Buying an exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an exhaust system

I need to get an exhaust system for my running project car. I live in modern suburbia and need to keep my non-car appreciative [}]neighbors happy. The previous owner cut off the pipe about a foot below the manifold. It is a '48 Champion. The car is not street legal yet, (no lights, license, etc.) but occasionally gets excercised with discretion. I do not have a car trailer, nor wish to incur the expense of having it hauled to a local muffler shop.

QUESTIONS:

Do long-established local muffler shops have patterns for older cars to fabricate systems from?

Has anyone used Kepich Exhaust for their Studebakers? They used to be a big advertiser in Hemming's and offer complete systems for Studebakers. ($160 + 40 for shipping.) That means they must have patterns or diagrams, right? kepichexhaust.com

I have a complete (very rusty and fragile) exhaust system on an identical parts car, but the last 18" or so have been bashed and bent so badly it no longer exits the rear body line where it is supposed to. So I would be hesitant to remove it, take it to a muffler shop and say "Make one of these for me." It is important that the tailpipe be just right to exit through the gap in the rear gravel pan deflector.

Suggestions?

KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Call SASCO unless you want stainless, then Silvertone.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Call SASCO unless you want stainless, then Silvertone.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Your "non-car appreciative neighbors" may be happy to hear it roar away if they know it will return with a lovely resonance.

I have no experience with Kepich. If you google them, you will find the first hit to be their web site. The next four hits are sites that advise you to avoid them.

Many long-existing shops have retained their patterns. You would need to call around.

Mr. Simmons, at Silvertone Exhaust Systems, supplies the complete '48 Champion system in 409 stainless, including the muffler, for $325.

SASCO may have what you need, as may SI. Packard Farms made the system for my Rockne fifteen years ago. They were bought out by SI.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Your "non-car appreciative neighbors" may be happy to hear it roar away if they know it will return with a lovely resonance.

I have no experience with Kepich. If you google them, you will find the first hit to be their web site. The next four hits are sites that advise you to avoid them.

Many long-existing shops have retained their patterns. You would need to call around.

Mr. Simmons, at Silvertone Exhaust Systems, supplies the complete '48 Champion system in 409 stainless, including the muffler, for $325.

SASCO may have what you need, as may SI. Packard Farms made the system for my Rockne fifteen years ago. They were bought out by SI.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:I have no experience with Kepich. If you google them, you will find the first hit to be their web site. The next four hits are sites that advise you to avoid them.
            'Course, the business maxim is always this: If a person has a good experience they tell one person. If they have a bad experience they tell ten people.

Does SASCO sell a complete system?
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Comment

quote:I have no experience with Kepich. If you google them, you will find the first hit to be their web site. The next four hits are sites that advise you to avoid them.
              'Course, the business maxim is always this: If a person has a good experience they tell one person. If they have a bad experience they tell ten people.

Does SASCO sell a complete system?
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Comment

So you don't have a trailer. No worry! Back in the 80s we put a header on my brothers Pinto. I know, what your thinking.[:0] We drove it open header to the muffler shop. We got pulled over. We told the officer that we put a header on it and were going to the muffler shop for a larger exhaust system. He commented on the sound and followed us to the shop without a ticket. As for the neighbors. If thats all they have to do, offer them a ride or something. My Lark is loud with glass packs for performance reasons. Even my motorcycles are loud. On day when I was out mowing the lawn with my new mower. One of my many cool neighbors told me that it was to quiet for me to be running. The next day at work I made a 5" straight pipe for it and bumped up the engine RPM's a few hundred. Its still not even close to the sound of my daughters Jr. Dragster running. The moral to this story is its a free country. Its your Stude! Don't let your neighbors tell you what to do your Stude.

Gordon

Comment

So you don't have a trailer. No worry! Back in the 80s we put a header on my brothers Pinto. I know, what your thinking.[:0] We drove it open header to the muffler shop. We got pulled over. We told the officer that we put a header on it and were going to the muffler shop for a larger exhaust system. He commented on the sound and followed us to the shop without a ticket. As for the neighbors. If thats all they have to do, offer them a ride or something. My Lark is loud with glass packs for performance reasons. Even my motorcycles are loud. On day when I was out mowing the lawn with my new mower. One of my many cool neighbors told me that it was to quiet for me to be running. The next day at work I made a 5" straight pipe for it and bumped up the engine RPM's a few hundred. Its still not even close to the sound of my daughters Jr. Dragster running. The moral to this story is its a free country. Its your Stude! Don't let your neighbors tell you what to do your Stude.

Gordon

Comment

SASCO should have it all.

JDP/Maryland
                    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                    spent to date $54664,75
                    64 R2 GT (Sid)
                    spent to date $62,439.30
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

SASCO should have it all.

JDP/Maryland
                      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                      spent to date $54664,75
                      64 R2 GT (Sid)
                      spent to date $62,439.30
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

All these years I figured when it came time to buy an exhaust for a Studebaker I would use Kepich. Long time Hemming's advertiser, (although not lately[8]) convenient, and good price. But here is the value of this forum. After reading rockne10's post about googling them, I did the same. I went and read the complaints people had posted on other sites. Now I know why they don't advertise in Hemming's anymore[V]. (Not allowed to--too many complaints. Think I'll see if I can remove the exhaust system from my parts car in one piece and take it to a local muffler shop to duplicate (minus the bent tailpipe section[B)]).

KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Comment

All these years I figured when it came time to buy an exhaust for a Studebaker I would use Kepich. Long time Hemming's advertiser, (although not lately[8]) convenient, and good price. But here is the value of this forum. After reading rockne10's post about googling them, I did the same. I went and read the complaints people had posted on other sites. Now I know why they don't advertise in Hemming's anymore[V]. (Not allowed to--too many complaints. Think I'll see if I can remove the exhaust system from my parts car in one piece and take it to a local muffler shop to duplicate (minus the bent tailpipe section[B)]).

KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Comment

I've found it cheaper to buy from a vendor, then to have a shop bend one up and it'll fit better.

JDP/Maryland
                            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                            spent to date $54664,75
                            64 R2 GT (Sid)
                            spent to date $62,439.30
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've found it cheaper to buy from a vendor, then to have a shop bend one up and it'll fit better.

JDP/Maryland
                              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                              spent to date $54664,75
                              64 R2 GT (Sid)
                              spent to date $62,439.30
                              63 Lark 2 door
                              51 Commander
                              39 Coupe express
                              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...