Need emergency brake cables for a 65 -66 flanged axle rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need emergency brake cables for a 65 -66 flanged axle rear end

I need the emergency brake cables for a 65-66 flanged axle rear end, N.O.S. or used. I had a guy get me a rear end out of a 65 wagonaire, well being a salvage guy he torched the emergency brake cables. They bolt to the backing plates, not like 64 and earlier cables.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

You would need to know if you need one for a Disc Front Brake car or Drum Brake Car.

Also what Body Type, that affects the Wheelbase length, and Convertible & Wagonaire Frames are different from all others.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-08-2016, 06:09 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The ones for the rear end should be all the same, i don't need the forward cables.

Comment

How many 65/66 convertibles were there?
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        You would need to know if you need one for a Disc Front Brake car or Drum Brake Car.

Also what Body Type, that affects the Wheelbase length, and Convertible & Wagonaire Frames are different from all others.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
          The ones for the rear end should be all the same, i don't need the forward cables.
          No, they are not the same, and the questions asked by StudeRich were legitimate. First, is it equipped with front drum brakes or front disc brakes? The rear backing plates are different and the attachment of the emergency brake cables to the backing plates are different. Secondly, the rear brake cable assembly does vary by the body style. Do you have an F, Y, or a P body, and if it is a P body does it have a sliding roof or not? Sliding roof wagons had the X member frame which requires a different rear brake cable.
          So your question can not be answered without specific information.
          The various part numbers are clearly noted in the Chassis Parts Catalog.

Comment

He said the rear end was from a 65 Wagonaire. Without the vin# or actually seeing the car it came from, how can you decide which cable is right? If the ends are still attached to the backing plates, perhaps knowing what car the rear end is going into would give an idea to which cables are needed.
            Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            No, they are not the same, and the questions asked by StudeRich were legitimate. First, is it equipped with front drum brakes or front disc brakes? The rear backing plates are different and the attachment of the emergency brake cables to the backing plates are different. Secondly, the rear brake cable assembly does vary by the body style. Do you have an F, Y, or a P body, and if it is a P body does it have a sliding roof or not? Sliding roof wagons had the X member frame which requires a different rear brake cable.
            So your question can not be answered without specific information.
            The various part numbers are clearly noted in the Chassis Parts Catalog.
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The discussion is obviously about which car it is going to be installed in - that is what we need to know.
              I see another issue here - he talks about bolt on fittings for the emergency brake cables and thinks that is a '64 and earlier style. The reality is that style was used on the rear backing plates of front drum brake cars while he may have gotten a rear end from a front disc brake car, thus the different type of backing plates. So...the question is...is he going to use the 11" non-self energizing drums that may be on the flanged axle rear end? His 10" drum tapered axle drums will not readily adapt to the flanged axle set up. Details details.
              Last edited by Studebakercenteroforegon; 06-12-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Stude International has parking cables

Comment

It came out of a 65 Wagonaire with drum brakes, it is going in a 54 K or a 51 Business coupe Or if i decide to cut the top off my GT hawk it would go in it, as long as they bolt to the backing plates i dont care what they came out of.

Comment

I would measure the cables on the car you are going to install the rear end into. Take the cables ends that have been cut and match that end to available cables that length or the next one longer. There are several ways you can adjust the emergency brake cable length on the front cable to compensate for longer rear cables. Hot rod shops do this stuff daily, so it's not an impossible task. The "Special ends" that bolt on the backing plates may be re-usable and custom rear cables made. These cables don't grow on trees so anything can be made to fit.
                    Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                    It came out of a 65 Wagonaire with drum brakes, it is going in a 54 K or a 51 Business coupe Or if i decide to cut the top off my GT hawk it would go in it, as long as they bolt to the backing plates i dont care what they came out of.
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
                      ... First, is it equipped with front drum brakes or front disc brakes? The rear backing plates are different and the attachment of the emergency brake cables to the backing plates are different. Secondly, the rear brake cable assembly does vary by the body style. Do you have an F, Y, or a P body, and if it is a P body does it have a sliding roof or not? Sliding roof wagons had the X member frame which requires a different rear brake cable.
                      So your question can not be answered without specific information. ...
                      As I count it they used three different parking brake cables in 65, and they were different than the previous year, 64 (even though it was the same "general" body style). And this from a company that was struggling to survive. Is it no wonder Studebaker went out of business???

If it matters (and do at your own risk) I had to alter my PB cables when I went to a larger muffler. Rather than splitting at the center they now both go down the drivers side, with the passenger side cable crossing parallel to the rear end. I used the small "u" bolt type clamps looping the cables ends back through. Five years and it still works fine.
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                      X