the end of Permatex #2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: the end of Permatex #2 ?

Rebuilding my 289 V8, and stopped at the BIG CARQUEST (where they stock all the auto repair and restoration supplies, vs the smaller ones by my house that typically are a little less "well-stocked".
    I stopped to pick up some Permatex #2, and Ultra-blue RTV, and after five minutes (I'm stubborn) I finally asked the guy where the Permatex #2 was. He said "oh, I don't think we are going to stock that any more, but I happen to have one left in a box behind the counter" (which I bought).

He figures it is being replaced by all the new RTVs (every Crayola color!), due to no new cars using our "obsolete" cork gaskets and such anymore.
    I usually used Permatex High-Tack (somehow I got it in my head that was "#2" in my recent posts), and I couldn't find THAT there either, though I have a full can at home. Wonder if that is no longer "used" any more either? I always used High-Tack on bolts/screws that go into the engine chamber or coolant areas to prevent leaking through the threads.

Any of you finding Perma #2 not available in your local parts store? This guy may not know what he was talking about, but is very possible considering the all aluminum engines and elimination entirely of cork gaskets in modern cars (or ANY gaskets in many applications!)

I also hear they have electric motors for starting now days! What will they think of next!?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

If nothing else, try google, of course.

Comment

Still listed on the Permatex website so, hopefully, it remains available.

Comment

All the major local FLAPS here carry it-the spray on "high tack" seems to have disappeared though. Most of these stores work off fast turnover items only.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
            All the major local FLAPS here carry it-the spray on "high tack" seems to have disappeared though. Most of these stores work off fast turnover items only.
            Yes, and that's poor planning. K Mart and Target cut way back on the automotive products, and now I don't go to either store anymore. Radio Shack dropped many electronic parts and stocked more toys and telephones, so I no longer go there either. It doesn't pay to keep dropping the slowest moving items, because people shops for a good variety of things, and the more they find in one store, the more they will return to that store.

Comment

CarQuest and Advance Auto have merged, and from what I see, it dumbed down CarQuest and reduced inventory. And four of our NAPA franchises were purchased recently, the new owner deciding to get rid of the Dorman bins. It's looking grim around here.
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

Oh... #2 will be around for a long time.
                Auto parts chain stores... Who knows?
                They only stock what sells in 90 days.
                Now they are selling food, and trinkets, instead of parts and supplies.
                Being 15 miles from town, I do appreciate the home delivery aspect of some of the chains.
                Also like the order online and pick up at the store feature.

Of interest is the Carquest website has no ability to look up and order parts (except for tools).
                They just dump you onto the Advance Auto Parts website.

They have #2 Permatex listed, so it is still readily available..

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Interesting comments all; thanks. I hate seeing CARQUEST stock less, as they are right down the road from my job, and they give me a 3M discount because of all the body shops that use them as a distributor for all the 3M body-shop products. ;-) But was strange to see a whole WALL of sealants, with no Perma #2, and no High-Tack of any kind. Yeah, will be online for years, or as long as there are people still using it anyway to make it worth their while. As many posts have indicated, lots of ways to skin the sealant cat WITHOUT using that, just an observation on my part. Life and restoration would go on with #2.... Just interesting.

Comment

As indicated in the photo above, Permatex #2 is very much available. I just bought a tube last week at a local NAPA store. They just modernized the packaging. It's still the same great stuff.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

just picked up Permatex High Tack (the kind in a can with a cotton-ball dauber) at my nearby O'Reilly's (used to be Checker) and they had Indian Head Gasket Shellac on the shelf next to it.
                      sigpic
                      JohnP, driving & reviving
                      60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I have not used Permatex for many years, now use high temp silicone for just about everything. My main objective is something that seals, and which can be removed without having to spend a lot of time scraping the gasket surfaces.

Some of the motorcycle manufacturers have their own equivalent of Hightac, available at their parts counters.
                        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

One word of caution, Permatex #2 is soluble in alcohol. So, it is not safe to use around today's gasoline blends. About thirty years ago I was working on a vehicle with a lot of rust in the gas tank. An old mechanic friend of mine told me to put a handful of nuts and bolts with some gas and shake it to get all the loose rust out. Then I bought the largest tube of Permatex #2 and diluted it with some denatured alcohol. Sloshed that mixture in the tank for a few hours then drained it and let it dry for a few days. The Permatex sealed the tank and stopped any rust from getting to my fuel filter. Had to be careful not to use gasoline with alcohol. Neal

Comment

Tinfoil Alert! It is all a big conspiracy to first of all eliminate repair of all older cars & trucks therefor getting them off the road for good and pricing new cars so high no one can afford them therefore forcing everyone except the masters to use public transportation therefor creating the drone society. That is the way I read it in an old science fiction book and we all know scifi is fantasy or is it?

Comment

Working...
                            X