Rear side glass weatherstrip channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Rear side glass weatherstrip channel

How is the rear side glass weatherstrip channel attached to the glass frame, rivets? 1963 Hawk. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160607_150518.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1751127

I'm not real sure what I'm looking at in the photo. There is no weatherstrip attached to the rear door glass, other than the stainless steel that goes around the window glass. Could you include some additional photos. It kind of looks like the piece that screws over the door.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

It's a 2Dr hardtop. The l/r glass, or 1/4 glass has a weatherstrip inside a chrome channel that attaches to the chrome frame on the leading edge of the glass. The channel has holes in it, the chrome edge on the glass has corresponding broken rivets or screws. That's the weatherstrip in the channel I have displayed in front of the 1/4 glass. ( I don't know why the pic is sideways, it's vertical in my phone file)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tim333; 06-07-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

The holes you are seeing may be from spotwelds failing and pulling through.

Comment

A tricky repair. done the right way, with chrome frame is taken off the 1/4 window and fuzz channel holder reset to leading edge of frame on the old spot weld dimples. now a talented welder can plug weld the pieces together.before completing the repair you need to figure out why the channel broke loose. poor window adjustment or old age! luck Doofus

Comment

Is that the weather strip side showing in the photo? Flip it 180 and show the other side. Is this the Craigslist car? That piece is a pain, will require removal of the 1/4 glass from the car, removal of the stainless glass frame from the glass, then re-spot welding without too much heat or it will discolor the stainless. Button welds would require too much heat, I'd just spot weld in different spots. Maybe a little silver solder over the old weld ears will cover up the holes if still showing enough to bother you. The old left over "rings" will be covered by the weather strip. I guess 50 plus years of opening and closing the door finally caught up to it. The car is worth the effort though.
            Last edited by karterfred88; 06-08-2016, 06:43 AM.

Comment

It's the Craigslist car. Didn't realized the piece was off the car, found it in the trunk when detailing. The angle in the photo is showing the smooth edge that attaches to window, the other side no shown has the weatherstrip that slides into the groove.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                It's the Craigslist car. Didn't realized the piece was off the car, found it in the trunk when detailing. The angle in the photo is showing the smooth edge that attaches to window, the other side no shown has the weatherstrip that slides into the groove.
                The reason I asked is that it appears to have some sort of sealant on it, which would indicate it was "reattached" at one point, as I don't believe "weld through" primer existed back then, and no way to apply it while together. Unless, it is actually riveted and the rivets let go, then you could tear it down, drill new holes and re-rivet it without heat,

Comment

Seems like it was riveted, funny...didn't leak when I took it thru car wash to get cobwebs cleaned from the underside.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                    Seems like it was riveted, funny...didn't leak when I took it thru car wash to get cobwebs cleaned from the underside.
                    Wow, the one I owned in 1966 leaked like a sieve even in the rain, kept a towel in the car all the time!

Comment

Working...
                    X