Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to see some round Studebaker motors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to see some round Studebaker motors?

The B-17 Alliance group in Salem, Oregon is having a fly-in and car show on Saturday, June 11. You can see the restoration progress on the Lacey Lady, a B-17 G that is being restored to flying condition and see some amazing restored WWII era warbirds, including "Grumpy", a B-25 that you can fly in-for a price..... Lacey Lady came from the factory with 4 Studebaker built R-1820 radial engines but was built too late to see wartime actions. The B-17 used to be a famous gas station canopy in Milwaukee, Oregon from 1947 to 2015. Bring your Studebaker for the car show!
    Last edited by 63 R2 Hawk; 06-07-2016, 06:09 PM.

I may be wrong on this; but I was led to believe that the Studebaker manufactured radial engines were REPLACEMENT ENGINES only. No B-17 left the factory with them mounted. There must be an expert that can clear this up for all of us.

I always thought an engine runs on fuel and a motor runs on electricity... but I might be wrong on that as well.

Comment

This B-17 has less than 50 hours total air time and the motors are original to the plane. so apparently one plane came from the Lockheed-Vega plant with Studebaker built Wright engines. Here's the "rest of the story"...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
        I may be wrong on this; but I was led to believe that the Studebaker manufactured radial engines were REPLACEMENT ENGINES only. No B-17 left the factory with them mounted. There must be an expert that can clear this up for all of us.

I don't believe that's true. Studebaker was one of several suppliers for engines. In fact, I've read Studebaker was the only supplier for R-1820 engines for some period of time as Wright was heavily engaged in other engine production which required license built production.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

While watching 'Red Tails' the other night it hit me---

There were an awful lot of Studebaker and Packard powered airplanes fighting in Europe!!!
          Think about it- an SP success before the company existed...

StudeDave '57
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            While watching 'Red Tails' the other night it hit me---

There were an awful lot of Studebaker and Packard powered airplanes fighting in Europe!!!
            Think about it- an SP success before the company existed...

StudeDave '57
            Yes indeed, Studebaker, and to a greater extent, Packard built some beautiful airplane engines, best in the world.

Too bad they couldn't build cars cost-plus after the war. They would have been expressive, but....

Comment

Packard actually improved on the licensed Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. They showed Rolls-Royce engineers how to make the engine with better quality bearings and increase parts interchangeability. The Rolls-Royce engineers and assemblymen were true craftsman but their engines were built to craftsman standards that lacked the degree of interchangeable parts needed for a military engine that American car makers were accustomed to. The same went for British rifles...to increase production they relaxed tolerances and simply tolerated lack of interchangeable parts.

The same can be said for the American aviation industry gearing up for WWII production. Prior to that aircraft orders from the government were small and each aircraft was more or less custom aircraft. It was the American auto industry that showed the aviation industry how to implement assembly line procedures and mass production techniques. Doing so overwhelmed the the German and Japanese war machines...they had little hope of matching our industrial production.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute;

I always thought an [COLOR=#ff0000
                engine runs on fuel[/COLOR] and a motor runs on electricity... but I might be wrong on that as well.[/B]

.....semantics!

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  The B-17 Alliance group in Salem, Oregon is having a fly-in and car show on Saturday, June 11. You can see the restoration progress on the Lacey Lady, a B-17 G that is being restored to flying condition and see some amazing restored WWII era warbirds, including "Grumpy", a B-25 that you can fly in-for a price..... Lacey Lady came from the factory with 4 Studebaker built R-1820 radial engines but was built too late to see wartime actions. The B-17 used to be a famous gas station canopy in Milwaukee, Oregon from 1947 to 2015. Bring your Studebaker for the car show!
                  http://www.b17alliancegroup.com/
                  My wife and I will be there by mid to late morning in our '55 President. The boyfriend of a person I work with will be flying his plane in a formation over the museum at around noon. Look forward to meeting you finally. Our car is yellow and white with "Antique" vehicle plate. I hope we get a good Studebaker turnout.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The threat title made me think of Clark Floor sanders & polishers. Got all excited for a moment......

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      The threat title made me think of Clark Floor sanders & polishers. Got all excited for a moment......

Chris.
                      Studebaker 1963 holdings included the following enterprises:

Comment

Def Mute -

Semantics have nothing to do with it...you are correct.
                        But being the simple people we are...motor is easier to say...so in much of todays world, a "motor" is BOTH an (fuel powered) engine and a (electricity powered) motor..!

According to both the dictionary and the fellows at MIT -
                        An engine is fuel powered.
                        A motor, is electricity powered.

Mike

Comment

Went to this event on Saturday and had a very good time. There were just 2 Studebakers there, both owned by an "Ed". The Lacey B-17 was in a relatively small hangar in pieces but it was good to see it again. One of the Studebaker engines was sitting on a pallet on the floor where it was accessible. What a monster. The Studebaker plate was right there but that was when I realized I had forgotten to bring my camera. Dang! There was also a B-15 Mitchell Bomber that you could win a chance to go for a ride in. There were lots of classic military vehicles there including a half-track that was running around giving people rides. We stayed for a couple of hours and enjoyed every minute of it. Made some new friends and finally had a chance to meet Ed Conn from Independence Oregon (63 R2 Hawk), who started this thread. Thanks, Ed. We drove the President there and back on the back country road into Salem and enjoyed the scenery.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I'm a member of the Commemorative Air Force...formerly known as the Confederate Air Force. In fact, last month's CAF magazine is pretty much dedicated to the B17. In the article is a Studebaker shout out:

"Starting the Studebaker-built engines is a two-man job, requiring a coordinated chorus of hand movements. The big radials start one or two cylinders at a time and produce prodigious volumes of black smoke while barking and banging, eventually mellowing into a smooth rumble."

It was pretty nice to see the Studebaker mention in the article. The description of starting the engines also sounds similar to some other Studebaker V-8's in cars I've heard on occasion.

Comment

Thanks, Ed, for helping the Studebaker turnout! Glad you enjoyed the Warbirds show. I was busy filling in for volunteer needs so I didn't get a chance to spend much time socializing. Maybe next year we'll have THREE Studebakers show up!!

Comment

Working...
                              X