE LEGEND." ;)