Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 GT: 4-speed, full dash, no radio!

Kind of an odd combination :

Page Not Found. Here are some quick links to the top Mecum Auctions pages to get you back on track quickly.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

If you want to go fast the radio is just extra weight.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Must have been ordered by one of George K's cousins, Bob!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe the original buyer was deaf?
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

This just shows that there were CASOs at least as far back as the early 1960s. I have two Studebakers that were ordered in a similar manner: (1) '64 Hawk, R1, 4-spd, vinyl roof, but manual steering and drum brakes; and (2) '64 Cruiser, R1, but again manual steering and drum brakes.
          -Dwight FitzSimons

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Kind of an odd combination.
            Not too unlike that '56 Cambridge Gray Golden Hawk with special order red leather interior sold by Palma Motors. As I recall, it didn't have a radio, either.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Not too unlike that '56 Cambridge Gray Golden Hawk with special order red leather interior sold by Palma Motors. As I recall, it didn't have a radio, either.

Craig
              To clarify, the leather seat covers in above '56 Golden Hawk were installed by a local upholstery shop before car was delivered to first owner....(was NOT a FACTORY leather interior)

Comment

Craig
                That's right, Craig; it did not. Good memory.

Furthermore, when it surfaced years later in the mid-nineties, it still had the radio blank-off plate in it...and to the best of my knowledge, still does today even though it has been fully restored. BP.
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Almost 30 years ago; I remember seeing a 1969-71 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hardtop fitted with a radio block off plate despite having power windows, AC, AT and the other 'expected' luxury car features of the era.
                  --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                    Almost 30 years ago; I remember seeing a 1969-71 Chrysler New Yorker 4 door hardtop fitted with a radio block off plate despite having power windows, AC, AT and the other 'expected' luxury car features of the era.
                    Strange though it may sound, some new car buyers just didn't want radios in their cars. I had an uncle who bought Packards then Chryslers and he specified no radio in those cars. Then in the mid-80s I sold a very nice '60 Hawk that had a signal-seeking radio. My buyer was a music professor at a local college. He didn't want the radio in the Hawk. He said that when he was driving his '53 some years earlier he got so caught up in the music he was listening to that he ran off the road and wrecked the car. Yes, he was kind if strange. And the '64 right-hand-drive Hawk I brought back from England didn't have a radio either.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

In the fall of 1968 with very little money I order a new 1969 Corvette convertible. The only option I ordered was whitewall tires. That meant it came with a 3-speed manual transmission, no power steering or brakes and no radio. The only radio they offered was an am/fm for $180 and I thought that was a rip off. I made many long and quiet trips with the car from California to Indiana.

Ed

Comment

At least someone coughed up the money to get the tach and clock - that dash would look even more strange with all those instruments crammed into the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          To clarify, the leather seat covers in above '56 Golden Hawk were installed by a local upholstery shop before car was delivered to first owner....(was NOT a FACTORY leather interior)
                          Do your research! (For once!)

Craig

Comment

Do your research! (For once!) Craig
                            Right, Craig; here you go: T (Trim) Special denoted on Studebaker's Production Order for the car...and on the selling dealer's original Retail Bill of Sale:

Isn't this fun? BP

Comment

Maybe hard to hear the radio with all the rattles and creeks?

Comment

Working...
                              X