1947 M5 shock upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: 1947 M5 shock upgrade

I'm restoring my father's old truck and I want to change the shocks over to the tube type shocks. Does anyone have part numbers, drawings, photos or any other information on how I can do the upgrade ? I'm installing my grandfather's 1960 Lark 259 V8 and 3 speed w/OD into truck. I've gotten new leaf springs to handle the extra weight. I would like to convert to all wheel disc brakes on it too, any opinions about doing that ? I was going to use Turner Brake conversion for that. I would appreciate any help. Thank you for your time, PapaJoe

First, welcome to the Forum. You will get responses from those that have done this conversion and will have a head start with the work.
    I know you can contact Jim Turner and get as much info on the brakes as you need...plus more.
    You're from my hometown. Born in South Bend and raised in Mishawaka........Go Cavemen. Moved to Arizona after getting out of active duty in 1969. Will be back there for part of the summer visiting relatives and to attend my 50TH HS Reunion.
    If we extend our vacation, we will try to hook up with the Michiana club for "Drive Your Studebaker Day" in September. Tried last year but there was a major communication breakdown with the person in charge. Anyway, might see you there or at another function. Just keep an eye out for a Maderia Red 66 Daytona with a white top.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

If you haven't seen it already, check out these photos. It may answer some of your questions. I saved the link in case I ever get started on my M series. https://www.flickr.com/photos/707161...7622369403675/
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Good luck with the 47...we're over doing one now as well
        Click image for larger version

Name:	House and Caseys 4 link 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1705947Click image for larger version

Name:	House and Caseys 4 link 008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1705948
        Bill Foy
        1000 Islands, Ontario
        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Dave Molnar, also in Mishawaka, has done many of the things with his M5 that you are thinking about. The link below shows some of the details. He supercharged his champion engine.

I put a Lark 259 in mine with a 700R4 transmission and a Chevy 10-bolt rear end (Dave has the same rear end in his truck). Talk to Dave.

Comment

I want to Thank everyone for their responses , but does any one have a part number for standard shocks that I could install on the truck ?

Comment

Working...
            X