Thermostat for 60 commander engine and new ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat for 60 commander engine and new ignition switch

Is there a modern cross reference part for a 60 commander that I can buy locally? Also want to bypass the starter button what ignition switch will work for that mine is bad anyway so I need a new one that I can use without a starter button. It's all for a 53 2R11 truck.
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

If you are talking about replacing the floor-mounted starter switch on the 2R truck, you would need to add a solenoid. The floor-mounted switch has large copper contacts to handle the amperage that is required to activate a 6 volt starter. A simple combination ignition/starter switch (like is used on modern cars or the later 12v Stude trucks) just activates a solenoid -- it does not carry the full amperage needed for the starter. The solenoid then handles the heavy load of electrons. A 6v solenoid, like those used on 6v Stude cars, would work fine, but an extra heavy duty cable from the solenoid to the starter would have to added. If you are talking about replacing the ignition switch on your truck, there are plenty of simple aftermarket switches available..
    Skip Lackie

Comment

It is a 533247 for the 160' or a 533257 for the 180' available at all Studebaker Vendors.

At Auto Parts Stores, all you "USED to" have to say is: a Large One or a Small One Please!
      There were only 2 AMERICAN CAR Stats in the day, yours is the Large one.
      That was before all the Import Cars and Engines arrived! Now they are all done by Millimeters.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        If you are talking about replacing the floor-mounted starter switch on the 2R truck, you would need to add a solenoid. The floor-mounted switch has large copper contacts to handle the amperage that is required to activate a 6 volt starter. A simple combination ignition/starter switch (like is used on modern cars or the later 12v Stude trucks) just activates a solenoid -- it does not carry the full amperage needed for the starter. The solenoid then handles the heavy load of electrons. A 6v solenoid, like those used on 6v Stude cars, would work fine, but an extra heavy duty cable from the solenoid to the starter would have to added. If you are talking about replacing the ignition switch on your truck, there are plenty of simple aftermarket switches available..
        Sorry failed to mention it's been converted to 12V the button it currently has is dash mounted and has a single small red wire connected to it. I can start the truck be disconecting the wire and touching it to a bolt in the engine bay.
        John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Sounds like it still has the 6 volt single small lead Solenoid that was activated by a simple Grounding switch.

You need a 12 volt (Ford) Solenoid with the 2nd. terminal for the Ignition 12 Volt boost to start system "I" term. Wire and a Positive (Power) trigger wire to the "S" Terminal from your New Ign. Switch for Starting.

Any Universal or Studebaker "START TYPE" '55 to '66 Ignition Switch would do.

A look at just about ANY Studebaker Wiring Harness Diagram Car or Truck from 1956 to 1966, would give you some clue how all this is wired, very simple really.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X